Suzuki Hatch 800 carby/overfuelling problems

Suzuki hatchback tech questions and answers.
Bill Lally

I have used one of those $55 kits from mlp you saw on ebay. The quality is good.
Dave

Hey guys,

I've just done the carby rebuild, replaced all gaskets and o-rings etc and it's still over fuelling :x

I've tried adjusting the float level which is a pain in the ass and still no luck.

My question is, what should i be looking at next as the possible cause? Fuel pump?

Any help appreciated

Cheers
Dave
Billie

Blocked return line?
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝
Dave

Ah didn't think of that. I'll have to check it out asap.

I'm still kinda thinking it's the fuel pump though. It's extremely squeaky/loud.

As soon as i try and start the car fuel comes out of every orifice in the carby. Could a faulty fuel pump or blocked return line cause this?

Cheers
Dave
Jermaine

what sort of fuel pump is it? the standard mechanical one or has some one put an electric one on it?
Billie

If fuels getting in and not out its the return line.

How about disconnect the line going to the fuel pump and put a bolt in it to stop fuel.

Might be able to help determine what is at fault.
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝
Dave

honda_mightyboy_rule Posted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:43 pm Post subject:

what sort of fuel pump is it? the standard mechanical one or has some one put an electric one on it?
It's the standard mechanical one. If it is a fuel pump issue i might look into putting an electric one in there, if i have too much trouble finding a new or decent second hand one.
Billie Posted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:45 pm Post subject:

If fuels getting in and not out its the return line.

How about disconnect the line going to the fuel pump and put a bolt in it to stop fuel.

Will try this asap, hopefully wednesday if the weather is good tomorrow so i can get the thing painted.

Cheers
Dave
Jermaine

Billie wrote:If fuels getting in and not out its the return line.

would be easier to take the return off nd seein if u can blow through it.. i doubt its a fuel pump problem.. as billy said it could be a blocked return line..
but.. the needle nd seat is what controls how much fuel is let into the carby.. the only way it will flood is if fuel is gettin past the needle nd seat.. which is cause by needle nd sealing, or far to much fuel pressure which is unlikely.. if its flooding before its even running then the needle nd seat must not be sealing..
Dave

Hopefully it's something as simple as a blocked return line.

I've just replaced the needle and seat with a brand new one so I don't think it's that...

It doesnt flood before running, however it will continue to flood for a while when its off, after it has been running.

Anyway, i'll have a play around with the return line and check out the needle and whatnot as soon as i'm finished painting, hopefully by wednesday, then post what happens in here.

Thanks for all the help guys! :)

Cheers
Dave
Dave

Hey guys,

Good and bad news.

I sorted out the over fuelling issue, turned out to be a blocked return line haha. Anyway, i unblocked it, re-adjusted float level again, went to close the bonnet and take it for a test drive, and i somehow managed to snap a bonnet hinge..? :? What a pain in the ass... :(

Anyway, I'd like to thank those who helped in solving the problem, cheers guys! :)

And if anyone happens to have a spare bonnet hinge laying around that you don't need, shoot me a PM.

Cheers
Dave
Billie

I got a hatch bonnet :) Freeee
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝
Dave

Hey team. Still having carby drama's with the Hatch, so I'll continue on in this thread rather than start a new one. I have the carby off the mighty boy out and I'm in the process of giving it a clean up, adjusting float, checking jets etc so I can try it on the Hatch and I've got a few questions I'm hoping someone can answer.

Questions regarding the thing circled in red.

1) What is it?
2) What does it do?
3) It's loose and falls out, should it?
4) If not, how do I go about getting it to stay in there?

Ignore the filthy float chamber, I'm in the process of cleaning it :oops:
Thanks in advance!

Cheers
Dave
Dave

One more question :)

The MB carby had the secondary throttle mod done to it, and it had a tube going from the front of the carby (normally goes to diaphragm) to the place in the red circle. As you can see in the pic, the Hatch carby doesnt have one at all.

Since I'm putting the carby from the MB into the Hatch, what do i do with it? Block it off? or is it ment to go somewhere? I'm probably going to put the diaphragm off the hatch carby onto the MB one.

Thanks again!
Cheers
Dave
Billie

Thats the secondary, use abit of loctite and jam it in there haha. Idk. that would effect performance abit.
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝
Brayden

Actually that pipe goes to the charcoal canister on an MB. You can just leave it as-is. The outlet on the front of the carby (that usually runs to the secondary) should be blocked off to prevent vacuum leak if you are running a mechanical secondary linkage. A simple rubber bung will do the job, and can be bought in a blister pack from any auto store.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.