Autotechnica Bucket Seats.

Suzuki hatchback tech questions and answers.
Dave

Hey guys,

Considering buying a pair of Autotechnica buckets while repco have them on special, $299 a pair, which i think is pretty decent.

Anyway, i read through the mighty boy owners section a few days ago and noticed some of you have Autotechnica seats fitted. Just wondering how much trouble they were to install and how well they fit?

If anyone can help, it would be great

Measurements of the seats in question -

Shoulder: 56cm
Height: 89cm
Depth: 53cm
Width: 55cm

Cheers
Dave
Brayden

They're easy to fit. Just need redrill the base and seat rails so they match up and weld captive nuts to the seat. If you're 6'+ plus in height then you're gonna need to rip out the parcel shelf in the back and make it a few inches shorter to get the seat right back.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
Dave

Cheers Brayden,

I'm 6'1, but i dont have a parcel shelf in the back so no problem there. Going from the measurements above do you think they'll fit nicely?

Cheers
Dave
Brayden

If they're the same design as the recliners that Autotechnica have been selling for the last 8 years then they will fit. Personally I have owned a pair for 6 years and think they are shit. The shoulder room is woeful and the build quality is rubbish - but what do you expect for the price?

I've replaced them with Sparco seats and they are a billion times better. If that's too pricey then I'd recommend at least looking at OBX.

P.S. My comment about the parcel shelf was referring to an MB. I forgot what section I was in for a minute!
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
Dave

Might look into some OBX seats. I'm on a bit of a tight budget now, what with the respray going on and all, but the Autotechnica ones have to be better than the standard seats at least.

I didn't think sparco, bride etc seats were ADR approved?

I'll eventually fork out the extra coin for some decent seats later on down the track, but for now something cheap should get me by.

Cheers
Dave
bomber

Yeah, you have to be careful with this.
OBX and autotecnica are ADR'd, I believe, across the board.
Sparco have the Sprint, which is ADR'd.
However, the Sprint V is a better fit as it's more compact. No ADR though.
Sparco said to me that 'technically the Sprint V doesn't have ADR approval but it's pretty much the same as a Sprint.' My engineer said no go as the seat was never tested or approved.
I have OMP seats, which are FIA approved, but that means jack.
I'd defy you to find any aspect of an autotecnica seat that isn't inferior to the OMP or the Sparco, but because both brands don't seek ADR approval, it doesn't matter.
So my OMPs are out at the moment as they are not compliant and I'm rolling with re-upholstered, re bolstered stock standard one piece back seats from an 1980 hatch.
My engineer said that my OMP seats posed no safety issues at all and as they were a steel tube frame seat, are safe for road use. Can't use them though due to ADR.
Dave

Cheers for that bomber.

Will most likely pick up a pair of Autotechnica ones for the time being as money is a bit tight because i have a few other things going on with the hatch at the moment. May upgrade to something better in the future though.

Also, the nut for the seat rails has to be welded to the seat, not just screwed on, for roadworthy/legal reasons, correct?

Cheers
Dave