F5a to F10a, recommended?

Suzuki van tech question and answers.
j-six

hi guys,

another query on engine swapping with the super carry.

recently i heard one of my friends acquired a f5a carby turbo.

would you recommend this swapping to my f10a, spec-wise and fuel wise, considering both are carby? or rather should i swap it to a more fuel efficient f6a efi turbo?

thanks guys. working on a limited budget with swapping on a turbo engine in mind.
[img]http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r223/cjjayson/jsix_banner.gif[/img]
gadj

From what I have read on the forum over the last 2 - 2.5 years, you would be best to either stick with the f10a or go for a F6b. I get the impression that the F5a is harder to bring up to the specs you need & the F5b (?) twin cam is harder to find parts for. (granted the F6b is importer only).
I'm not saying 'don't', rather, offering what I understand to be the simpler option with best result.
So many delays to getting my MB back in order with 993cc & 5 speed transaxle... neighbor issue gone, donor shell up on rotisserie, new sheds on the way.... another project also..
j-six

gadj wrote:From what I have read on the forum over the last 2 - 2.5 years, you would be best to either stick with the f10a or go for a F6b. I get the impression that the F5a is harder to bring up to the specs you need & the F5b (?) twin cam is harder to find parts for. (granted the F6b is importer only).
I'm not saying 'don't', rather, offering what I understand to be the simpler option with best result.
good point though...what's the specs of f5a and f6b?

another question in mind though...there are several f6a engines here, efi, however though the ecu is not included unfortunately...would you suggest that i get a new ecu from suzuki sport for the f6a and still make it work?
NozMonkeys

How much cash you got to spend? I would recommend trying to put a turbo daihatsu charade motor in. I know a guy put a 1000cc turbo charade motor into his daihatsu hijet. Perhaps try the 1300 turbo.

I've found with my K10a although it'l kick any other carrys arse and can keep up with the average car, but if I had the chance I'd go with a 1300 turbo. More bang for your buck. And if you gear it right economy will be on your side.

I just found the specs of a F6A (not sure if dohc or sohc)
F6a 61hp - 45kW
K10a 103 HP - 77kW
F10a 45HP - 33kW

I can't find any specs of an F6B.

My k10a is a very light weight engine. Unless that F6a is twice as light I wouldn't even consider it to gain 20HP. I take it all these readings are at the flywheel too.

Just my 2 cents.
Kei

Keep in mind that the F6A is a "kei" class motor.

That means the power is regulated to be no more than 45kw in order to comply with japanese kei legislation.

Typically, they get large gains from simple breathing mods, beyond what you'd normally expect.
NozMonkeys

What kind of power gains can they get? Sounds interesting.
Brayden

The 47kw is ECU limited, and you can easily add 10kw just by swapping to an aftermarket unit. Guys in Japan can get 180+hp from F6A motors, but that is using all the SuzukiSport fruit in the catalogue. ;)
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
NozMonkeys

That is nuts. My engine must have big potential lol. They must be running 20psi of boost with forged pistons.
j-six

@nozmonkeys: roughly around 1,300 AUD's. yup, you're right, as long as they are modded, kei engines respond significantly to stage 1 upgrade - the basic intake-header-exhaust upgrade.

in order for me to spare some time for the engine swap maybe i'll try swapping it with an F6a efi turbo. now the problem is there is no ecu included in the pack. only the engine per se. the reason behind, per my machinist, is that the f6a engines are bought only here since they were intended for replacement. so it's dang hard to find it with the ecu included.

brayden, mate, so would it be possible if i'd buy the ecu for the f6a if i'll get it at suzukisport, rather than having a hard time looking for an f6a engine with turbo and ecu included? (at least i'll get a refreshed ecu, at the same time more power than the stock ecu hehe).
Karu

Will a F5A / F6A fit under the seats or will you have to put it on an angle? If so I would imagine that would cost quite a bit of money to have an inlet manifold made for starters.
supervan

Karu wrote:Will a F5A / F6A fit under the seats or will you have to put it on an angle? If so I would imagine that would cost quite a bit of money to have an inlet manifold made for starters.
.............yeh is it smallenough to go in with out a slant does anyone know this as i would like to upgrade is it a clean swap or is there some customizing to do.also will this 1000cc turbo charade go in without to much messing around
....its not miles per gallon its smiles per gallon....

1990 f10a supercarry 5speed
small van big plan
NozMonkeys

Engine mounts
Wiring
If its EFI you need a surge tank and EFI fuel pump
If your tilting it you need sump modification and oil pick up.
Custom turbo dump pipe. My exhaust was a prick to fabricate due to the exhaust exiting right next to the crossmember.

Read my engine swap to see what I had to alter.

If your going to go 1000cc you might as well go 1300 turbo. Engine size won't be much larger and will give you a larger power increase. Why go 3/4 the way when for that little bit extra you could of had all the goodies.

I wish I put a larger engine in mine.

Radiator upgrade!! Mine runs hot on open roads.
j-six

Karu wrote:Will a F5A / F6A fit under the seats or will you have to put it on an angle? If so I would imagine that would cost quite a bit of money to have an inlet manifold made for starters.
the F6a engine was put on an angle per JDM model. it can run angular.
NozMonkeys wrote:
Engine mounts
Wiring
If its EFI you need a surge tank and EFI fuel pump
If your tilting it you need sump modification and oil pick up.
Custom turbo dump pipe. My exhaust was a prick to fabricate due to the exhaust exiting right next to the crossmember.

Read my engine swap to see what I had to alter.

If your going to go 1000cc you might as well go 1300 turbo. Engine size won't be much larger and will give you a larger power increase. Why go 3/4 the way when for that little bit extra you could of had all the goodies.

I wish I put a larger engine in mine.

Radiator upgrade!! Mine runs hot on open roads.
thanks Nozmonkeys the input =) K10a is my last option though. will try first on the "legendary" f6a/b engines considering they're more bolt on and easier on the budget. hehe. probs only that the ecu is missing in most cases. i may try to search well enough for the engine that sells online..