Carry Truck Questions : Oz vs JDM

Suzuki van tech question and answers.
gZerO

It's proving to be quite difficult to turn up info about Carry trucks in Australia and damn near impossible finding legible (I don't speak Japanese) info on Carry trucks in Japan. Can anyone on these forums possibly help with these questions or point out any differences between Australian and Japanese Domestic Market Carry trucks that I may have missed?

What I know:
Smaller engines (F5A, F5B and F6A instead of F8A and F10A)
Different model codes (DA71T is roughly equivalent to a SK410, except for motor size)
Different Options (4x4 or 2WD, Tipper, Truck or Ute Body, Some had option of Supercharger)

What I'd like to know:
Tare and GVM for JDM models (695 tare, 1410 gross for Aus, Jap = ?)
Compatibility (bolt in compatibility) with 'Australian' motors/gearboxes (Can I buy a 4x4 Import F5A 5 Spd and swap the F5A for an Aussie F10A?)

There are other things, but I'll remember them after I post this... :/

Cheers,
Lyndon

EDIT : Should mention I'm after the info on the SK410/DA71T Era trucks mainly, as that's the era that is allowed to be imported into Aus, so more likely to be some here or people with info on them... GA413 Jap equiv can't be imported (and the Oz version is almost impossible to buy) and the ST90 shape is prolly a bit old for me to be interested...
Last edited by gZerO on Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is a very thin line between 'hardcore' and 'totally insane.'
Karu

Lyndon, I do not know about the Carry truck but I have been informed that the van was never a Japanese domestic market vehicle. That maybe why you are finding info difficult.
gZerO

Pretty sure they were sold in Japan, just as an Every...

Suzuki seem to make stuff primarily for JDM, then provide it to other markets as they see fit, and generally with different options/engines depending on the market. So I doubt they'd make something for another market and not sell some version of it in Japan. They get lots of weird but cool stuff that we never see... Cappuccino anyone? :/
Karu

I thought the Every had the engine (F6A) in the rear. I maybe wrong though.
Brayden

If the van was never sold in Japan then my factory turbo Every van must have come from Mars. :lol:

Don't know where you got the idea of a supercharger though, Jap models only had a turbo option.

If you wanted to bolt in an F10A to a Jap model you'd need to swap the rest of the drivetrain too, because the Jap stuff has ridiculously short gearbox and diff ratios and they won't cope with anything above 80kph for long. Basically with a 543cc motor they had to gear them short to get around having no torque.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
Karu

I love my Carry but it must have been an uncomfortable journey from Mars. I went to get a part, I don't remember if it was in person or over the net but I was told that I couldn't get parts from Japan because it was not a JDM. Now I know i was false advice I can search there again when the need arises.
Brayden

It is true that the local 1L model was never sold in Japan - it was export-only. If you wanted to import parts for a local Carry model then India/UK would be better options.
gZerO

right, so no real way of getting a 4x4 carry truck that can do 110km/h unless it's a GA413... oh well.

re supercharger, just going by what i read here... http://translate.google.com.au/translat ... 6prmd%3Ddf
the translation is pretty rough, so maybe it means turbine superchargers...
gZerO

hang on... so even the 5 spd import carries would only do 80 or so tops? :/
Billie

Dont they have the same final drive as the f5a mb's and import altos? Why not put a different diff in? Easy fix, well if its 4x4 probz not coz you would need the same ratio front and rear.
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝
gZerO

and with the aussie models, when did the sk410 truck (and van) switch from round to square headlights? i've got photos of aussie sk410 trucks up to 88 with round headlights, but the vans were already square by that year... so confuse, and so hard to find answers :/
Brayden

Round headlights are the 4 speed base model, square headlights are the TX 5 speed model.

To answer your other question, yes the import 5 speed has a horribly short final drive.
gZerO

Any body differences between round and sqaure, ie, if you have square lights + brackets will they bolt straight in to replace round lights? I have just bought a 86 Carry truck with round headlights (guy says it's a 5 speed...?) but i prefer the look of the square headlights.
NozMonkeys

My super carry van had round headlights.

It requires a hammer, some panel beating skills and a drill. It's not a bolt on job.
kensvan

Gzero,there are two late model trucks 15 min from home,when i get a chance i will drop in-take some info on engine/box and take some pics to post in gallery...ken
i love my van