Billies New Boy

Browse through a range of Suzuki projects (NO tech questions here!)
Matty

280 for what? All front bushes and strut tops?
One day it will be DONE!!!
Billie

$280 for strut tops. Im sure i sore them for $99 somewhere.
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝
Billie

Alrite got a mig today. Almost didnt fit in my car, damn subs.

Anyone got any recomendations on cutting out the rear floor? To much rust to patch so i thought i'd weld a new floor in.

Also anyone who has fitted a sunroof to there mb how did you go about bracing the roof? I looked on the mightyboy ev site but was thinking two stripes of metal behind and infront of the sunroof to stop it sagging?

That can wait anyway. Just waiting on the f6a box too see what mods need doing for cable linkages and mounts etc.

Will get pics up of brakes soon. Rebuilding calipers atm, damn rebuild kits are expensive. Anyone know of cheaper rebuild kits then 40 for the back and 70 for the fronts, each. Master cylinder should be ok, the front pistons look pretty similar in size and the back will be all sweet. I'll just crimp the backs to stop them locking up :) jokes.

I got the mighty boy cluster in the mail, had a letter asking me to go to the post office and couldnt remember buying something so i thought i was in trouble. Has different plugs than the aus mb, so not sure on what to do yet, will post pics of it. Has rev counter and so on, hopefully calibrated right.
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝
Brayden

Billie wrote: Also anyone who has fitted a sunroof to there mb how did you go about bracing the roof? I looked on the mightyboy ev site but was thinking two stripes of metal behind and infront of the sunroof to stop it sagging?
My sunroof doesn't have any bracing at all. The sunroof frame gives rigidity.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
Billie

Sweet cheer Brayden. I was just thinking it would sag, but the frame on mine is pretty rigid so should be right.
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝
Psi_Wagon

all the sunroof's ive seen over the years have zero bracing also.
http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/showthread.php?t=180305
gadj

Billie, I have replaced the floor in 'the red one' with 2mm steel checker plate. the old floor is not hard to remove. Remove the fuel tank & hoses. Drill part way through the spot welds with around an 8 mm bit - I tried using a spot-weld cutter but found the drill bit more reliable & harder to break. I found an advantage in leaving a 'flange' around the fuel filler & breather pipes. I used the old floor as a rough template to prep the new. put the new in place for dummy fit up & mark any areas that need trimming up.
Once you're happy with the new floor tack it in place, then weld as needed (don't forget to weld to the sub frame to avoid vibration between it & floor). Before welding, I drilled 2 x 13mm holes where the drain holes in the old floor are & using 2 ball pein hammers & a pipe I pressed the hole into a small funnel shape. (pipe & 1st hammer used as dies, 2nd hammer drives the 1st). Go around the seams with Sika-flex or other seeam sealer before painting.
The roof is usually stiffened before the sunroof is fitted. There is usually about a 12mm lip of panel turned up at right angles to help seal the sunroof & stiffen the roof.
So many delays to getting my MB back in order with 993cc & 5 speed transaxle... neighbor issue gone, donor shell up on rotisserie, new sheds on the way.... another project also..
Billie

Sweet thanks gadj, i'll try drilling the welds out on the weekend and see how it goes.
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝
gadj

If you get stuck PM me & arrange contact. If you can get to Maleny I will be happy to show what I have done.
Unfortunately I don't have mine back on road yet.
So many delays to getting my MB back in order with 993cc & 5 speed transaxle... neighbor issue gone, donor shell up on rotisserie, new sheds on the way.... another project also..
Billie

Thanks gadj, i had a look today and it seems the rust is not only on the floor but the rear panel behind the cabin. Fixable though.
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝
gadj

Yep, mine was same. fixed what I could with new steel but ended up using Sika Flex to to seal more than I wanted (not so tidy)
Billie

I think i'll use extra tough body filler to neaten up the messy bits. Im not to fussed on what it looks like, just going for decent. Other good news is my back bar is almost on, when i say almost i mean i test fitted it :)
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝
Billie

I guess I should update this thread. Red mighty boy I bought back in novermber was just to rusty. Seat mounts,subframe bolts were missing/sheered off. Amazed it got a road worthy, none the less, what goes around comes around.

Anyway bought a new boy about a month or so ago. Its grey, has a decent paint job from afar. Engine bay and interior were not painted so I'm thinking just matt black to match the rhino lining in the tray. Its fairly rust free, abit where the water sits below the wiper motor, but thats expected. Have got new wheels for this boy, 175/50/R14 sonar directional tyres, not sure how they go but will see soon. Also bought 14x6 three spoke auscar rims with 35 offset, should fit without to much drama. Got some lowered Daewoo Matiz Springs for the front and lowering 2 inch lowering blocks for the back, still chasing up U bolts. Got the car off getting engine mounts done this week. The poor old f5a with nearly 400,000 on it just couldnt cope, 2nd gear up hills.

I'll upload some pictures for everyone once I work out how to get them off my phone and onto the computer. Also have brand new control arms, tie rod ends, front bushes ready to go in. Got the pedders shocks and rear bushes in a few weeks ago. Must say I like the 3 lead better, this single leaf seems abit jittery compared to the other 2 Mb's with the 3 leaf.

Only road worthy faults on this one that I could see was seat belts dont retract, crack in windscreen, wipers and washers didnt work, huge clunk from steering rack/column. Excessive movement in rear bearings and very badly worn strut tops. Plus one seat mount abit rusted, but fixed that. Handbrake worked, which is nice for a change.

Also ordered front and rear caliper rebuild kits for a 95 swift gti, hopefully they get the right parts. Will be getting front and rear rotors machined at work. Still need to get a bracket welded to hold the swift handbrake lever. Mate should be able to do that.

Will update with pics when I can.

Cheers
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝
Billie

Okay, got the car back tonight. Just need to pull the engine and box out and paint the engine bay/new engine mounts black. I'll update with pics once i sort this phone to computer issue out. Also got my wilwood adjustable proportion valve for the rear discs. And a way cool nut insert tool.
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝
Billie

Been working on mates cars and down in sydney the past few weekends so have done sweet f**k all on the mb.

Got a lil update, door cards are done, speakers are to big so the winder doesnt work, putting power windows in now. Will take pics of that incase anyone else wants to convert.

Vacumed the carpet and chucked it in. All the body work is back togeather. All vacum lines including the booster are set up.

All thats left is custom drive shafts, fix gear linkages and exhaust then i'll chuck her on the dyno.

Got a new htc smart phone thingy so will take pics and upload them soon.
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝