Clutches

Suzuki hatchback tech questions and answers.
Almost a Mini

Are there any differences between clutches fitted to F5 and F8 Altos, Mighty Boys, hatches etc?
While I've got the engine of my RS-X apart, I figure I may as well put a new clutch in it - from my limited experience, the clutch on the turbo F5A certainly looks the same as that on my old SOHC, NA F5A Mighty Boy. However, I imagine it would most likely have heavier springs to handle the increased torque of the turbo. . .
So, are the 'standard' clutched for the 800cc motors any 'heavier duty' than the ones for 550cc motors?

Thanks,
Pete in Perth
Brayden

Don't think there is any difference strength-wise.

I'm using an Alto clutch kit with my F8B and although it has straighter teeth on the diaphragm spring (which required an adjustment to the release fork) it works just fine.
The only problem I found was that the throw out bearing was the wrong size.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
Almost a Mini

Hmmm. . .thanks Brayden.
The only real reason I asked is because the online shopping section of the SuziWest website happened to mention different clutch kits for F5 and F8 engines (although they are both the same price, I think). To be honest, I hadn't really even considered the throw out bearing. Better check, I guess.
Just out of interest, does anyone know (or can someone count) the number of splines on a 4-speed gearbox input shaft - I just want to check that the plate itself is the same. . .

Thanks,
Pete in Perth
Brayden

I'll check tonight for you. ;)
Almost a Mini

Cheers. . .you're a great help as always. . . .
Erm, I don't suppose you'd have a pic of the throw out bearing(s) would you?
At some stage (tonight, if I get home before dark) I'll pull the bearing out of the RS-X, take a pic of it and send it through to you (I haven't got anywhere to host photos). It'd be nice to know it it matches up with any of the local types. . .

Thanks,
Pete in Perth
Brayden

I'll post pics of both the bearings that I have, along with measurements if I can dig out my vernier calipers. ;)
Josh

A man should never be without a means of measuring!
[url=http://www.tamon.org/?page=owners&id=10][img]http://www.tamon.org/forum/images/ute_specs.gif[/img][/url]
gazuga

ive got a new f6a clutch here you can have cheap if it fits. was ordered for mine but apparently didnt fit, possibly cos ive not an f6a, could be a 4wd f6a clutch too for all i know. get me some measurements and ill see how close she comes. can send pics if you need.
Almost a Mini

gazuga wrote:ive got a new f6a clutch here you can have cheap if it fits. was ordered for mine but apparently didnt fit, possibly cos ive not an f6a, could be a 4wd f6a clutch too for all i know. get me some measurements and ill see how close she comes. can send pics if you need.
Superb!
Upon measuring, the plate itself is170mm diameter, and fits an 18 spline input shaft, 19.2mm in diameter. The diaphragm is 210mm in diameter to it's outer edge and has 18 springs approx 2mm thick. It is a 'DK' brand diaphragm and has the number 7B12 stamped into it. It also has a spot of green paint on it, which may have something to do with the strength of the springs. . .
Sound anything like the F6A clutch?

Thanks!
Pete in Perth
gazuga

err no idea, its been sitting in the shed a couple years. will dig it out tonight and check it out for you.
gazuga

ok, plate 170mm, 18 spline input, 19.2mm, so the plates right.
diaphram, now my verniers dont go that high so measurements are with a plastic ruler :oops: 208-212mm, looks close to 210 but cant be 100% has 12 springs 2mm thick. dk branded(daikin) 2h23 stamped on it, black spot of paint.
will send some pics, see what you think :ohnoes: (hehe sorry, been wanting to use him since he appeared)

edit- no i wont send some pics, cameras batteries are flat oops..
had another dig around the box of crap i had the clutch in and have found what appears to be the bearing :/ will take a pic of it tomorro for you too, and will measure it up with a decent not so rusty set of verniers too
Brayden

Checked out the stock F8B clutch plate and it has 34 teeth on the spline. (Give or take.)

If you need the throw out bearing specs (or any other measurements) gimme a yell.
niiko

Turbo f5a 4wd box has larger diameter clutch than the f5a and f8b due to the different location of the starter motor.the throwout bearings are different internal diameter for the two different gearbox's as well
Almost a Mini

Brayden wrote:Checked out the stock F8B clutch plate and it has 34 teeth on the spline. (Give or take.)

If you need the throw out bearing specs (or any other measurements) gimme a yell.
Did you get the email I sent you (at admin@tamon.com) last night with the pictures of the throw out bearing? Anything like the one(s) you have?
Looks, at the moment at least, as though the F6A clutch is likely to be my best bet. I'm surprised that the F8 plate/gearbox input shaft are so very different from the F5 and 6 turbos. I guess fewer, coarser splines are meant to be stronger (I though it was the other way around?).
Anyhow, we'll see what gazuga (Mark?) comes up with and go from there :)

Pete in Perth
Colin

wrong email address

admin@tamon.org
MORE BEER! :beer: