reverse light wiring

Suzuki van tech question and answers.
havabeer

hi everyone i'm trying to get the reverse lights working on my st90 carry van for rego

the van has an F10a conversion with 4 speed gear box, i also have a spare 5speed

i pulled the reverse switch out and tried manually pushing in the bit of a plastic as it was quite worn and i though this might have been the problem, so i swapped over the switches from the 4 and 5 speed gear boxes and still no luck

even bridging the two red and yellow wires doesn't get the lights to light up

stepping on the brake pedal gets the globes to light up, but the globes have 2 filiments and i assume the other will light up for reverse. both filiments in both globes look fine

and i'm getting voltage to the red and yellow wires.

help??

is there anything specifically i should be looking at or testing with a multimeter to see whats getting current and what isn't?
rf4burns

Hey Bud I'm not familiar with the set up but if one filiment lights when ya foot is on the brake pedal then I'm guessing the other will light when the park lights on (guessing this is behind a red lens? :NFI: ). Usually for reverse (if your motor does not have a white reverse lamp)then the indicator lamps are used as reverseing lamps. So I guess I'm asking does your motor have a seperate white reverse lamp?
Get with it ,Get over it ,Get on with it .....OR LEAVE
havabeer

yeah behind a red lens and just looked and one filiment is for parkers and other for braking

but as far as i can see no separate white reverse light and i'm not even sure it has a place for it?? as there is just a solid red reflector down the bottom
rf4burns

O.K so as I said I'm not familiar with the set up but usually the the indicators are turned on in reverse if a seprate lamp is not there. Maybe someone else can tell us if this is the case with there motor?. If so then I'll try and give some suggestions to help ya out. RF4Burns
Or it'll be a case of fitting a reverse lamp or modifing it so the indicators do come on in reverse
havabeer

ok couple of pics just to show what i'm talking about

red reflector up top has globe with 2 filaments

indicator has 1 filament globe

bottom red is just a solid piece of plastic built into the light

how ever i just noticed this little buy in the tail light? is this ment to be considered my reversing light? just tried and light doesn't seem to light up but will fiddle some more

Tez

I'd say that's it... 8)
Tez
So the adventure continues...
rf4burns

I concur with Tez . Reckon thats the reverse lamp
Brayden

Yes, the light in your second image is the reverse light. The switch on the gearbox needs to be nominally off (down) and momentary on (up). This is the opposite of some other Suzuki gearboxes.

(I've just replaced the switch in my SK410 because the existing one was broken.)
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
havabeer

oh thank the lord for that...

ripped it out globe is blown. will go down to auto pro, etc and see if i can get another one and hope to god it fixes it. then its off for a blue slip tomorrow.

also why i have your attenion can someone tell me if my older style carry is ment to have a cat in the exhaust system? i seem to only have a single muffler and no real room for a catalytic converter to be put any where?
Brayden

No it was never fitted with a catalytic converter - most Suzuki's built in the 80's complied with ADR27C, which doesn't require a cat. (Nor any emission control equipment technically.)
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
havabeer

replaced the globe but still doesn't work as it should

if i connect the switch up and new globe in nothing happens. i connect 12v directly to one wire and the globe will light up

i measured across the switch contacts and i have 12v but if i press the button in i get 0 volts?? should i have switched earthed out to the engine?
rfburns

May I suggest refitting the switch,removing the bulb,select reverse turn the key ON (just before the start position not to far or :stupid: )with your meter measure the voltage (if any) between the bulb socket pin and earth. If 12v is measured you have an earth problem refit the bulb and give it a wiggle (may get lucky if the bulb is a single centre pin and earths through its body if its a two pin and you measure 12v try a little jumper wire from the bulb body to earth). If you measure 0v go back to the switch and check for voltage here (with the bulb removed 12v should be measured on two terminals) unselect reverse and voltage should only be on one pin (dont know how many pins your switch has but assume 2) if this is ok replace bulb select reverse and go back to the light your problem is here (if you arent blowing fuse's ya wiring's ok). Good luck
Get with it ,Get over it ,Get on with it...OR LEAVE!
havabeer

thanks for all the help so far rf

i did what you said and the bulb is only 1 pin with an earth on the reflector body with get a photo up to show you what i mean.

the switch is back in the gear box and with the selector in reverse i'm getting 12v across the bottom of the globe plug and the earth.
havabeer

rear

and front

there's a bit of white flakey build up in the socket might try and give it a clean out

also with key turned off, no voltage... key turned on voltage... earth connected directly to battery... no voltage.

god i hate auto electrics :(
Last edited by havabeer on Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rf4burns

Well bloke if you are getting 12v @ the centre pin of the globe socket either your bulb is not making contact with it or if you place your bulb back in and can still measure 12v on the earth side of the bulb its not earthed properly try a jumper from the globe socket to the body (I mean from the socket where the pin that retains the bulb is to a good earth on the body -just looking at the photo I'd guess its an earth problem and reverse lights will only work with key turned on -dont oftern reverse with key off :D )Ummm also be careful what you use to clean the socket or rust could become a problem
Last edited by rf4burns on Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.