MY Little Red MightyBoy

Browse through a range of Suzuki projects (NO tech questions here!)
ZUTUTU

Hey all, my name's Patch and I've been scrolling this forum for a while. Anyway, here's my story from when I purchased in October 2009 till now:

After having a corolla as a daily I wanted something different and something a little out of the ordinary also which was cheap on petrol, my weekender is a VL Turbo so I didnt wanna be paying my weekly wage to Shell constantly. So after searching for months to try and find a MightyBoy I stumbled across one on eBay. The body looked alright, he said the engine was fine and everything was stock with no rust at all.

So me and my girlfriend jumped in her car to make the trip from Sydney down to Cootamundra. We calculated it to be about 5 hours down and about 6 hours back. However, things didnt go to plan qhwn my girlfriends car ran out of oil in Yass and spun a bearing. After sitting at the Caltex there for hours, a mate of mine from canberra arrived to take me the rest of the way while my girlfriend waited for her brothers to come down form sydney with a car trailer.

I finally made it to Cootamundra, signed the papers and back I went to Yass to meet up with my girlfriend and her brothers waiting in Yass. As i arrived I was met with laughter and jokes about the car, something I came to love about owning the car.

This was when I arrived back at Yass

This is her sitting in the driveway when I finally got her back

With it being such a small car I hated it feeling like a 4WD so I promptly lowered it 2.5" in the rear and 2" in the front

I then got a sticker for the back window

I then used it to cart around a mates VL Diff for him, remember kids, "Safety First"

I started to rub it back to get it resprayed by a mate, also got my girlfriends dad to make up a dumpy tip for it

I decided to go two tone for the car

My original grill was crap so made one myself

Nearly there...

I then came up with the smart idea of airbagging the back of it

I got my dads mate to make a soft top cover for it and also special ordered in 12" chrome dress trims

I entered it in a Ute show and ended up winning peoples choice and even got it in a magazine

I then ordered custom numberplates

After wanting more power I purchased a 92 5 speed 1L swift to do the engine conversion. So out came the motor

And in went the 1L

I'm at the stage now where the front drive shafts are off trying to get modififed and I'm about to wire this engine up. I'll keep you posted with more updates :)
ZUTUTU

I got my modified drive shafts back from the shop today. They fitted 100% whilst still retaining all the original MB front setup :)

Tomorrow I'm going to start on wiring the thing up, though it will be a slow and steady process reading off two wiring diagrams and looking at two engines to figure whats the dealios.

My next hurdle that i have come across though is the gearbox linkages as the MB one is vertical whilst the swift item is horizontal... oh well, it may mean a trip down to brightline fabrications again :)
Husky

What new on this conversion? Any more success?
Cheers :)
upperkuts

this is awesome... who did the baggs for you?
ImageImage
supervan

any updates mate :NFI: it looks great :thumbup2:
....its not miles per gallon its smiles per gallon....

1990 f10a supercarry 5speed
small van big plan
ZUTUTU

hey guys thanks for the replies.

the engine conversion went well been driving it everyday to work and back for the past 2 weeks. It's amazing the power difference it now has. It easily gets up to 110km/h with ease and its a pleasure having a 5th gear...

I bought a front lower lip as my old one was wrecked and it had been off the car for nearly a year and the front end looks so much more cleaner. I also bought a momo steering wheel with boss kit for $50 :) :)

I have also installed new tubs in the rear of it but i still need to do some more massaging with the angle grinder so it doesnt scrape when its fully lowered. Plus i have 8inch bags to go into it too which have been sitting around for months now
Tez

How did you get on with the gear linkages...?
Tez
So the adventure continues...
ZUTUTU

I got Brightline Fabrications, who has been ever helpful with everything to do with this car and help me turn my thoughts into reality, to modify it.

We have used the standard mightboy gear linkage and the keep steady but as said previously the gear linkage on the mighty boy was horizontal and the swift was vertical, or vice versa i cant rememeber which.

We grinded off then welded the swift linkage onto the mightyboy selector. It took a little bit of measuring and so forth but it selects all gears perfectly now
nelpd96

I was lucky enough to have an entire swift so I used the swift linkage and gear shift as it was in better condition than the MB one. Got to love Mr Suzuki though because the swift bit bolted straight to the MB engine steady. I had to take about 200mm out of the swift linkage and bend it into an S shape to clear the steering rack to ensure that I could get, 1, 3 and 5th gears. All working well now though so very happy. will crawl under mine tonight and get some photos to add to my thread.

Cheers
Paul
MightyMagic

Hi, your little boy looks really good, and with air bags; im so jealous :) I was just wondering in regards to lowering your mighty boy were you able to get proper lowered springs for the front or did you just chop them? I'm having trouble trying to find someone who knows if I can get proper lowering springs. I've put 2"lowering blocks in the rear but need to lower the front desperately.
Thanks,
Jill
Good things come in small packages :)
Billie

Yep do a search the part number has been said a few times. Get sa swift struts and it should drop the front by abit.
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝
Brayden

Kingsprings KFSL12.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
MightyMagic

Thanks Billie and Brayden :) lots of help
Good things come in small packages :)
ZUTUTU

Just a little update on this.

Me and my mate repainted this yesterday.

Its Black over Red with a white pinstripe dividing the two colours :)

It looks really good, I'll post pics up soon
ZUTUTU

Photos...