Oil pressure sender

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
v8fazz

Can anyone tell me what thread the factory oil pressure sender unit is? I want to install a sender unit for an after market oil pressure gauge, while still keeping the factory oil warning light. I did get a T piece the same as the one pictured - 1/8 NPT x 1/8 NPT x 1/8 NPT but I found out the hard way that the factory sender and the hole in the block are slightly smaller than this! The 1/8 NPT is the right size for the speco oil pressure sender but I need the male thread and the second female thread to suit factory MB.

What size is the factory thread and does anyone know where to get a T piece to suit?

I thought about getting the male thread reduced to fit the factory thread in the block but that still leaves the problem of the female thread being a fraction to big for the factory pressure sender. Its so close that it does screw in but it is slightly loose and I dont want to risk leaks or failure.

Other options include an adaptor plate that fits near the oil filter to fit the Speco sender, assuming one is available for the MB. This would leave the factory sender where it is. Or maybe a different sender unit all together with duel posts so I can connect the speco gauge and the factory warning light to the one sender. Brayden, I think you mentioned using one of these.. But I would still need the sender to fit the factory hole in the block or get an adaptor to suit.

Cheers.
Attachments
011.jpg
Sometimes it's reassuring knowing I'm not the only one pretending to be normal..
v8fazz

Just found the Tridon web site that lists the MB oil pressure sender as 1/8 GAS. Not sure what that means but it explains why the 1/8 NPT doesnt fit!
Sometimes it's reassuring knowing I'm not the only one pretending to be normal..
Brayden

There are three main types of hydraulic threads - BSP, NPT and Gas. BSP is the equivalent of Gas, unless it is BSPT, in which case it is tapered.

MB is 1/8 BSP, but you can get adaptors to NPT.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
v8fazz

Thanks Brayden.

After driving around ALL morning I found a T Piece at Supercheap thats the same as the NPT T Piece that I have, but this one is all 1/8 BSP. It should be getting the end female thread re-tapped to 1/8 NPT to suit the Speco sender as we speak. If this doesnt work out as planned, I have managed to find someone who can supply the required 1/8 BSP male, 1/8 BSP female, 1/8 NPT female T Piece as long as you can give a bit of notice and your not in any great hurry. Took ALOT of searching to find anything. I would of thought these would be pretty common in a variety of different sizes.. Speco does list the exact T Piece that I need (#547-62) but no one I spoke to locally stocks them or is even the slightest bit interested in getting one in!

Thanks again.
Dave.
mowog

A gas thread is tapered so as you screw it in it tightens thus sealing. A straight thread needs a sealant to work work properly. I would have thought someone like ENZED would have something to suit.