help with mystery hoses and wires??

Suzuki hatchback tech questions and answers.
45tr0

so I've been tidying up some dodgy work done by the previous owner; he'd done stuff like stripping and twisting wires together to bypass the radiator thermo switch so the fan runs constantly.

Anyway, I had a couple of mysteries I couldn't work out...

What are these two blanked off rubber hoses for, and where should they be connected? I'm assuming these are either emissions or vacuum related. More importantly, am I gaining/losing anything by having them blanked off like this?

The first originates just behind the upper engine mount;
photo(2).JPG
the second one is the rubber tube running up the middle of the pic from the side of the intake manifold below the throttle cable.
photo.JPG

Moving to things electrical, WTF is going on with this wiring? Specifically, the four wires at left of pic not attached to anything, and the weird jumper between the connector joining a circuit from the +ve terminal?
photo(3).JPG
_ What should the four bullet-connector wires be attached to? (blue, red, 2 x black with white stripe)
- Is there a fusible link or something missing where the jumper is attached?
All of these wires originate from the same branch of the loom as the main +ve lead but I can't work out from the wiring diagram where they belong.
Brayden

Is this car auto or manual?
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
45tr0

Auto. Shifts at around 43kph under normal acceleration, and around 56kph with the foot down hard.

Just thinking, It also appears to have air conditioning but the compressor is disconnected (compressor pulley doesn't look to line up with the belt?) - could this be to do with AC?
Brayden

The wiring would likely be A/C related because Suzuki didn't use bullet connectors in the engine bay from factory.

The hose in the second pic is also likely to be A/C related, possibly running to a vacuum switch for the clutch. If it isn't in use it needs to be blanked off to prevent the engine running lean.

The first hose is to do with the slushbox. It is connected to a vacuum switch, but I can't remember its purpose off the top of my head. If your box only shifts to second after 40kph (even on very light throttle) then the vacuum switch system isn't working properly. The convoluted system of electronics and vacuum controls is a pain in the arse to get working properly. I have only managed to get mine right after a lot of trial and error, as the workshop manual doesn't have a diagram of this area.
shavenyak

45tr0 wrote: Moving to things electrical, WTF is going on with this wiring? Specifically, the four wires at left of pic not attached to anything, and the weird jumper between the connector joining a circuit from the +ve terminal?
photo(3).JPG
- Is there a fusible link or something missing where the jumper is attached?
That jumper wire IS the fusible link - it's the same setup my Subaru Sherpa and my old Hiace have from factory. Pain in the arse if it blows.. I would replace with a newer type fuse.
[url=http://www.tamon.org/gallery/v/members/shavenYak/][img]http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/7592/suzukicustomka8.jpg[/img][/url]
45tr0

Thanks Guys!
Brayden wrote:The wiring would likely be A/C related because Suzuki didn't use bullet connectors in the engine bay from factory.

The hose in the second pic is also likely to be A/C related, possibly running to a vacuum switch for the clutch. If it isn't in use it needs to be blanked off to prevent the engine running lean.
Cool - will leave well enough alone for these then, at least until summer when I might poke around the A/C some more and see what it needs... although I shudder to think how this poor engine would fare having to drive A/C as well.
Brayden wrote: The first hose is to do with the slushbox. It is connected to a vacuum switch, but I can't remember its purpose off the top of my head.
There is a vacuum tube connected from a black container near the left engine mount to a copper pipe beneath the airbox. The other end of the copper pipe isn't connected to anything... any chance it belongs here? It's the only evidently un-attached place for a vacuum hose that I can spot. Anyone else out there running an f8b auto who knows where this vacuum line belongs?
Brayden wrote: If your box only shifts to second after 40kph (even on very light throttle) then the vacuum switch system isn't working properly...
Hmm... at about 55, if I put my foot down it shifts down then hunts back and forth between first and second. it also doesn't seem to downshift easily after decelerating for corners, etc.

Out of interest, what sort of top speed should I expect out of a stock f8b auto? Seem to be topping out at the moment, foot flat, at around 88km/h on the speedo (although the tyre converter tells me this is about 95km/h on 155/80's).
shavenyak wrote: That jumper wire IS the fusible link... I would replace with a newer type fuse.
Seriously?! wow. So what rating fuse should I use?
Brayden

F8B auto can run out well past 130kph. I'll try and find the diagram I put together for the auto vacuum hoses too.
shavenyak

45tr0 wrote:
shavenyak wrote: That jumper wire IS the fusible link... I would replace with a newer type fuse.
Seriously?! wow. So what rating fuse should I use?
Service manual says 30A, so that should cover you. If you're putting a big sound system in just put that on it's own fuse.
[url=http://www.tamon.org/gallery/v/members/shavenYak/][img]http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/7592/suzukicustomka8.jpg[/img][/url]
45tr0

Brayden wrote:F8B auto can run out well past 130kph. I'll try and find the diagram I put together for the auto vacuum hoses too.
In that case, I definitely have some combination of poor tune, gearbox issues and dragging brakes. :(
45tr0

shavenyak wrote: Service manual says 30A, so that should cover you. If you're putting a big sound system in just put that on it's own fuse.
Thanks mate. I'm done on my days of big sound installs - a basic 4x50w head unit and a couple sets of basic speakers will do fine for this little thing.