New Alto Engine 1.0

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
zeek73

Hi Folks,

Was just wondering if anyone has had any measurements for the above engine with five speed? I believe around 760mm is around max for a Boy? Will probably give the guy a call that has one one ebay tomorrow and will let you all know.
Cheers
Pete
Billie

Wont fit allready asked him awhile ago. Same width as a g13b.
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝
zeek73

Thanks mate appreciate the response, probably why I've had no love via email. Very dissapointing :cry:
Pete
Breyten

oh bugger. was hoping to work that way.

still a good alternate to the g13b though.
ie newer, not as close to the hard limit.
1987 Suzuki Mighty Boy - F5A, stocker.
Work fleet, or Wife's Jeep Rubicon.
zeek73

Does anyone know whether its the gear box which is causing the extra width/length to this engine combo. Just hard to understand why it would be of the same dimensions as the G13 (though not doubting :-o )
Pete
Billie

Not sure why, but wont fit, i'v looked at almost every engine combo, g13b with mb gearbox - nope. lol.
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝
zeek73

Does anybody know the actual length of the GTI gearbox? I think I read somewhere that it was 15inches (37.5cm), can anyone confirm this as the new alto box is only 25cm....... Any chance of an adapter plate mating the two up, as there's certainly some length to be saved or I am I being to optimistic?
Pete
Billie

Eeven if you saved 50mm from using an alto box, you'd lose that with an adaptor plate, the 4th cylinder is always the problem. May aswell go g10a, easier and being done a few times.
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝
Breyten

or, be a pioneer..
A few poeple have fitted the G13B, with some panel work required.

Go for the Alto K10B, the same work would be required, but I for one think that the result will be more promising. 1L 3cyl, EFI and modern parts available.
65+ BHP, 90NM...
Whack a small snail or screw on it and you could start having a heck of fun.
zeek73

All fair points, but the K10B engine length is 600mm + the 250mm of gear box and is as Billie stated is as long as a G13B. My thought process was that if the G13 box was 375mm and you could save 100mm (adapter plate would be less than an 25mm). This would bring the total length to between the chassis rails or near to it. How a 1.3 4 potter can be shorter than a 1.0 3 potter I don't know and unfortunately like most thing this is all based on second hand information...Ahh to be able to have all the bits infront of you to sort out fact from fiction. You're right though the G10 seems to be the most logical bang for your dollar, if you can call spending money on cars logical :D
evilgidget

We have an alto come in through work from time to time. I've only had a cursory glance at the physical size of the engine, but it's quite a bit smaller than the current swift engine. Even though the M10 is supposedly a "new" engine, it looks eerily similar to the G10...
Best of all, it'll do 98 kph in 2nd gear when it finally hits the rev limiter :o`
Brayden

New Alto uses the K series engine, not M. ;)
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
Breyten

Brayden wrote:New Alto uses the K series engine, not M. ;)
Have you had a chance to look one over yet Brayden?

Missus was saying the other day "why dont you just buy a whole new one?"
This would be my pick.
Brayden

I've looked at one, and know of a couple of people who own them. Verdict is that they're cheap and cheerful, and worth the extra money over the new Chinese Chery.

Top Gear UK did a comparo between the Alto and other micro cars and it came out pretty well considering its European counterparts are more expensive and refined.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
Breyten

I was just thinking the engine... :P
I've only seen pictures and ones in carparks, but while it would need structural work to fit in a MB, not quite as much as the G13B, plus EFI, newer, etc