What are points.

Suzuki hatchback tech questions and answers.
Jermaine

mmm iv heard some storys from ppl, about some mechanics in town lol.. its hard to find someone decent without paying through the nose, boost automotive arnt to bad i dont think, my brother had his ute fixed there when i was away, said its neva gone that good before, but they are fairly up there in $$.. pitty u wsnt a bit closer, id give u a hand to change the points nd see if that made a diff
Littleblue

Yeah, i know what you mean about the mechanics in town. They are unbelievable in what they charge and the stuff they do just to get $$$. It makes it hard when your a girl and you don't have a clue of what is going on. That is why I'm on here asking silly questions.
You have to be willing to pay the big dollars to have it done properly. I wouldn't mind giving anyone a try. Hey Jermaine, if you wanted to get another customer i would be willing for you to pick up and have a go???? If I was living in Melbourne and knew their was a good mechanic 1hr away, I would definitely send it there.
mowog

there is bound to be a tafe course in basic mechanics in your area. well worth the time and money, thats how i and a lot of others learnt the basics, and points/condenser are pretty basic. and you get lots of odd jobs done on the car with the right tools and learn what other tools you need your self, and no mechanic can talk down to you. a set of feeler gauges and a screwdriver are all you need i don't own a dwell meter and never found the need for one, if it floats your boat go for it. you have to reset points every 10,000k or so, so it gets easier the 3rd or 4th time round.
don't forget to add a dab of axle grease on the inside of the rubbing block on the points so they don't wear out so fast, about the size of a matchead will do, not too much ot it gets on the points. make sure you get the insulation washer on the condenser nut the right way round or it will short out.
better still there are a couple of suggestions on here for an economical electronic ignition you never need to look at the points again; the only electronic device i am interested in having on my car, apart from a radio and electric fuel pump.
mowog

the stalling could be all sorts of things like crook spark plug leads, faulty accelerator in the carby, too slow an idle, some things you can adjust with a screwdriver others you need to spend money. i would put a new set of plug leads including the coil lead, and see what that does.also have a look inside the distributor cap, there is a small blck plug thing with a spring behind it in the top of the cap, that conveys the electricity to the plugs, if it is worn and a bit short it may not be making proper contact. you probably cannot get them new but a new cap would not be expensive and would probably help a treat. and you can do all that yourself. just do one lead at a time so you don't get them mixed.
Karu

Because the Carry engines are on a slant I find it much easier to remove the dizzy to replace/adjust the points. I can sit down and do it perfectly and replace it faster than I can adjusting them in the van. As perfect as a feeler gauge will allow that is. For some strange reason dwell meters will not work on my Carry. I have hooked up the best dwell meters available when I was at TAFE and it completely confused the teachers. I reckon, but I might be wrong, that it has something to do with the 3 pin coil. Dwell meters are a must for perfect tuning so I find it frustrating.
Billie

Yeah 3 pin coils gave us problems at tafe too.
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝