is this a fair price to get the boy painted?

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
arklan

went to a couple of smash repair places to get some quotes for fixing all the rust and painting my boy.
its got 3 bad spots, the usual 2 spots at the bottom of the front quarter panels just near the door where the water gets funnelled down and on the passenger side window pillar, rest of it is just surface rust.
the first guy took some photos and said he'd get back to me, second guy said between 5k-7k and 4 months.

is this reasonable?
Brayden

Hard to say without knowing exactly how bad the rust is, what colour/paint you've chosen and what the original colour of the ute is.

If you want the job done cheap try and find a place who will let their apprentices work on your car after hours for cash. That's how I got mine done and saved thousands. The result wasn't perfect but after a few months of wear and tear nobody can tell the difference anyway.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
courierguy

OR you can strip off the paint your self and then go back to panel beaters and let them cut rust out .. I've done this on my other car saved a few $$$$............ manny
Breyten

Keep looking.
Try smaller places,, maybe that are working on smaller/older cars.

Or, research, but some tools, practice and learn to do it yourself!
1987 Suzuki Mighty Boy - F5A, stocker.
Work fleet, or Wife's Jeep Rubicon.
cozza

come up my way either i can do it for you or there is a place here called right price i had the datto done there the whole rear window was rusted out lower front 1/4's and the parcel shelf where the boot hinge connects, i was quoted 1500 if i supplied the paint and 1000 if i just wanted the rust done, i got it done with paint of course but like i said right price up here is excellent. only place in my town that doesnt freak out at the sight of rust.
stevan_istheman

I just got my landcruiser resprayed for about $5500 cash...
Mine is Metallic grey so i think i got a good price. That includes a bit of rust repair, collision damage and various dents from shopping centre carparks.
I should think it shouldnt cost much more than that, depending on how much damage the body has and price of paint, etc.
I have heard of some paint costing up to $1000 per liter.
Just Sayin' :wink:
BAL4 Designs
For all your mechanical design and drafting requirements.
cozza

yea too right some paint is just way too over priced but i suppose it all depends on what you want, my mate had a vk he had sprayed in a one off colour, ended up costing him something like 1500 per ltr of paint and it was very hard to spray took the painter something like 13hrs just to do the bonnet because it changes colour under fluro lights, i brought the car from him and had the whole thing resprayed black because the greenish colour he had on it was a mongrel thing to clean, choose a wise colour depending on how often you clean the car and where your gonna be driveing it, black is good for a perfect body and a car cover, white is excellent if you dont wanna wash it for months plus white allways looks clean and you dnt notice small dints and scratches as much, silver is ok but sorta a pain with chips. ive got a white datsun that hasent had a wash for the 5 yrs ive had it and it still looks clean but it gets put in the shed everyday. my mb was sprayed black only a week or 2 ago and ive washed it every 3 days because it just collects dust too easy. so theres just a few things there for you to think about
bigmaddz

just stumbled across this im from newcastle nsw if anyone was wondering.. i got a quote for a brand new spray of 8000 has anyone had something so ludacris? whats some other prices around nsw?
Billie

I get my cars painted for free, any price seems alot. Average for that would be 5k though, rust is a bitch.
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝
holk

I give you all an alternative: WRAP IT. Once the damage is fixed, it is very easy to do it, particularly with the MB, because it hasn't any real curves.

Cost: Depending on Brand of vinyl and quality between $200 and $800 (for 3M Cast Vinyl).

I'll be doing one in the next couple of months
[img]http://www.tamon.org/gallery/d/11796-1/holk3-1.jpg[/img]
arklan

your gonna wrap your car up in vinyl?
Brayden

Why not? Cheaper than paint and easier to change when you get bored. I reckon its a tops idea!
Supera.jpg
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
Arctic Alto

holk wrote:I give you all an alternative: WRAP IT. Once the damage is fixed, it is very easy to do it, particularly with the MB, because it hasn't any real curves.

Cost: Depending on Brand of vinyl and quality between $200 and $800 (for 3M Cast Vinyl).

I'll be doing one in the next couple of months
Cool, have you decided what kinda vinyl your getting ? matte black, a colour or prints ?

Will be cool to see :)
holk

I am planning on doing my blue convertible Mighty Boy. I haven't decided the colour yet, but it will be plain. I have just bought the material for the soft top and it is black (fabric), so not planning anything radical.

The HOLK, on the other side, is getting pimped up during the next couple of week ends. A partial wrap to contrast the green. I will post pics as soon as done
[img]http://www.tamon.org/gallery/d/11796-1/holk3-1.jpg[/img]
Kartman

Busses, taxis, trucks etc, they're all vinyl wrapped. The Japs go crazy with manga, hello kitty etc on their vinyl wraps.i suggested it to a friend on mine who was thinking of a respray on a mr2 with a fibreglass body kit. The vinyl covers some imperfections and the crazing that happens with fibreglass. I beleive all you need is some patience and a heat gun and it will go just about anywhere. The thought was to do it like a military fighter plane as the mr2 has side vents that would look like jet intakes. Not sure how much the custom printing costs, but with the number of vehicles you see with custom printing, it mustnt be too prohibitive.