Rogan's Alto Works Project

Browse through a range of Suzuki projects (NO tech questions here!)
Rogue_Works

hey guys, i was asked to post worthy pics so here they are (sorry if theyre a little late)

the story with this car is that a good friend of mine needed money badly, so he set me up by letting me drive the alto... and the rest is history

shortly after purchase, the head gasket was found to be blown (although i genuinely believe the previous owner had no idea).

what followed was a decent rebuild with aspirations above limitations

so, pics will probably be out of chronological order, but, i'll start with ones i took today
front right full.JPG
"c'mon guys, it's not that small"
Rogue_Works

as you can see, its not the neatest looking car, nor the cleanest (and somebody definitely had a good go at it before me!)

ive been working on this for quite some time (having erratic income sources can do that), but what follows will mainly be a shameless picture dump:
rear left.JPG
dont mind the lack of side skirts, i have them around, but the clips are too brittle to get them on
Rogue_Works

another photograph, the interior this time

i hope i dont incur too much rage at this, but in my defence, the interior was r*ped to begin with

because i am rather long legged, i found that my knees hit the dashboard, so i adjusted the seat back, but then couldnt reach the wheel. so, after the purchase of a new wheel, i found i had to lean forward to engage first, hence the extended stick.

because of the extended gearstick, the throw was waaay too far, so i made a short shift kit and readjusted the cables under the selector to suit
driver over p closer.JPG
in before rage - there was no air con, no radio, the original centre console piece i had was a stailess steel sheet painted dark green and looked even worse than the plywood grain finish
Rogue_Works

i just finished uploading a video to youtube of it starting and idling, just for those who may be curious (EDIT: bloody d*ckhead: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sc2jXbaG ... UA94JsuvMT)

today was the first time i drove it in almost a year, so i was very pleased with myself haha
engine bay full.JPG
and that is where the magic happens:
1.0mm monstersport head gasket
ARP head studs
mild cams (custom ground - longer duration)
vernier cam gears
ngk iridium no.8 spark plugs
stock turbo
did have a turbosmart boost t, but it didnt regulate boost, at all (i.e. set to 16psi on a dyno, lets boost rise to +20psi)
stock clutch
250cc injectors
microsquirt ecu
Rogue_Works

i have more photos of the dodykit my father and i have been building, as well as the engine in the build, but it may take some time to dig them up.
Goofy[HSK]

Exxxxxcelent, how was it complied?
looks 1990+ to me

EDIT: ahh, dash and engine from HA21S/HA11S,
CM11V chassis?
'89 Alto Works RS/R - Awaiting: Paint, Windscreen, Compliance, Lottery
'89 Alto Works RS/R - Complied, Registrable, Awaiting Paint, Engine not running
www.hillsidekonnection.com
benny

Hey goofy, bit off topic, but u still building and f6a dohc?
Rogue_Works

@ Goofy[HSK]:

i have no idea how it was complied, it was complied by about the third owner before me,

the placard on the firewall states the date of manufacture as 1988 and yes its a cm11v chassis.

a previous owner actually did a decent job of the engine swap, but the dash swap was an abortion and a half, not a lot fits/works.
Rogue_Works

as promised, a few photos of the bodykit at it's current state

basically, using low density poly(ethylene?) blocks, we shaped these pieces to the car and how we wanted the final product to look. the style we were going for was "group b rally".

after shaping the blocks with saws, sand paper and knives, they were coated with a few skims of epoxy resin, a few of bog, sanded, bogged, re sanded and then painted black.

from these moulds, we will make plugs for a fibreglass body kit, allowing us to punch more fresh ones these out if i should destroy a piece.

so, after almost 2 weeks of solid work, here we are:
Photo0433.jpg
Photo0434.jpg
Photo0439.jpg
at the wheel arches, the "body" is widened by about 75-80mm each side, while the front bar protrudes forward about 100mmm further than stock. all of the front moulds are to be glued together to make the final product all one piece.

fyi - cost for materials, tools, consumables, etc. is about $600 (just if i inspired you, like i hope).

the idea of this kit is to have something i can throw on the car before a hill climb or track day and widen my track suitably. also, for added wtf factor.

side skirts, rear bar and spoilers are yet to be completed.
Goofy[HSK]

benny wrote:Hey goofy, bit off topic, but u still building and f6a dohc?
Not building as such, at this stage I'm just gonna throw in the engine as is (ex importer). (Unless new years lotto!)
Gotta get some paint on the engine bay at least first - dunno what colour yet :(

Kit looks awesome Rogan... I think
For my future reference, can you post any markings on the front windscreen?
And picture of door frame w/o door trim on if possible - got intrusion bars?
Last edited by Goofy[HSK] on Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'89 Alto Works RS/R - Awaiting: Paint, Windscreen, Compliance, Lottery
'89 Alto Works RS/R - Complied, Registrable, Awaiting Paint, Engine not running
www.hillsidekonnection.com
arklan

i thought i had seen that car somewhere before

Rogue_Works

the project has continued slowly, mainly small details though,
- wiper blades (the old ones actually had moss growing on them haha)
- side skirts finally re-attached
- fluffy dice installation

two things that do have me concerned are
a shake in the front end (can feel it in the steering wheel and in the car itself, as a vibration, once i'm up to 80km/h) and a reasonably harsh veer to the left (has had it since i re-installed the engine), might endevour to adjust the castor of the front left wheel a bit, i figure if i drag it forward, then the steering might correct itself a little.

as for the shudder, i'll run a spanner over all the bolts, (i have suspicions - many people "helped" me when re-installing the engine)

big weekend...
Rogue_Works

haha, successful weekend!

ran a spanner over all the bolts in the front end and guess what, one of the bolts that connects the front coil-over to the hub assembly was loose. hopefully that's the shudder gone. also tightened the left hand side of the sway-bar up a bit, and it had the desired effect, the car has straightened up a bit now, but i think it may be time for a proper alignment perhaps (yeah right!)

however the weekend had to be spent mostly on my latest acquisitions, a subaru sherpa and a honda city turbo... only to fix up and sell to finance the alto though!
Rogue_Works

haha, this weekend my brother (v6 commodore driver/lover) was finally introduced to the alto in its full glory! lets just say he didnt believe me before when i told him the engine revved to 9500rpm :twisted:

other than that though, progress has met a stand still (due to insufficient funds of course!). next on the list of things to do is to obtain a heavy duty clutch of some description... the stocker wont last too much longer and, while i have a spare stock clutch, it will just be delaying the inevitable I think,

clutch replacement will hopefully take place next school holidays, along with a respray (fingers crossed).
Billie

I love revs, my mb revs to 9, limiter at 10. But who are we kidding, still not going to beat a alloytec commodore. Not sure how much power your running, but with a k6a/f6a i cant see why you would needa heavy duty clutch, just more stress on clutch cable and clutch fork.
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝