Rogan's Alto Works Project

Browse through a range of Suzuki projects (NO tech questions here!)
Brayden

I know a few guys who have used Adaptronic on their Suzukis and were very happy with the results. Benefit of being in Newy is that you can go directly to the creator/manufacturer.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
Rogue_Works

Not a problem benny, I don't really have too much of a problem with thread hijackery unless people start arguing instead of being constructive. Also, what Brayden said - an ECU is as good as a tuner can set it up. If your local tuner is familiar with Adaptronic, he will probably be able to get a better result out of that than a million dollar MoTec. :thumbup2:

Looks as though my ECU choice has been decided, Link G4 storm. So middle of the range, more inputs and outputs than I'll ever need and the only feature that it doesn't have that I would like is knock control. Still, it should be fine if set up on the dyno properly and on the slightly safe side timing wise.

In other news -

The exhaust manifold is all welded up! The finished product I am very happy with, its almost going to be a shame to weld a waste gate pipe on the top of the collector it looks so nice :( oh well, screamer pipe, worth it.

The CAS has almost been finished in a couple of hours! Ended up using the original dizzy shaft, the original CAS shaft, cut them where they would go through the bearing in the dizzy and made the cuts to lock together, put it all together and now I just need a 9mm spacer plate to go between the dizzy base and the RB25DET CAS top.

And on the subject of the CAS, very lucky. It turns out that both the Suzuki K6A dizzy and the Nissan RB25DET CAS are made by Hitachi. As such, the shafts are the same diameter and even some bearings are common, as well as the threads used in the screws. Life is good.

Ran out of time/enthusiasm for today so photos will most likely be up in the next few days.
"c'mon guys, it's not that small"
benny

Please excuse my ignorance but who created adaptronic in newy??
Brayden

Andy Wyatt
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
benny

Might be worth looking him up then, I know microtech head quarters is near Maitland as well, at Louth park to be precise, I haven't even started looking for a tuner yet, but could always get the ecu put on the 5fb dohc first up and see how that goes before I drop the big block in ha ha, thanx Brayden
nelpd96

Benny, Adaptronic has got to be the most well rounded, capable ECU that I have come across in my 20+ years of playing with cars. That is before you even take into account the price and the customer support you get from Andy. Tell me one other ECU brand where the guy who designed it will respond to questions about set up or tuning within 48hrs.

I will never use another brand again :D

Cheers
Paul
nelpd96

Just to follow up on that I have an Adaptronic on my Toyota Sprinter hill climb car as will be fitting one to the MB over Christmas to run the ITB's with sequential injection and coil over plug ignition.

Cheers
Paul
benny

Thanx for the info Paul, always good to get someone's opinion that has experience with a product, cheers
Rogue_Works

Hi all, back again and a little earlier than expected.

Before I get to the update on the build, would just like to say I had a decent conversation with the owner of the workshop where I spend most of my time regarding ECUs. Coming from a man who used to have a job tuning Zytek and Pectel ECUs, he said that Adaptronics were good for the dough, but he still preferred link. Which just goes back to earlier posts about finding a tuner who is happy with a system that works and sticking with that.

Moving on however, news etc. The manifold is welded and tapped/studded, just waiting on my waste gate to arrive so I can weld it's runner in, then painting and bolting on! Might ceramic coat it later on down the track if i find the turbo too laggy (the rear housing too of course), but for now time is of the essence... and funds.

Played around with setting up the water lines on the turbo today, again can't do too much without the wastegate here (as i need to run water lines for it too and will be just running in series with the turbo cooling circuit), but at least I found somewhat workable banjo fittings, just need to weld 10mm outlets onto them rather than the 8mm pipe thats connecting them at the moment.

Waiting on parts is infuriating! So here are some happy snaps. photos are more efficient than words anyway:
the little manifold with MASSIVE studs (M10x1.5)
the little manifold with MASSIVE studs (M10x1.5)
all shiny and welded, pity that it'll rust if i dont paint it
all shiny and welded, pity that it'll rust if i dont paint it
the bastard CAS, no spacer ring yet
the bastard CAS, no spacer ring yet
the CAS sitting in-situ, looks a darn sight better than the dizzy!
the CAS sitting in-situ, looks a darn sight better than the dizzy!
Tomorrows goal: dump pipe and a water line, maybe oil cooler as well, see how things pan out
Rogue_Works

A couple more days, a little more progress

CAS adapter is made, mounted the lot. Went in a slightly different direction to my original idea but it ought to work fine. Originally I was going to get a ring machined out of alloy or steel for the bits to fit into, ended up using nylon (i.e. a chopping board :snigger: ). So easy to work with too! So, after a fair deal of cutting, drilling and grinding, the end result is as follows:
sorry for the poor picture quality on this one
sorry for the poor picture quality on this one
bolted up to the engine properly.
bolted up to the engine properly.
So yeah, all bolted together the CAS spins and does everything right, ready for the ECU (which is yet to arrive..).

In other news, the intercooler and piping has been sorted, throttle body upgrade done, intake manifold still needs to be drilled and tapped for some fittings etc. but progress is progressing.
throttle body upgrade (new one on the left). i wouldve liked to have gone bigger than that but that would have taken machining and tig welding. so far i havent outsourced anything on this part of the build and id like to keep it that way for now
throttle body upgrade (new one on the left). i wouldve liked to have gone bigger than that but that would have taken machining and tig welding. so far i havent outsourced anything on this part of the build and id like to keep it that way for now
intake and cooler piping made up
intake and cooler piping made up
The plan is to put in some long hours over the next week and then I should only be waiting on the ECU to be tuned and back on the road! (realistically two weeks, everything takes twice as long as it should 200% of the time).

Still waiting on the wastegate from the US, hopefully it will arrive about tuesday, likewise with the coilpacks... At least its more or less sorted where they will be mounted (thank god for dummy components).
benny

How much bigger is the new throttle body? What's it off??
Rogue_Works

From memory the new throttle body is 37mm, the old one was 34mm (only 3mm diameter difference). According to an engine building program the old throttle could flow 100 cfm on a naturally aspirated engine, the new one should flow 125 cfm under the same conditions (according to the same program).

Not entirely sure what it is off, but it is brand new and there is a small box full of them at the workshop. the main reason for using it was that it bolted straight up! I do believe they were used on a jet ski or similar with a suzuki k series based motor (k10a? 4 cylinder).
benny

Sounds like a lucky find mate, good stuff
Rogue_Works

Hey all! Another day, another update

Friday, a few new toys arrived :D . Namely the wastegate and coilpacks! Seriously did not expect them until after the weekend. This, however, means that progress can happen over the weekend (and considering I'm really stinging for a drive of this car again progress is a very good thing indeed).

Firstly: Coilpacks

AC Delco coilpacks off an LS1, brand new and should give enough spark to jump a foot gap (seen it before out of stock LS1 coilpacks before!). They came mounted on a bracket with the loom up to a single connector I can wire up and send back to the ECU. I'm not entirely sure what ill be doing with the fourth coilpack though... keeping it as a spare would be the smart thing to do, but spark plug to the screamer pipe maybe?

Secondly: Wastegate

Cute little thing, 38mm valve and definitely made in America (where it was ordered from). You can tell this easily because I have seen dozens of cheaper Chinese ones and there's a massive difference in quality! For example, the Chinese ones came with the gasket surfaces neatly machined flat, this one... hahaha, you can still see the casting marks around one quarter of a gasket surface where the mould was most likely too high, resulting in a low spot on the cast. Learning about bloody american threads and tool sizes too. Anyway, lesson learnt, don't buy American if you have the option for Chinese :wink:

Although size wise its exactly what I wanted.
Normal wastegate on left, mini watercooled wastegate on right. Both are 38mm (the normal one is there for a size comparison). You can see the mini one is made up of three alloy pieces in the top section. The top hat to keep the spring down, the bottom cradle for the spring to mount on and the lower ring which is the water cooling ring to keep heat out of the diaphragm (We've had problems before with diaphragms heating up and getting holes, even expensive turbosmart ones).
Normal wastegate on left, mini watercooled wastegate on right. Both are 38mm (the normal one is there for a size comparison). You can see the mini one is made up of three alloy pieces in the top section. The top hat to keep the spring down, the bottom cradle for the spring to mount on and the lower ring which is the water cooling ring to keep heat out of the diaphragm (We've had problems before with diaphragms heating up and getting holes, even expensive turbosmart ones).
Pretty happy with the overall size of the unit, very compact, although it doesn't appear at the moment as though it will be compact enough to fit where I wanted it. I may have to place it elsewhere and build a long runner to it off the manifold... and to think I was toying with the idea of a 60mm 'gate for laughs!
Rogue_Works

It's been over a week since an update, so here we are...

There's been a fair bit of progress, over the last few days especially.
IMG_0653.JPG
Although it must be said that the engine bay is looking like a bit of a science experiment gone wrong at the moment!

Since last time:
Exhaust manifold completed
Wastegate mounted
Screamer pipe fabricated
Water and oil fittings for the turbo fabricated
Water and oil lines connected
Turbo dump pipe fabricated
Coilpacks mounted
Intercooler piping mostly clamped (been struggling to find hose clamps :oops: )
Anti-lag valve connected and mounted

Left to do:
Hose clamps on all the minor hoses
A couple of intercooler hose clamps
New switch panel
Wiring for the new ECU
Tune

The ECU should arrive late this week / early next week, then it looks as though it'll just be wiring, a tune then back on the road :twisted: