arklan f8c engine swap

Browse through a range of Suzuki projects (NO tech questions here!)
arklan

WARNING: a lot of images

this is my christmas project

had the matiz sitting at my grandmothers house for a month since i picked it up at pickles auctions. an indian drove it and he kept it in perfect condition except the prang in the front passenger side.
the engine is really clean for a 10 year old car so i knew this was the one.
cost about 650 bucks all up.
just taking the engine out and took a few snaps.
Last edited by arklan on Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Psi_Wagon

very interested in how u go with this, keep us posted!
http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/showthread.php?t=180305
Husky

Plus 1, Look forward to seeing the results. I dont think anyone has actually finished this conversion yet?
Brayden

There have been a couple of these conversions completed that I know of, but none with a running commentary.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
arklan

OK i have a problem.

theres 2 wiring the looms, for the most part the one coming from the fuse box is mostly crap like aircon and headlights etc so that one i can just pretty much snip except for a couple.

my real problem is here...

the ignition wiring loom. i cant get the dash out unless i use a chainsaw so what id really like, is a detailed wiring diagram that tells me which colour wire is for what part. then i can lable all the wires and snip it off.
iv been googling for almost an hour and all the wiring diagrams iv found havent done shit for me.
if u know anything i need your help :o
Billie

Honestly dont cut the wires, making more work for yourself. I used the complete loom when i did my conversion (not matiz) and used everything from the donor car. I'd be using the matiz cluster if possible, keep your check engine lights and so on. Only bit of wireing that is mighty boy on mine is the rear lights. I changed the fuel sender over to the donor cars one so the fuel gauge reads right. You'll need the dash out for the ecu? Just soldier on and get it out.
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝
arklan

pulled out the instrument cluster and all the radio and bits, then the dash came out easy. the passenger side airbag hung on for dear life so we cut the plastic around it to get it off.

couldnt get the steering wheel off because its attached with star heads so dad cut a slice thru the bottom of the dash and we bent it around the steering wheel/

this is the ecu, it looks really complicated with all those wires but when we looked closer its just 1 plug and it comes straight through the wall.

the engine is out, electrical bits r sitting on top, gonna tow the rest of the car out of the driveway and get the scrap man to come and pick it up.

birds nest
Billie

No chance of using the a/c bits in the boy?
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝
arklan

i dont like a/c it hurts my eyes, plus i can just wind down the window.

one major thing of note is that once the compressor is out, it has the belt and bracket to hook a supercharger right in its place easy mode.

im not gonna be putting the dash from the matiz in the boy, but if someone wanted to they could with a little mods.
the dash is about 400mm deep at the middle so that would need to be trimmed unless u recess the seats a bit.
the dash is about 30mm too wide, youd cut 30mm out of the dash through the glove box and then fibreglass back together. all the air hoses will then be in the right place and u can just transfer all the matiz stuff over.
its a lot of f*#king about that im not interested in doing but if someone wanted to, its doable.
Billie

Make it sound easy, bolt a supercharger right up to it lol. Clearance will be your issue, mine has 1mm clearance on the bumper. Thats with grinding it back. Depending on your intake runners and how far forward you have to mount the engine will determine if a supercharger will fit. Mines a amr300,smallest of the lot.
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝
arklan

this is the most difficult engine to get out i have come accross :p
those koreans sure didnt want their stuff tampered with.
every engine mount is gonna have to be custom, theres not a single one thats in the same place as the mighty boy, i think the one at the back is even wrong.
but once the engine moutns r done the rest of it is cake.
i couldnt have got it out without the help of my dad tho, hes a legend.
gonna tow the car up the driveway tonight or tomorrow and bring the boy down in its place.
then the real fun begins
Trav

Mmmm, might have to see if those A/C brackets fit the F8B and my AMR500. If they work, then saves building my own.
Yes it's my ute, no I won't help you move
arklan

if only i could get a painter to paint the car and fix the rust.
its in good condition for a boy, less rust than most.
just at the bottom of the front quarter panels and the passenger window pillar.
i saw a few guys, one told me he was too busy to do it but other guys would charge 5k. i went and saw other guys and they said theyd get back to me and never did. one of them told me there would be surface rust all around the windscreen seal but that would only be minor.
if anyone knows a painter in WA that isnt afraid of a little rust let me know.
im not afraid of the price
Breyten

Keep the front suspension bits from the matiz! If you havent already.

Pinning out the harness will drive you nuts. Hewball got the wiring diagrams, but still requires patience. A cable tracer/tone generator helps too.

The engine mount bracket from the f5/f8 fits up to the f8c fine, makes engine mounts a bit easier.

Which area of town are you in?
1987 Suzuki Mighty Boy - F5A, stocker.
Work fleet, or Wife's Jeep Rubicon.
arklan

im in wanneroo, western australia.

iv been trying to get that pdf for the removing f5a installing f8b but every time i try to access it, firefox stops me and says the site is infected with those russians.

is there an alternate link to download the pdf?