arklan f8c engine swap

Browse through a range of Suzuki projects (NO tech questions here!)
Brayden

My memory might be failing me, but I thought the F8C used a non-return fuel setup with an in-tank regulated pump?
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
Billie

Fuel generally goes to the fuel rail? lol
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝
arklan

Brayden wrote:My memory might be failing me, but I thought the F8C used a non-return fuel setup with an in-tank regulated pump?
yeah someone on the daewoo forum said the matiz uses a semi closed loop fuel system but i dont know what that is and never heard of it before.
since im not using the matiz fuel pump im pretty screwed.
Brayden

Older EFI fuel systems had a feed line to the fuel rail, a regulator after the rail, and a return line to bleed excess fuel to the tank. Newer EFI systems don't have a return line - the pump in the tank is regulated so the fuel rail only gets the fuel it needs.

To convert to a return-loop system all you need is fuel rail with a return outlet and an aftermarket fuel pressure regulator. (I recommend SARD - but beware that the fake ones are more common than the real ones! HiOctane have genuine units.)
nelpd96

You don't even need to get a different fuel rail you just run the outlet of the FPR back as a return line. See my outstanding MS paint diagram to see what I am talking about :D

When the fuel pressure reaches the set pressure the FPR will allow the fuel back to the tank.

Cheers
Paul
Attachments
Fuel system.JPG
Brayden

Good suggestion! That would work, but you'd need to run the base pressure higher to compensate for the bypass flow. (Basically you're pressurising the system, but the flow bypassing the rail will have a vacuum effect on fuel in the rail.)
arklan

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Sard-Adjusta ... 4ab851ec4a

this the fuel regulator iv bought/ordered.
thankyou brayden and especially nelp, id have never known about the missing fuel regulator or anything like that if not for u guys.
now with the fpr is it better to mount it near the fuel pump or near the fuel rail?
if i can mount it on the firewall it will make things easy for me
Billie

Fuel rail.
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝
nelpd96

Billie, in this application as I have drawn the diagram you want to have the FRP as far away from the fuel rail as possible. This will assist in dampening the potential spikes in fuel pressure that Brayden was taking about.

Cheers
Paul
Billie

Sweet. Didn't see the diagram.
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝
Brayden

arklan wrote:http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Sard-Adjusta ... 4ab851ec4a

this the fuel regulator iv bought/
That FPR is a fake. Genuine SARD reg is about $220. The fakes have a nasty habit of doing this:
http://www.redlinegti.com/forum/viewtop ... rd#p463666

Conversely I have a genuine SARD installed and it has been flawless.
arklan

jesus christ :S
well thats 80 bucks down the toilet.
ill chuck it in and see and it should last long enough just to get everything running and then i can get a good one.
was thinking, will the fuel filter absorb any of the pulsing from the fpr?
nelpd96

Not really as fluid is not compressable to do it properly you need a damper that has a diaphragm and a spring. chuck it all together and see how it goes and have changes you need to make not one you think you do.
arklan

will it be better to use a loop system as nelp described or would it be better to put the fpr inline and keep it as a single fuel line?
if it would be better to keep it as a single line would it be better to put the fpr before the pump?
which way will be the most reliable?
Attachments
someone on the daewoo forum was kind enough to put up this picture which my matiz manual doesnt have, answers a LOT of qestions
someone on the daewoo forum was kind enough to put up this picture which my matiz manual doesnt have, answers a LOT of qestions
Brayden

The FPR must go after the pump - otherwise it won't regulate much!