VIC: Japanese classic car show 26th Feb 2012

Where and when you can find a show or cruise happening.
mini_kompressor

Ok, so i was going to organize a run before the end of Summer, but i just havent had two seconds to scratch myself this month ( as some of you will know why), but this show has come up which i reckon will be a cracker! Sunday the 26th of Feb, Japanese Classic car show, i reckon they are going to need a few MB's, or hatches there so lets dig them out, give them a bit of a polish, and see if we cant get a few trophys. Lets show them some real K-Cars :thumbup1:
JapaneseClassic.jpg
Tez

Nice and local! :)
"Polish" ? - Wassat? :wink:
I reckon I could be up for that.
Tez
So the adventure continues...
Arctic Alto

Sounds like it could be alright, might come down for a look.
Dont think mine would be any good to enter. needs some paint work.
KEVIN

MYDBOY should be up for that 8)
MYDBOY Co-Pilot
mini_kompressor

Ok, so ive been a bit busy :baby: , anyway i thought id better log on and post some times to meet up and head off on Sunday. Meeting point is the usual Eastland carpark area, at say about 7:15 for a 7:30 depart. Aiming to be there by about 8:00. This should give us plenty of time to set ourselves up, and find the best coffee vendor :lol:
holk

I am coming with kids and wife for a family day . Holk is in parts ATM, across multiple boxes.... :oops: one small improvement leads to another one, and another one ....... See you in Dandy
[img]http://www.tamon.org/gallery/d/11796-1/holk3-1.jpg[/img]
KEVIN

MYDBOY will be there, will be taking the BBQ again for anybody who wants to bring meat, See you Sunday. :)
MYDBOY Co-Pilot
Tez

An interesting day... Apart from being HOT...
We met up at the usual haunt at about 7:15 this AM (myself with coffee in hand :wink: )
4 cars... again... Where are you Victorians? Anyway.
A casual cruise along Stud road found us in the heart of Dandenong and about 5 minutes later we were rolling in to the Car Show Grounds... Nice and early... maybe 8:00ish (didn't look at my watch)

First anomaly for the day - they'd forgotten about SUZUKI being Japanese, and didn't have anywhere in their nice orderly grid-pattern on the huge BITUMEN forecourt for us to park! (Did I mention it was going to be HOT?) - Plenty of treed area all around the forecourt, but anyway.... park over there where it says "Diahatsu" and we'll sort something out... (given there was four of us!) So we parked up and they promptly produced a "SUZUKI" sign post. :D
IMG_6370a.jpg

All best laid plans of mice and men to provide a shade cover of some sort amounted to a tarp with a few collapsible tent poles, some guy ropes and some TENT PEGS (provided by me)... Well, on the BITUMEN (in the Sun) tent pegs weren't going to work, so we needed to come up with a plan 'B' for shade or risk frying in the Heat in the Middle of a HOT chunk of Bitumen. Fortunately there was a massive fast-food van not too far away, and for the better part of the morning, it threw a fair old chunk of shadow, so we soon colonized that patch of land. - All good.

So having arrived nice and early, we watched as all manner of classic (Japanese) cars rolled in... and then a few not-so-classic... (??!!) some 1990's stuff, and some even more recent... Meh... What the hell... let's let just about anything in...

Some guy rolled up in his classic Mazda, and his wife rolled up in her daily Cappuccino... so, being a Suzuki, she parked it next to our string.

About 9-ish Kevin arrived and joined our little group huddling in the shade of the fast-food van...

About 10-ish, Parry (Holk) and family turned up to say hello and catch up with the latest goss. They joined in the general banter for about an hour or so, then left to take their smallest who was getting tired in the HOT sun home)

Maybe 150 cars arrived in total... And so the judges came around to do their thing, and stopped at
our collection, then the strangest thing happened... Out came a tape measure and they were measuring this... and measuring that... We watched from the shade of the fast-food van, but curiosity got the better of us, and we had to know what they were measuring, so we wandered over and introduced ourselves.

Seems they were looking for the "Smallest" car at the show for one of their trophies, and the Cappa was in contention with the Mighty Boys... Well apparently, the judges decided the Cappa was about 100mm longer than a MB, and so it came down to my car vs Louise's. - Gavs' & Ben's weren't even under consideration - been modified too much! :-o

So the judge's decision was that Louise's car would win (because I have a Sports steering wheel! :-o )
Louise's car has a hatch wheel which looked original to the judge... (talk about ripped off! - he shoulda taken a look under the bonnets which were both closed!!!) - HA! - anyway - Louise won the trophy for smallest car at the show:
IMG_6373a.jpg
(No hard feelings! :lol: )

So as soon as the judges had been around (about 10:30am) people started leaving! - It wasn't even midday and cars we bugging out left, right and centre. (Maybe something to do with the HEAT??)

We decided about Midday (by which time maybe half the cars had left) that we'd move over into the shade of the tall trees along the North side of the forecourt, and fire up the BBQ Kevin had brought, to cook lunch.

With lunch dispatched, we were just about to pack up and leave when James (JB) arrived. He was quite surprised to find no cars left, given that it was only about 1:00pm... So more discussion ensued, and Ben decided to take James for a bit of a spin in his car. Louise was feeling a bit weary, so decided to go on home ahead of us, and to leave us boys to talk cars... About an hour or so more went by before we'd exhausted all thoughts and inquiries. Ben then realized Louise had taken off without the house keys, so he excused himself and bugged out to try to beat Louise home...

About 10 minutes after that, we decided time was ripe to make tracks, so Gav & I headed back up Stud Road toward our homes, and JB and Kev also made tracks...

Catching up with the guys is always a good day, and despite the heat, we all managed to avoid the sun as much as possible... The show ended up being a bit of a free-for-all with many non-classics arriving to join in the mix. I think Ben summed it up well over lunch - he said there were two types of guy out there today - the older enthusiast who has fully restored his classic and it showed... And then there was a fair contingent of younger guys who obviously just wanted an excuse to bring their weapon out for a drive...

I think the heat played a big part in people bugging out early - We were one of the first groups to arrive, and were certainly the last to leave.

All in all, it was a good day out.

Next stop... Albury - about 7 weeks away.

See you there! :D
Tez
KEVIN

Another great day with top people and some welcome visitors. As always there was a lot of interest shown in Mightyboys. Congrats to Louise (Twinkee) for winning another trophy (it's becoming a habit). See you all in Albury :thumbup2:
MYDBOY Co-Pilot
Arctic Alto

Sounded like a good day, apart from the heat.
I couldnt make it, was sick at home :(
Fingers crossed i can make the next vic meet
Tez

the next vic meet
Unless someone else organises something, the next vic meet is Albury.
Tez
Arctic Alto

Tez wrote:
Unless someone else organises something, the next vic meet is Albury.
but isnt albury technically NSW :lol:

not sure if i can make it, might need permission from the wife.
would be good though.
I'll prob be the only alto
holk

Arctic Alto wrote: not sure if i can make it, might need permission from the wife.
Craig,

Bring her. I booked before remembering it was my wife's birthday that weekend and once I remembered I told her I had organised a weekend away for the family.
[img]http://www.tamon.org/gallery/d/11796-1/holk3-1.jpg[/img]
Arctic Alto

I would. but we have a 9month old son, i doubt she would be ok leaving him for a weekend.
She's bad enough just going out for dinner, lol