Bad thoughts V twin or Subey flat four into a hatch

Suzuki hatchback tech questions and answers.

what do you think guys Im having evil thoughts on fitting a v twin from a honda with shaft drive and sequential gearing to a datsun rear diff then how about a subey ea81 engine they seem short enough to fit in the bay of a hatch and just use 4wd box with front diff removed.
They are all alloy and weigh 60kg bare. Pushrods and heaps of torque.[img]http
Billie

Lol no to the boxer suby motor, try width issues. Honda could work, i'v looked into vfr800's and stuff.
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝
gadj

If you want to use the Subie engine, have a look at putting it in a Honda TN7 / TN360. They originally had a 2 pot boxer motor under the tray optioned between 354cc & 700cc. If an 1800 Subie for instance will fit, you would likely have some trouble keeping front wheels on the ground.
The MB/Hatch bodies don't have a long enough nose for the boxer format - check the distance from the front of the block to the transaxle output.
So many delays to getting my MB back in order with 993cc & 5 speed transaxle... neighbor issue gone, donor shell up on rotisserie, new sheds on the way.... another project also..

gadj wrote:If an 1800 Subie for instance will fit, you would likely have some trouble keeping front wheels on the ground.
The MB/Hatch bodies don't have a long enough nose for the boxer format - check the distance from the front of the block to the transaxle output.
This is the pushrod 4 cylinder not the ohc version which is larger with bigger bore diameters it sure would be a nice little torquer!
zeek73

Weber MPE 750, not cheap, turbo up to 100KW from 750cc, not to shabby.
Pete

Im aware of all the V4 engines even the scat midget v4 based on a chevy.
Motus is my favorite by far.

Did the measuring the other day on a 800 hatch engine bay,
daewoo matiz, daihatsu handi and subaru sherpa and they all
fit with ease even the twin cam ones fit with ease.
Twin cam and pushrod flat fours are 70-73 wide, 30-34 deep
while the engine bays of all the above average from 76 wide to 80
while depth around 46-49 cm right to the frame support on the grille area.
This would mean a radiator can also fit.

The subaru AWD Fiori would be the best for all suby brand setup
while a suzuki Hatch I feel its blasphemy without a suzi heart

I just dont like the fiori compared to an early 80s hatch.
Yet love the subey ea pushrod flat fours as they are low maintanence
compact, with low centre of gravity and cheap!

SubySuki or suzubi anyone?
playwme

I've had exactly the same thoughts. I've 3 Subaru Sherpa's, the good immaculate all original low km one, the reasonably ok one, and the pretty rough old high km one. I always thought the old rough one would be a good test base for either a VZR1800 Suzuki Boulevard motor (or the smaller 1500) or an old Yamaha Vmax V4.

The EA81 did cross my mind too.(got 2 good running wagons) I was thinking mount the minimalist engine in the front, running a torque tube to the rear and use a FWD Impreza Gearbox mounted at the rear where the diff would normally be. That would reduce the need to hack out the body to fit a transmission hump, give a bit better wieght distribution, and eliminate the need for a diff as it will be integrated into the gearbox already.

how would you sort out the flywheel / clutch issue?

twin port inlet heads are available for the ea81 from italy

http://www.flygas.info/subaru-ea81-testa.html
playwme

8 wrote:how would you sort out the flywheel / clutch issue?

twin port inlet heads are available for the ea81 from italy

http://www.flygas.info/subaru-ea81-testa.html
Flywheel/clutch should be able to stay in the normal spot attached to the back of the crank. Torque tube shaft would have a spline on one end that slides into the clutch plate and another at the back that slides over the gearbox input shaft.
Billie

Fiori never came in awd. Vivio and rex were awd, well some versions. I have the vivio motor in my mighty boy. 660cc twin cam supercharged :)
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝

Looks easy enough to convert to RWD, It would be awesome!!!
cozza

i reckon a harley destroyer engine would go madly into one at least it would sound like it's gonna go fast then.

Ive got a custom single rotor 13b engine that could also fit :)
rf4burns

hmm looked @ making a single rotor a couple of times myself even turned up the crank :roll: but got no further (couldn't find a rotor motor cheap) so if anyone has a "cheap" rotor they want to get rid of....pm me
Get with it ,Get over it ,Get on with it .....OR LEAVE

rf4burns wrote:hmm looked @ making a single rotor a couple of times myself even turned up the crank :roll: but got no further (couldn't find a rotor motor cheap) so if anyone has a "cheap" rotor they want to get rid of....pm me
How did you do the e-shaft (crank)?

Im missing a full balance as previous owner lost the front counterweight which I got from elsewhere but still needs full rebalancing and I need one good rotor housing.

It would make it 650cc and the Late Rotor Guru Leon Prommet was making 120hp atw with one in his Rx7 s1 daily so would make a nice combo for a rwd Hatch with lightweight s1 or 2 gbox.

or setup a custom sequential Harley gearbox from Ultima for 5 or 6 speeds of bliss
Would need Auto bellhousing from jatco 3 speed, hydraulic release bearing and instead
of the belt drive a bolt on output shaft with uni joint.

Heres a Renesis single 6.5B

Id prefer an R5 early style version, check it in a lawnmower at quarter throttle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOjk9RCz ... re=related