miltons mighty boy

Browse through a range of Suzuki projects (NO tech questions here!)
milton

Where to start...
I live in a small town of only about 1800 people, and after seeing a mate turn up to the pub in this small ute one day I said "what is that?, I want one!".
After searching through ebay, gumtree, quokka etc.. I finally found someone selling three of them about 200kms away.
So a mate and I with a car trailer went to have a look at them.
I bought the one I was interested in (the only one that was running) and my mate bought another.
This meant that his had to go on the car trailer, and I had to drive mine home.
I must say, the first time being in a mighty boy and having to drive it 200kms on a 40deg day with windows that didn't wind up was quite an experience.
this is what it looked like.
275.JPG
If you look in the background you can see the other one on the car trailer
arklan

is that spotties on the red one?
milton

Yeah It had spotties mounted on the little roof rack bars.
The red one is no more though ( apparently its not that hard to roll one).
But he's already got himself another one
milton

When I got it back home the first job was to fix some minor faults; window winder mechanisms, reverse light sensor, hole in exhaust, and made some new bushes for the gear shift linkage and shortened the stick by about 4"

One advantage to my project is that I work in an engineering shop, and am a qualified fitter machinist. My mate with the other MB is a boiler maker/ welder, my boss is a mechanic/ licenced vehicle modifier, we have a spray booth and an auto spray painter; and a couple of other mates that work in town are a pannel beater, and an auto elec. so pretty much anything I need done, I can get done for next to nothing or free.

My mate and I then bought another MB that was unlicensable and stripped it for parts for both our utes.
As everything on my ute was blue I decided then to get evrything that should have been black back to black. so I stripped, primed, and painted; front and rear bumpers, mirrors, rear light brackets, and the centre of the grille. This is how it looked after that.
149.JPG
Last edited by milton on Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Billie

So much better :)
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝
Goofy[HSK]

milton wrote:One advantage to my project is that I work in an engineering shop, and am a qualified fitter machinist. My mate with the other MB is a boiler maker/ first class welder, my boss is a mechanic/ licenced vehicle modifier, we have a spray booth and an auto spray painter; and a couple of other mates that work in town are a pannel beater, and an auto elec. so pretty much anything I need done, I can get done for next to nothing or free.
yeahhhhhh, can you send all this over to me? :evil:
'89 Alto Works RS/R - Awaiting: Paint, Windscreen, Compliance, Lottery
'89 Alto Works RS/R - Complied, Registrable, Awaiting Paint, Engine not running
www.hillsidekonnection.com
Brayden

milton wrote: As everything on my ute was blue I decided then to get evrything that should have been black back to black. so I stripped, primed, and painted; front and rear bumpers, mirrors, rear light brackets, and the centre of the grille.
149.JPG
Looks heaps better, but you forgot that the window frames should be black too. :P
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
milton

Yeah, I was just getting the plastic parts out of the way because they need a different primer to steel
milton

Not long after that a mate was in at work, looking at my MB he said "I think Ive got some rims at home that would fit on that."
Really!! :twisted:
They were 15" but the clear coat over them had faded and cracked so they looked a bit ordinary.
so, I put them in my lathe.
152.JPG
A bit of emry paper then some polish, and they were like brand new.
153.JPG
I fitted them with some 165/45-R15's, painted my front brake calipers red (just coz I can :snigger: ), and whacked them on.
There was alot more clearance than I thought the only thing I had to do was roll the lip on the front guards.
162.JPG
Brayden

Rims look great! 8)
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
Husky

Brayden wrote:Rims look great! 8)
+1
what width and offset are they?
milton

the rims are 175 wide, can't remeber what the offset is think it's about +35. Ill have to check
milton

I found a shop online selling some new parts so I got a few things; front panel indicators, front indicators, door handles, window winders, intake gasket, aerial, the rubber strip that goes around the tray, and a few other things.
Then I went and saw my mate the auto sprarky, put in a cd deck, 6x9's in the rear, and an amp. now im just gonna find a little 8" or 10" tube sub to put in the back.

Then I decided to give it a paint job. So after I removed all the lights, bumpers, etc, I hit all the big parts with the orbital sander.
253.JPG
Then got all the smaller areas with a garnet blaster.
269.JPG
And then a coat of etch so it doesn't rust while I work on it.
272.JPG
273.JPG
And that is how it stands at the moment. Next is to pop and fill a few dents, weld up a couple of holes. then It's high build primer, a whole lot more rubbing down :? , then paint :)
It's going to be blueprint mica, which is a medium metalic ford blue, and im going to piant the tray with aquaflec, which comes out grey with little spots and streaks of black, red, and yellow through it.

If anyone has any comments, sugestions, or positive criticism, don't hesitate to post them up :thumbup2:
arklan

what shop is that?
milton

Its called suzistore.com.au they have quite a few parts for lots of suzuki models.
or click here for the MB section
http://suzistore.com.au/shopdisplaycate ... +BOY+SS40T

the parts they have are things that are not specific to mighty boys, but they do have wrecking stock so if you were after something like the mb grille badge or a bumper you would have to email them.
Thought there prices were pretty good and they post quickly.