WHY DOES MY VANS TIMING KEEP GOING OUT!?

Suzuki van tech question and answers.
jezzza

Hi guys,

Im new to carbys, dizzies and all this other old school mechanical stuff!
So i have probably missed something!
(I have read the thread "How to tune up your car")
Cooling system is working correctly (when first tuned it didnt go past 1/3 way
Battery is brand new, and correct size
The Carby is a replaced item, changed fuel filter and new fuel lines
Linkages are smooth, and wires are all in tact

Anyways,
Ok i have this very frustrating issue, my vans timing keeps going out
I set the timing a couple weeks ago to 8*, set the idle and mixture
Previously I change the plugs and leads (gapped correctly)
Ran like a dream!
I idled a little higher, around 900-1000rpm because apparently I have a diapraghm leak in the dizzy (no idea on this one..)

Didnt even get through a full tank of fuel and now my timing is so far out that she wont even idle.. I have to take the dizzy out and put it back in the get the timing to be anywhere near "0" on the flywheel

WTF is going on.. why the hell does it keep going out?!

The only thing I havent checked is the dwell time, and I cant do this cause I dont have a dwell meter
Tez

Hi Jezzza.
If you're sure the timing is going out repeatedly by so much you must remove and refit the dizzy, then it sounds to me like your timing belt running the camshaft is jumping a tooth or two... (Maybe).

I've not seen/had it happen to me, but I have heard it is possible for these things to happen. I reckon if the timing belt was jumping a tooth though, It'd be one of those "you'd hear it, see/feel the response in the engine immediately, and think "holy crap! what was that" kind of a situation... So if it was the timing belt jumping, I think you'd have a fairly good idea that something is screwwy.

Getting to the timing belt isn't an easy task, and if you're going to get in there, you might as well replace it... You DO have the dizzy adjustment bolt nipped up tightly don't you? :-o

I'm sure some of the Mechanical Wizards will be along shortly with some other ideas...
Tez
So the adventure continues...
supervan

hey jezzza

yeh the only things i can think of is the two things tez mentioned the belt jumping a tooth or dizzy adjustment bolt not being done up tight.
if you do decied to get to the timing belt to replace it also do the tensioner while your in there :wink: .
....its not miles per gallon its smiles per gallon....

1990 f10a supercarry 5speed
small van big plan
NozMonkeys

Have you lubricated the cam lobe for the points and adjusted your points?

Try turn your dizzy once you've tighten the nut. It could need a spacer (bolt may be bottoming out).
arklan

the cog on the bottom of the dizzy might be worn, if its worn it will be rattling around and will jump a tooth every now and then. also as others have said check the tensioner
jezzza

Thanks for the input guys

The bolt is tight. I couldnt move it with my hand, and even when I do move it to maximum each side, the timing mark still doesnt even reach 0, let along 8* west of the flywheel!

When you say the timing BELT missing a tooth or two.. what do you mean? Is it the BELT on the pulleys, or is there a CHAIN internally? (excuse the lac of my piston knowledge!)
Ive checked the tension, and seems fine (quarter twist) and it doesnt look worn..

Any other ideas?

Someone suggested that my dizzy may need a rebuild as theres counter weights and springs inside that wear?
supervan

jezzza wrote:Thanks for the input guys

The bolt is tight. I couldnt move it with my hand, and even when I do move it to maximum each side, the timing mark still doesnt even reach 0, let along 8* west of the flywheel!

When you say the timing BELT missing a tooth or two.. what do you mean? Is it the BELT on the pulleys, or is there a CHAIN internally? (excuse the lac of my piston knowledge!)
Ive checked the tension, and seems fine (quarter twist) and it doesnt look worn..

Any other ideas?

Someone suggested that my dizzy may need a rebuild as theres counter weights and springs inside that wear?

hey jezzza yeh its a belt not a chain

if you think its your dizzy ive got one here you could try to see if it is the problem where are you located?

here is some pics of what we mean about the belt jumping a tooth or two
the tensioner gets loose and the belt slackins off and then the belt skips either on the cam pulley or crank pulley. it is a bit of an efort to get to the first time you do it
Attachments
you can see the cam pulley up the top and the tensioner in the middle and the crank pulley on the bottom
you can see the cam pulley up the top and the tensioner in the middle and the crank pulley on the bottom
f10a............jpg (12.02 KiB) Viewed 2410 times
f10a....jpg
f10a....jpg (13.73 KiB) Viewed 2410 times

small van big plan
jezzza

Sweet.. looks like a big task so may try the dizzy first

Im in Perth.. you?
supervan

jezzza wrote:Sweet.. looks like a big task so may try the dizzy first

Im in Perth.. you?

arh perth im in brisbane mate pretty far from you :snigger:

yeh its not a quick job and looks quite daunting but its not hard to do :wink:

and the timming belt and tensioner is somthing you really dont want to fail on you while you are driving it can do alot of DAMAGE...

if you get stuck trying to find a dizzy let me no...

cheers

small van big plan
havabeer

yep to check the timing you'll need to:

drop coolant
remove top and bottom rad hose's
remove fan shroud.
ease off alternator bolts and ease off accessories belt tenion.
remove belt
remove fan (4x 10mm bolts)
(semi tricky part)
to remove the harmonic balancer you'll need a 17mm socket or ring spanner. you either need to hit the spanner/ractchet with a hammer to loosen the bolt or you can wedge the spanner/ratchet against the body of the car and crank the ignition (with spark leads disconnected) to wrack the bolt loose, might take a couple of tries.
you can then walk the balancer off and dont loose the woodruff key that goes with it.
timing cover can then be removed by undoing the 5 or 6 10mm bolts.

with that cover off you'll be able to see where the match markings line up as per supervan's picture

i know its been mentioned but you need doubly make sure your dizzy isn't moving during driving. sure you might not be able to turn it by hand but 4000rpm of vibrations can undo alot of bolts (normally this shouldn't happen with the fine threaded bolts used on engines)
jezzza

Thanks havabeer

Ive got a electronic dizzy lined up.. im gonan get it. only $200 AUD
Ive been told it may be my cam timing.. which means.. timing belt >< GAHH!

Im thinking about throwing it to a mechanic to do it for me, hes got a super carry also! :)

Its definately not moving at all
If it was moving, I should technically be able to just adjust it to get the timing back?! But I cant even move the dizzy up or down to the extents of the bracket.
I basically need to take the dizzy out and put it back in to get the timing anywhere close to right
havabeer

wonder if any of the cogs that drive the dizzy (off the cam and on dizzy its self) are worn and skipping teeth etc?
jezzza

Ill let you know ofer the weekend!
Ive opted to buy an electronic dizzy for $198 :)

Well worth it imo!
jezzza

I had enough, and sent the van into my mechanic

Im currently getting the following done:
- New timing belt
- Basically all oil seals
- All water seals
- Electronic dizzy
- New front pulley belt

So fingers crossed my van will be working 100%

The bills gonna be ridiculous, but I dont care lol..
I just want it to be reliable
havabeer

are you sure you shouldn't have just gotten like a $80 tune up. theres a mechanic around my way that does old carby tunes for that much.