fuel hose fitting

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
arklan

iv been googling for hours to find some advice about this so now im asking the brains trust.

i want to fit that plastic hose on to that brass fitting. the hose is efi fuel line and the brass fitting comes from the fuel pump.
iv tried the hose in boiling water trick, iv tried heating up the brass fitting and nothing seems to work, any advice/tips appreciated
Attachments
P1030387.JPG
P1030387.JPG (14.08 KiB) Viewed 969 times
milton

If you have access to dies, find a size that will cut a bit of thread on most of the taper of the brass fitting, and use it to screw it into the plastic. It will also make for a better seal than heating and stretching the plastic. :thumbup2:
arklan

heated up the smooth end of a drill bit and stuffed it in there and let it cool. so the tube stayed at the slightly larger size. then the brass fit in it.
Kartman

Followed by a hose clamp hopefully.

Seems like the hose was a tad too small for the fitting. Usually one doesnt have to perform shenanigans to get the hose to fit.
Brayden

Just a bit of advice: With EFI fuel systems, never stretch or distort anything to make it fit. Cutting corners is how fuel systems can turn your car into a BBQ - I've seen it happen. When 40PSI+ of fuel gets loose and finds a hot surface it is game over.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
niiko

Go to a hydraulic hose company, enzed or something similar, and they can make something up for you. I have also had experience with what happens to hoses when they at not the correct size, and as Brayden said under high pressure it can become a bomb.
arklan

i was hoping to keep the original ends from the matiz that connected to the fuel filter, so it would be a 200mm pipe from tank to filter and then 150mm pipe from filter to pump, so that when i want to change the filter i can just click the plugs and pull it out, easy as pie.
but yeah even my dad said to use new stuff and he doesnt usually advise me unless i ask him, hes trying to give me enough rope to learn everything on my own.
20 bucks a meter for new stuff from auto1 tho, made the colour drain out of my face but when everyones telling u the same thing, u know its true
Brayden

I went to the effort of installing Earls Ultraflex (hose rated to 500PSI) just to be sure it wouldn't leak or burst. Not cheap though. The hoses and fittings are worth about $800. I figured that's good insurance against the car lighting up like new year's fireworks. :lol:

The other benefit is that the teflon core of the hose is suitable for Flex85 ethanol, which is handy.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
arklan

is there any reason i cant put the fuel pump in the engine bay? im finding it to be a very tight squeeze to get the filter and pump to fit in the old filter spot, and i dont like having it so close to the back wheel
niiko

Pumps are made to push not suck. Mount the pump in the back, filter in the front.