Question for all the Mechanics out there......

Chat about anything and everything.
RetroHatch

Whats the most painfull diagnosis finding you've had to do, being that all cars are getting more of a pain in the arse to work on?

Mine:

Not long after coming out of my apprenticeship.
Vehicle: 2008 Astra (Auto)
Fault: Shift lock won't dis-engage when key on. (Centre Console removed, shift lock moved manually). Engine won't start.
(Was working in the Kimberley, so short of resources and no workshop manuals, rely on many phone calls to Holden Tach Assist(TAS) turned out weren't really that much help anyway.)
Cause:chck fuses, all Auto Trans related fuses missing.... :NFI: No idea why(This is why some owners shouldn't try to fix their cars. Replaced all fuses. Car still wont start. Check DTC's, biggest list of codes I personally have recorded, all sorts of codes coming up. Talked to TAS, was emailed a heap of pin point and diagnostic procedures to go through. Took up most of the day. Went home had a beer, wait to do it all again the next day. Day 2: Came to work with email from TAS. Wiring diagram for Astra with instructions to start pulling apart interior and tracing wires(fuse box location in boot)After half a day and many moments scraching my head, found a deceased infant mouse or rat behind the carpet on the passanger side floor/firewall. I new what the issue was then, but now I had to find it. (Rodents love eating plastic coated wire). Eventually found 2 wiring harness's that drop down between the gearbox and fire wall that had been chewed exposing around 20 or so wires touching each other. So fault found, now to fix(also once the issue was found, Holden obviously at this stagetook away any chance of a warranty claim thus landing all costs on the customer, She wasn't happy when she had to replace both wiring harness's TCM & ECU plus fuses. Can't remember what the total bill was, but it was alot. Was a good learning curve for me and taught me how much damage mice/rats can do to a vehicle.
Tailgating my Hatch doesnt increase the horsepower of the F5A
Chad_

Had the same thing happen in a ford focus about 18 months ago. The vehicle hadnt been driven in months and wouldnt start. Was towed to ford. Pop the bonnet n all the wiring was chewed. A huge rat was living in the plenum under wipers. Caught it using a big empty plastic container. Tryed to keep it to show customer, but it ate its way out.
gadj

Later Astra's had plenty of issues. I have heard of a number going through warranty for new wiring looms.
Seems they were designed to go through more parts than earlier Holdens especially when the water pump is driven by the timing belt - effectively shortening the timing belt service interval & requiring a new water pump with the belt change. Failure to observe this = a lunched engine.
So many delays to getting my MB back in order with 993cc & 5 speed transaxle... neighbor issue gone, donor shell up on rotisserie, new sheds on the way.... another project also..
RetroHatch

Its a bit like the great idea Toyota had, put the starter motor in the V-Channel on their V8 Turbo Diesels :crazy: Good job Toyota, taking a easy job before and now making it an 8 hour job!!!! :x
Tailgating my Hatch doesnt increase the horsepower of the F5A
Billie

Haha coil packs on a astra.
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝
Breyten

Funnily enough, I have one of those as a work car :(
1987 Suzuki Mighty Boy - F5A, stocker.
Work fleet, or Wife's Jeep Rubicon.