Wagon R+ gearbox and other issues!

Suzuki van tech question and answers.
25KTZ

Ive heard rumours that the gearbox for the g13b swifts fit the K10A wagon r's. Just wondering if there is any truth to this and if anybody knows if there is any modifications that need to be done? My gearbox is now officially stuffed and if its as easy as picking up an easily sourced G13B gearbox from the early swift, then I might be able to have one sourced and in by the time the weekend is through.

Any help or verification would be an awsome help. Fingers crossed its true because i cant for life of me find another gearbox!

While im on the topic, does anyone know if there is any easy fit for a replacement fuel tank? I had assumed it had to rust slightly inside as one of the injectors coughed and spluttered the other day so I took it out and it was pretty clogged with junk, so i removed the fuel tank and sure enough, sludgey old rust laying at the bottom! :( I knew wagon r parts were hard to come by, but its pretty ridiculous just how hard.. May have to go get a custom tank made if i cant find a solution and for around the $800 mark for the tank to be dipped acid dipped and re-coated, i think id rather a new tank!

thanks very much in advance for any help!

Kind regards,
Kyle.
Dattman

Hi All, this is a fairly old topic but seems like the best place for me to post some differences between g series and K series gearboxes, I picked up a 5spd from a k12 powered 2008 wagon R for a project.

1st, bellhousing is different, block is much narrower on the K series and starter motor has a narrower bolt pattern.
Nov 24 001s.jpg
Overall width is the same for the two alloy casings but the 5th gear cover is slightly slimmer on the K model, also the wagon r K series has the clutch lever arm at the bottom where as most other k series have the clutch arm in the same spot as the g series.
Nov 24 008s.jpg
Layout is a little different due to the cable shifter, 1st to 4th gears are exactly the same as cino gears, gti 3rd and 4th are interchangible, high speed hub is the same, low speed hub is the same design but not interchangible due to having more reverse teeth, 3.5 vs 3.2 which is in most g series boxes.
5th gear is slimmer but hub & syncro are the same, 5th shift fork and gear cover are quite different as well.
Both input and countershaft are about 5mm shorter than the g series, input shaft diameter is thicker where the input bearing sits.
Nov 24 037s.jpg
No idea why Suzuki messed around with the diff, they have centralised the crownwheel between the diff bearings but this has moved the diff centerline FURTHER away from the center of the car, using a g series lsd is out of the question :(

Bottom line is there is lots of similarities between the boxes but enough differences just to be painful lol
First two photo's show G box on left and last photo has the K series diff on the left, photo's fixed.
Last edited by Dattman on Wed Dec 25, 2013 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brayden

The forum chops linked photos wider than about 700px. If you use the image upload function it will create resized versions automatically.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
Dattman

Thanks Brayden, didn't notice the upload tab at first, photo's now fixed, hope it can be useful to someone else.
Brayden

Very interesting info, and if it holds true for the K10A then my assumption that the G13 boxes were similar has been debunked!
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
Dattman

The diff is a real pain, if the diff was the same as the g series then you could use any of the g series final drives in the k gearbox since the countershaft is almost identical, no big issue to machine 5mm off the end and extend the thread slightly but the diff offset stuffs that idea, I'm now limited to using what ever final drive ratio's are available in the k series and I would think 4.1 would be as tall as they made them.

This is what I'm dreaming of
http://www.ausmini.com/forums/viewtopic ... 23&t=76624
10' wheels requires a pretty tall final drive.

The thing about the k series box is they are almost identical internally to the G series boxes but the relocated diff centre line, different inner cv seals and different bell housing means its not easy to swap a g box onto a k engine or vice versa.

If I can't find a g10a here in NZ then I will look again at using the k10b and if I buy a k10b 5spd then I'll strip that box I'll post up any differences with the k12 one, apart from clutch lever location and final drive ratio they should be identical.