Stock as a Rock Intake

Chat about anything and everything.
milton

Good luck, broken stud are heaps of fun, especially steel in cast iron... :evil:
As a machinist the only help I can offer is, given that the head of these bolts are 10mm then the standard is m5 x 0.8 as you guessed.
And, those studs will be well rusted in so I would suggest welding a nut to the top of the broken stud, and while its hot, quench it till its cool, and then put a socket on it.
Drilling and re-tapping does work, but because cast iron is softer than the steel of the bolt, if you don't get it 100% dead centre, the drill will want to run off to one side
mowog

I wouldn't be too worried about the drill going off centre it's not like it's critical. just make the hole in the plate a bit bigger or move it.
I most likely have a fitting your need will have a look. have got several motors and intakes etc.
if the plate is still attached to the intake will have to let you have the whole lot and you will have to change the manifold it's not a big job.
the reason is that most likely the bolts will break and you will end up having to redrill anyway so nothing gained.
when you put it back together and anyway whenever you attach exhaust systems always use silver or copper anti seize, saves a lot of problems, and if possible use brass nuts and bolts they do not seize and if they do they undo more easily as they are soft.
ceej

Like a few others, I'm pretty sure I have the gear you need sitting on a shelf at home. If you haven't done anything by the weekend I will confirm for you. I still run the original intake setup. Garry takes on those cold Canberra winter nights and mornings with out any sign of carby freeze! :D
Garry. Nuff sed!
Tez

Yeah, Cheers Ceej.
I would have been a bit surprised if there was no-one in Canberra using the original setup.
Can be colder than a Mother-In-Laws kiss in "the Capital".
Tez
So the adventure continues...
mowog

Sorry I couldn't believe with all the crap I have laying around I have none of these.
Tez

No probs Mowog.
I've has several offers along with yours.
Thanks anyway. :)
Tez
nelpd96

I would have been inclined to just do what they do for extractors and weld a short piece of exhaust tube the correct diameter to the exhaust manifold and save yourself the hassle.

Cheers
Paul

P.S. I have no issues with my MB in Canberra but I do keep it in the shed.
mowog

Paul I would be surprised if welding to the exhaust manifold gave any joy. Welding steel to cast iron is a bit hard.
nelpd96

It is not as hard as you think, you can use stainless rods to weld mild steel to cast but in this application it is not load bearing it is just a place to put the end of the pipe so that it will pick up hot air.
mowog

learn something new every day. must try that.
ceej

Sorry Tez, haven't been back to Canberra the last few weeks to check. I will update when I do if you still need the bits. :wink:
Garry. Nuff sed!
Brayden

I'm with Paul on this one. I'd weld a piece of tube to the manifold, cutting it first to allow air around the base. Of course if welding steel to cast is an issue you could always fit a set of extractors. :P
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
Tez

So whilst traveling up to the NSW Cruise early Friday morning, the carby iced up again. I applied my previously tried cooling system modifications to make the engine run warmer, and mentally beat myself to death all the way to Kiama, that I hadn't resolved this issue previously.

So talking about the trip up on the Friday night at dinner with the TeamMightyBoy members who had arrived, I was inspired to race out early Saturday morning to get parts to actually fit a warm-air bypass tube from the aircleaner intake down to the exhaust manifold. I still do not have the correct "flange and outlet" as originally supplied by Suzuki fitted up, but I have managed to rig up a small bracket and fit it to the exhaust manifold to hold the end of the bypass tube just off the manifold itself.
IMAG0364a.jpg
Not even sure if it would work, (but nothing to lose! :wink: )So I switched over to this intake this AM (@ 5:45am) when I left Kiama to drive home through the fog, mist, and cold, cold hills to get back to the Hume, I must say the carby did NOT ice up once. Very happy with that. :thumbup2:

As an aside, referring to my fuel records, the time the carby iced up in June (the cause for this post) I got 10.306 L / 100kms = 9.7 kms / L
The tankfull I used on Friday morning where the carby iced up again returned 7.13 L / 100kms = 13.7 kms / L (because I applied my "warming measures" earlier)
Since fitting up the bypass, I've filled up three times coming home and averaged 5.1 L / 100 kms = Average 19.7 kms / L. Happy with that! :D
Tez
Colin

:censored: smart ass..
MORE BEER! :beer:
Tez

Bwahahaha! :D :D :D

For those that aren't in the know... Colin gets more like 19.7 L / 100k's or 5.1 k's to the Litre...

:D :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

But what a way to do it...! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Tez