Stock as a Rock Intake

Chat about anything and everything.
Tez

Hi Guys.
Had cause to take the 'boy out in the cold air for an extended drive the other night.
Was about 1 degree outside, ambient temp.
About 90 minutes into my drive, the car "got constipated" and then worse, until it just stopped.
(Fortunately) I'd struck this once before, and was awake up to what was going on - the carby had iced up.

I waited for about 5 minutes for the latent heat in the engine bay (such as it was) to "thaw" the carby out, and all was good again - the car started and I was on my way.

Now. I DON'T have the original bypass hose that draws warm air from the exhaust manifold up to the intake via the Winter/Summer valve - because the car came to me from Queensland, I suspect that little system was a long time removed before I got the car... But I'd like to re-create/install it.

I think there is some sort of tinplate shroud fitted over the exhaust manifold that funnels warm air into the aluminium tube and up to the aircleaner inlet, but I'm not sure, having never seen one! The device is referred to on page 6-3 of the 550cc Hatch Service Manual, but there is no diagram of the manifold end...

If anyone has photos (or could take some!) of how this (aluminium foil) tube fits up at the exhaust manifold end (the intake end seems straight forward!) I'd be really grateful to see 'em!

TIA.
Tez
So the adventure continues...
Trav

I might have one sitting at home you can have. I'll have a look this arvo and let you know.
Yes it's my ute, no I won't help you move
Tez

Cheers Trav! :)
Tez
Trav

Ok, had a look and all I could find is the air filter that has the selector to choose between summer or winter intake. Haven't go the flange that goes around the exhaust manifold, if I did, I probably gave it away when I got rid of the old engine.

Let me know if you want it.
IMG_0328.jpg
Cheers,

Trav
Yes it's my ute, no I won't help you move
Tez

Hey Trav.
Cheers for the effort, but that's the bit I do have :thumbup1:
It's the other bit I'm trying to get info about / chasing. :lol:

Does anyone in Oz have the original intake setup? - I could fudge something together, but I'm sure the Suzuki engineers gave it far more thought than I ever will...
Tez
milton

I had a look at the 5 mbs around here and only one of them has the flange around the manifold, although the heater foil stuff is long gone. I can get some pics of the flange for you if you like, and/or it's not being used so you could prob have it if you want
Tez

Thanks Milton!
A photo for starters would be a help... I was thinking I was going to have to fabricate up something, but a few people "seem to think they might have one", so I'll keep my fingers crossed :D
Tez
gadj

Won't be hard to fabricate, first problem to clear will be the condition of the bolt holes on the manifold. They might need re-threading or even removal of broken bolts. A simple 0.8mm steel sheet cut to shape with holes lined up for the bolt holes & a suitably sized piece of exhaust pipe for the concertina tube to fit on located towards the top of the vanes cast on the manifold.
So many delays to getting my MB back in order with 993cc & 5 speed transaxle... neighbor issue gone, donor shell up on rotisserie, new sheds on the way.... another project also..
Arctic Alto

hmmmm, intriguing.
Looks like mine's the same, doesnt have that flange either.
Would be good to see some pics, i've never seen it
Billie

Here you go tez.
Attachments
Manifold
Manifold
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝
Tez

Cheers Billie! :thumbup2:
Tez
milton

hey Tez, sorry there not better pics. i tried to take it off to get some better ones but the bolts are only going to come out when they snap.
IMG_0368.JPG
IMG_0369.JPG
IMG_0370.JPG
courierguy

I had the some problem. The bolts got rusted they fell out and never bothered fixing it.Plus i never take the mb out in winter heater hasent worked for years.
gadj

That is just a little more involved than I envisaged but not beyond the average handyman.
So many delays to getting my MB back in order with 993cc & 5 speed transaxle... neighbor issue gone, donor shell up on rotisserie, new sheds on the way.... another project also..
Tez

Ok... With the benefit of DAYLIGHT (working 7:00am to 5:00pm means during winter I go to work in the dark and get home in the dark ... :( ) I've had a good look at my exhaust manifold.
With the assistance of Billy & Milton who have graciously posted pics of the exhaust manifold part of this system, I'm going to have a fun time re-fitting a plenum if I can get one (I've had a few offers already - thanks guys! :thumbup1: )
IMAG0298a.jpg
The two threaded holes I've highlighted have the remains of the bolt snapped off in them... :x
So If I go ahead with this, the first thing will be to drill those out and clean the threads... :roll:
Fortunately I think I can get at them from the front of the car without removing the manifold, But they are such tiny bolts (Look to be about an M4 or an M5 maybe?) this is going to be fiddly however I do it...
Fun, Fun, Fun... :D
Tez