F5A Gearbox question. 4spd manual.

Suzuki hatchback tech questions and answers.
Bear351c

Hi all, just added 1 or 2 litres of gearbox oil to my SS40v, and noticed that I have a leak coming from somewhere on the rear casing. Upon inspection, I found a machined hole in the casing, not threaded, but about 1/2" (13mm) wide. Does amyone know what belongs in there?? I'm thinking maybe a welsh plug, or a breather pipe? Its approx under the clutch cable mount, to the left of the shifter mechanism, (lying on your back, legs out front) :)
Will try to get a pic tomorrow, if weather stays good.
RetroHatch

Get a pic up and I'll cross check with mine, unless someone else can tell you before me
Tailgating my Hatch doesnt increase the horsepower of the F5A
Bear351c

Ok, finally got a photo. Been working and it's been bucketing rain down in SA. This is taken with me under passenger seat, looking forward to rear of gearbox housing. I'm trying to identify what part goes in the hole. The hole is fully machined, no threads. Welsh plug, freeze plug ?? Temp sensor ?? oil level??
Brayden

That hole should have an alloy slug in it. Without the slug your box will likely have next to no oil in it.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
Bear351c

Thanks Brayden. I was kinda thinking that. Will see Mr Suzuki and get a replacement.
KEVIN

I think you will find that is a machining hole, part of the manufacturing process. Suzuki will not supply a replacement part you will probably have to get something made up unless you can find a welch plug or something to plug it up. Best of luck :ugh:
MYDBOY Co-Pilot
Brayden

Yes I should have pointed out that the slug is put in as part of the gearbox machining process. It isn't something you can buy.
Bear351c

No probs. Thanks for replies, now I know it supposed to "plugged" I'll machine up a slug. Or tap a thread in the hole, or find a welch plug, or TIG it up, or.......... :snigger:
Bear351c

Update....

Found a grumpy old guy at Suzuki who remembers these old things. He burst a couple of brain cells and found the slug I was looking for. While there, I also picked up the upper shifter seat, 'cos I couldn't find one in the 5 milk crates full of stuff.

Part # 09245-10002
This is the ally plug that fits in the hole machined in the rear g/box casing.
The hole is approx 9.5mm in dia, the plug is tapered, approx 9.6mm at this chamfered end, and 10mm at the other.

Part # 28117-78100
This seat just sits on top of the "ball" at the end of my shifter. Just takes up the slack. Earlier models apparently were slightly different, and required a spring as well, because you had to pull up the shifter to engage reverse, or some such....
cozza

i used an old wine bottle cork and some gasket goo to seal the hole in mine up.
Bear351c

LOL. I had a rubber 'foot' of a toaster stuck in there for a while. Was lucky I found the guy at Suzuki who knew what I was talking about, and remembered the part. Stuck the pics up for everyone else to see the part number.
Brayden

I'm genuinely surprised that the slug has a part number. Thanks for the pics!
KEVIN

Me Too :-o Good work
MYDBOY Co-Pilot