suzuki 800 hatch 1981 questions

Suzuki hatchback tech questions and answers.
golfguy

Ok i own daddyos custom garage in Tasmania and isi just picked up a stock 800 hatch 6 months rego 500 bux , no rust and a rebuilt 800 cc engine To use as a cheap shop run about and motokarna car, and i have a few questions before i start firstly :

What's the best suspension set up for handling 40 to50 mm lower ?
What's the best size wheels to run .
Can they be converted to rwd or 4wd family easily has anyone done it ?
What's the best engine to use and is affordable ?
Do mighty boy bits fit ?

Cheers any help appreciated !
Brayden

To answer your questions in the order they were asked:

1) The best setup would be a set of coilovers in the front and converting the rear end to a trailing arm or 4-link with coil springs. None of these parts exist off the shelf so they need to be custom made. The option most people go for are rebuilt front struts with lowered king springs and lowering blocks in the back with new shocks. Add a front and rear swaybar if you want to stabilise it more.
2) 13" if you want to keep the unsprung weight as low as possible yet still have access to a decent range of tyres.
3) Neither conversion is easy, but both have been done. How deep are your pockets?
4) Like the above answer, the best engine is the one you can afford. Work out how much you want to spend and go from there. Have a read through this article.
5) Mechanical and interior yes, body no. MB bits are no better and probably more scarce than Hatch anyway, so that's no help to you.

If your hatch is a 1981 model then it will have drum brakes all around - that's probably the first thing worth upgrading.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
golfguy

Thanks Brayden , much appreciated as for cash I'm putting around 6g into this project i can get a a alto awd turbo for 1500 how much of this do u think would fit ? Or would be made fit with minimum fuss ? I also have a carby fed yzf1000 engine laying here with out a home we seriously considered this as well but i don't think transport would have a sense of humour if i was to be pulled up for a random check like any old modified car in tassie does !
Brayden

When you say this:
golfguy wrote:i can get a a alto awd turbo for 1500
Do you mean an entire car or a front cut and rear drivetrain? The reason I ask is because if you have access to a full AWD Alto then you'd be far better off investing money in putting that on the road rather than making a Frankenstein out of the two cars.

If the donor is a front cut then you can use all of it in converting the Hatch to AWD, although there would be some finessing of the rear end required depending on what model the Alto parts were from. In any case it is more than a bolt in swap as far as both the engine and driveline are concerned.

There is also the option to drop in the 800cc and turbocharge it using parts from an F6A SOHC EFI. That's what I've done with my MB and it has coped with 10PSI pushed through it for years.
golfguy

It's a complete car that some idiot sent to be crushed , it was seconds away from death and are my mate realised what it was body wise it's screwed light roll over I'm guessing and the compliance plates missing , 800 single cam turbo sounds fun does it pull well ?
golfguy

Mines already running the 800
Brayden

800 turbo pulls just fine. Has noticeably more torque than the F6A twin cam but does run out of puff at the top end due to SOHC and 6 valves.

What year model is the Alto?
golfguy

Not sure on year I'll have find out i think it's mid 80's
golfguy

THe workx was sold the it was 89 model does anyone know where i can pick up a alto/maruti diff for the rear with trailing arms and sprigs