Hi, I'm new here......this is my ST90.

Suzuki van tech question and answers.
Mardy

Hey everyone, I'm Mardy. I introduced myself in the newbie section the other day, now its van time....but first, a small back-story:
I work at a servo so I see alot of cars. This little 1985 Carry had been coming in to work for years. The old couple, Charlie and Berrel, had owned it since new. I would look after them every time they came in, check the tyres, fill the petrol, wash the windscreen etc because they were quite old and just lovely people. Any way, poor old Charlie passed away about 2 1/2 years ago. Berrel didn't drive so the Carry sat in the shed. I saw her a while ago and while having a general catch up chat she said 'I've still got that little car in the shed, why don't you come and get it. I don't need it, you can have it. You were always so nice to me and my husband, he thought the world of you for helping us all the time, he would have wanted you to have it.' I was floored. I didn't really need another project, but my son gets his L's soon, so why not do it up for him.
I went over to check it out to see what I would need to move it onto the trailer when she handed me the keys and said 'just drive it....it goes!' Her son had kept it maintained so it fired up straight away. Also, its got 4 new tyres, new brakes, new battery, new starter motor and a new alternator....all fitted just before Charlie passed on.
So yeah, that's the story. It's going to be de-badged and resprayed the factory color, window tint, some little mags, maybe lower it a inch or two, a stereo and an exhaust for a bit of a note. Should be cool. Also, out of respect, the van is going to be named 'Charlie'. A sign writer mate of mine is going to paint the name in the corner of the back tailgate for me.
Sorry for the long post, but I thought the story was worth sharing.
Last edited by Mardy on Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I know nothing....realy! Just ask me....
Tez

Nice Karma Story. :thumbup2:
Congrats on the acquisition - I'm sure Charlie & Berrel will be thrilled to see the car cared for and appreciated.
Keep us posted of the progress...
Tez
So the adventure continues...
djflex

Welcome aboard, great story too.

love hearing the history and nostaliga behind a vehice
"When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"
George A Romero - Father of Zombie Films
Mardy

Thanks guys.
Update...just walked in the door after going to pick up a set of 13x5.5 hotwires. They need a good clean up, but hey, for a carton of beer, they are great!. Time for some paint stripper and the pressure washer!
Thinking a 165/65/13 (630mm od) for them should be close enough to the original 155/80/12 (640mm od).
These will do until I can find some 14x6 ROH Hurricanes (aka Datsun 200B SX wheels)....Who knows, I might even end up with some Corolla bolt on flares and go wider yet...time will tell.

I can see this getting out of hand very quickly..... :roll:
Mardy

Ordered tyres today ( through work ) and getting rims bead blasted next Tuesday. Also ordered some KYB rear shocks and some new bushes for the rear springs. Going to make some adjustable rear spring shackles and use some 2 inch lowering blocks for the rear.
Still at a loss what I am going to do with the front struts. Springs will be easy enough...gonna use some small coilover springs....or even one of those weld on coilover kits if I can get one small enough but I cant find inserts for them anywhere.....thinking of even looking at some atv type shocks...
Thoughts anyone?
Brayden

If you get in touch with K-Sport they might be able to help you out. I've spoken to them about a couple of my projects and they were very helpful, although their products don't come cheap.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
Mardy

Nothing ever does mate.
I would like to try to get this little rice-bubble to actually handle, so the need for decent struts is important. Also, while we are on the suspension topic, has anyone fitted swaybars to a ST90?
Mardy

Farm fresh and ready to be bead blasted.....
There is a little rash on the lips which I will remove on the lathe after I get them blasted. So easy....I have cut down an old pintara axle so I can clamp that in the lathe, then bolt the wheel to it. I can polish them this way as well....
jamiec

Hi and great story and nice van I look forward to seeing it progress.
Mardy

Thanks Jamie.
Started stripping it today getting ready for paint next week. These things are so easy to work on.....I love it.
Karu

So you got the offset right for your wheels? Lucky you, I have had mine for 4 years and am still looking, although I did have some 17/195/50's and even though they were only about 13 millimetres taller than the 12 inch tyres it stuffed up the gear ratio. Whereas with the originals I can drive from 40 kph through to 125 on the 12 inch tyres I was having to change gears all the time with the 17's. I could have put 17/195/45 on them as that would have made them the same diameter I did not want the harsh ride. Of course 12 in tyres are becoming harder to find now, so the problem will begin again shortly.
Mardy

Hey guys, update time. It has been a bit of a slow rebuild due to me smashing my left ankle back in November and being unable to walk/work for 3 months. Body has been done, new windscreen in, wheels painted as well as all the external plastic. Suspension bushes have been done, as well as KYB rear shocks. Still yet to fit the lowering blocks or front springs. Interiour is half done as well.....phew...getting there :)

More to come soon....window tint, some lowness and a front sun visor.
Cheers guys.
goose360

Looks awesome! 8)
TurboKat

That's looking sweet! Your Son is gunna be the envy of all his mates. :thumbup1:
Brayden

Please tell me those aren't standard wheel nuts on those hotwires!
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.