G10A auto engine conversion (engine mounts)

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
mighty_girl

hi guys and girls, this is my misses account, im Dylan and we have been on here looking for a while, and i have a few questions regarding engine mounts. We have a auto mighty boy, and I currently have a G10a and auto box sitting in the engine bay, but have realised that the auto box is about twice as big as the manual. Just wondering if anyone has done this conversion.

Its the later model g10a (aluminium cover) from a 94 swift, and have found that both sumps will need modifying as well as the passenger side chassis rail to get it sitting low enough. I also have to bash back a small part of the fire wall.

But my biggest problem is the engine mounts. I cant use the cradle on the drivers side, as the motor crank pulley needs to sit about 5mm from the side of the engine bay, and that's with the original air con pulley machined off, meaning that I cant get the cradle to sit over the chassis rail. I was wondering if there is any reason why you cant use an engine mount with a cylindrical rubber mount like a suspension bush in it, with a bolt through the centre, a bit like hot rodders use. Similar to the original f5a engine mount on the fire wall but smaller.

Because im sure it would be ok with one at the front and back on the drivers side chassis rail, plus I will have the rear bottom and top mount, and I haven't got an idea about the passenger side at the moment.

Has anybody got any ideas???

my idea was like the pic attached. thanks
Attachments
w92539.jpg
Tez

Hi Dylan.
The person you need to ask that question of is your engineering signatory.
Doesn't matter a cracker what we think. He's the guy that will sign off your conversion as legal...
What you propose sounds feasible, but I'm not an engineer... :-o
Cheers
Tez
So the adventure continues...
mighty_girl

yeah I know, I am off to see him tomorrow (mullen engineering at Cardiff), I was just checking if anyone else has done this conversion, and if so, how did they get around it?
Brayden

I haven't ever seen a G10A auto conversion done before, and my ear is pretty close to the ground most of the time.

Given the size of the G10A slushbox have you considered an auto F8C from a Daewoo Matiz? Smaller package that puts out the same power as the G10A and you get the benefit of EFI into the bargain.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
mighty_girl

haven't really considered it, ive spent too much time and effort on this engine to go back now, hopefully my engine mount idea will be ok and it all comes together.
Tez

Hi Dylan.
Please put up whatever the solution turns out to be... I'm sure others will be very interested.
Have you set up a build thread ? - May prove very interesting reading.
Tez
So the adventure continues...
mighty_girl

haven't got a thread as yet, but have got heaps of pics, I will try and get one together tomorrow.

what ever I find out, I plan to put together a bit of a how to do list.

Thanks
nelpd96

Just have a look at my old build thread. The issue isn't the auto it is just that the late model G10a has a bigger box. I had trouble fitting mine with the 5 speed but you can do it. You will just have to play around a bit.

Cheers
Paul
Brayden

nelpd96 wrote: The issue isn't the auto it is just that the late model G10a has a bigger box.
The auto box is bigger than the 5 speed, so that could be a source of more headaches!
mighty_girl

got the sub frame back from SJ kustomz today (fabrication shop) he took two rather large notches out of the passenger sub frame rail, and with some 10-15mm body spacers (lift kit) haha It looks like I can get it to sit low enough. Just got to sort out full custom engine mounts now. I bought some generic trailing arms off ebay which will form most of the engine mounts. just need time to sort it now.

Spent last week cutting and shutting transmission sump. now to do the engine sump. I need to spin it 180 degrees as the motor now sits over the drivers side rail, and it looks like it will spin with only 1 hole modified and the oil pick up lengthened. but the angle on the bottom will be the wrong way, I don't think this will matter, it may just hold more oil. any one done this before?

thanks guys
Brayden

I think you're pioneering new territory here, sorry!