Installing Swift alternator

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
Brayden

Just thought I'd quickly add to the knowledge base by providing details on my alternator swap.

I know that many MB owners have gone with really big units from cars like Falcons and Land Cruisers, but due to my turbo setup I don't have the space for anything bigger than the factory unit. Luckily a Swift alternator is more or less identical in size to the factory alternator, and provides double the amps of the original unit. (50A vs 25A)

The good news is that the Swift unit mounts without any modifications to brackets. The wiring socket on the back is different, but will accept standard blade-style connectors. The only required mod is to swap over the pulleys, and make up a little spacer so it doesn't rub on on the alternator case.

This was a really quick mod that makes a real difference if you have installed items with higher electrical draw. My engine setup includes an ECU, MSD coil and twin fuel pumps. With the standard alternator the engine would barely hold idle, and the voltage dropped to around 12V (less with the headlights on). After installing the Swift unit the engine now idles perfectly and voltage sits at a steady 13.9V.

The whole job took about half an hour, and most of that was swapping the pulleys and making the spacer. I'll add some pics to this thread soon that show a comparison, and how to match up the wiring.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
Tez

Hi Brayden.
That sounds like a really useful mod - specifically, which model Swift did the Alt come from, and whilst you're at taking pics of the wiring etc, could you also detail out the spacer?, and did you need to make any changes to the MB pulley to make it fit the Swift Alternator shaft?
Tez
So the adventure continues...
Brayden

The alternator was pulled from a '94 GTi, but they're the same on all models produced between 89-99.
Nil modification required for the pulley itself, the shafts are the same diameter. I'll detail the process shortly with a couple of spare alternators I have laying around.
Tez

:thumbup2:
Tez
So the adventure continues...
Chad_

There is many different small vehicles that run alternators that utilise the exact same mounts and pulleys. Most wreckers will have a huge pile of alternators in which u can sort thru. Ive run 1 off a mitsubishi on my last boy. And i think im running 1 off a later model alto now. Both needed zero modifications.
Hatch83

Did you end u doing a guide on this? would love to see it.

Thanks
Brayden

Not yet, have been busy getting the ute ready for Summernats.
ToranaGuy

Nice work Brayden!

I was thinking it's time to replace my alternator, it's output drops dramatically under load and I think the bearing is starting to get noisy too. I was going thru the spare parts book at work, the replacement alternator listed in the book is 50 amps iirc. I was wondering how accurate that was?

The specs in the book list up all the major specs, ie physical bolt locations, pulley shaft & so on the same as a swift one, just the pulley & plug differs.

When I was last at pick a part, I found a swift with an alternator that looked like it was just fit to the car before it was sent to the wreckers, was thinking about pulling it (it was $50 vs a lot more for a brand new one), but was put off by the different plug on the back. Then I got to thinking, could make an adapter harness....

Anyway, haven't driven my boy in ages, I've injured a ligament in my left knee (clutch leg) and the doc has banned me from driving stick for the time being. When I get off that restriction, I'll be looking at a swift alternator for mine...

Cheers

ToranaGuy
It's update time MB Parts list! send part info to toranaguy74@optusnet.com.au|