speed related tapping sound

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
XiT

when you let off the accelerator there is a kind of hollow tapping sound, I don't hear it as I am accelerating just after i let off and the tap slows as the car does, I was thinking CV but they appear to be fine, just put new wheels on the car (it's not a rock in the tyre i checked) :) the air cleaner on the carby is a little loose but it doesn't sound loud enough to be the same noise.

Also noticed at around 40kph the car gets a bit of a nasty rock going, something bent ?
If you can't wish for more wishes, wish for more Genies
gadj

Check shafts for cable ties or anything likely to give that noise, get your tyres checked for round & balance or just swap front & back & see if there is a difference to start with. Also check your shock absorbers are not flogged out. A dead shock will allow wheel hop which develops flat spots on the tyre which make funny noises but usually more like a wheel bearing needs attention (not the wheel bearing making that noise but sounds like it is).
So many delays to getting my MB back in order with 993cc & 5 speed transaxle... neighbor issue gone, donor shell up on rotisserie, new sheds on the way.... another project also..
mowog

run to about 60 on a straight and level road allow the car to sort of coast, maintaining speed with minimal accelerator. if noise continues and also if it is present when idling consider the possibility that the big ends are on the way out, fortunately the sump can be dropped without removing the motor and the big ends can be replaced.