Brake lights stopped working

Suzuki van tech question and answers.
jezzza

Hey guys,

So ive checked my bulbs, and replaced with new. No lcuk
Both filaments look good anyways

5 amp fuses are fine

I cleaned plugs, and all good

The only thing I could think of is either a brake in the wire (and no short), or brake light (stop light) switch mounted near the steering wheel rack?
How common are these that they fail?
How can you check if it is dead? Multimeter?

I pulled the plug off and put it back on but didn't do anything.. maybe I gotta clean it?
Brayden

Pretty common for the brake light switch to fail. I took mine out and matched it with one from the rack at Supercheap. Just make sure you get the switching right (I can't remember if the switch is momentary on or off.)
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
CHR15 N

A few mighty boys ago I had the wiring loom under the drivers pedals wrap around the steering universal joint on the floor. ..that took out all lighting at the rear.
jezzza

Ok, so figured it was the brake switch
Replaced and worked

Then as said above, the wiring got caught in the steering column and ripped it!

Now I have no more brake lights
My normal lights work though

Have checked fuses, checked bulbs, re-done wiring. Everything looks good. Took out the fuse box, and the wires havent pulled from there
I tugged on the brake wires (green) and they are pretty firm
Whats the white button ontop of the steering column? The brake lights go to that?

There is a connected to both the wire <-- this one im not sure about! Looks like the connector connects both the wires via a splice in the wire and then metal touching
I tried finding a wiring diagram for wiring brakes but couldnt find one

Ive drawn it up how its currently wires
Im not sure about the blue connector part
Can I check with a multimeter?
I assume when the brake pedal is pressed, I should get voltage through the wires? The power then goes through the green wires to fuses, then onto the brake lights?
Where does the initial 12v come from?
Attachments
wiring brake light super carry.jpg
Brayden

The brake light switch is on the +12v wire, which completes the circuit when the pedal is pressed. The brake light cluster is earthed to the rear internal body structure.
jezzza

I see.. What are the pink wires for then?
So seems to me the brake light swift isnt working again?
Brayden

I have no idea what the pink wires are for, nor the white button on the column shroud. Easiest way to test is by removing the brake switch and joining the two wires, which will light up the brakes if everything else is working.
jezzza

Damn my lack of electrical wiring diagram knowledge

So what I can see, is that there are 2 wires (green) which is 12v that goes to the brake light stop switch
The brake light stop switch is grounded, so when the "button" on the switch is activated/deactived, this closes the circuit and makes the bulbs turn on?
jezzza

Fixed.

This whole team I have been looking at "TAIL LIGHT" 5a fuses, and then noticed a "STOP" 10a fuse

Even my wife face palmed..
Brayden

Oh dear. :doh: :lol:

For future reference the brake switch isn't grounded, it just breaks the power supply to the bulbs. So it has +12V in and out.
murryinc

Had this happening last night. Found 2 things dodgy earth connection on the actual lamp holders it self. And also the brake light switch once opeded up had what looked like electrolysis/calcification i think its called cleaned up with wire bruah and contact cleaner and it works great. Autobahn wanted 105 bucka for the switch.