g10t mightyboy advice.

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
redboy1

Hey guys first post on here and im looking for some advice.

I have just brought my first mightyboy and am about to do a
G10T conversion. I have been gathering parts for a couple of weeks now and so far I have got:
- A G10A motor (witch I will be converting to a turbo block and rebuilding with forged GTI rods but im undecided on pistons yet)
- a GTI 5speed and flywheel (undecided on what clutch yet)
- automatic mightyboy subframe.
- turbo components of the Canadian chev firefly.
Intake manifold,injector rail,injectors,throttle body, turbo exhaust manifold,turbo,head.

I was unable to get the intercooler and piping or the turbo ECU or wiring loom.

What distributor and stand alone ECU would best suit this sort of setup?
And what pistons would be a good substitute for the standard g10a pistons?
Fuel system I will sort out once the engine is sorted.
Thanks in advance.
Brayden

The standard G10A distributor should be electronic, so no need to swap it unless the pickup is incompatible with your chosen ECU. The best ECU to choose is the one that your tuner can work with. No use buying something that nobody near you can set up and tune.
I run a MicroTech on mine, but ideally I would use Haltech or Adaptronic.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
redboy1

Yea fair call!
I have a microtech MT8 at home but I emailed microtech to see if I can have it reprogramed for the g10t but they said they cant do anything with it because it is to old.
I wonder if this is true or they're just looking for a sale. Surly they would still have the software to change it.

I have read that I can use vitara pistons in my g10 if I bore the block out to suit. Will the handle the boosted motor ok?
ssc87

Cant upgrade firmware on a mt8 only lt8 onward microtec. Mate had his upgraded back in the day and it was almost as much as buying new.
Brayden

redboy1 wrote: I have read that I can use vitara pistons in my g10 if I bore the block out to suit. Will the handle the boosted motor ok?
Plenty of GTi owners using Vitara pistons specifically for boost, but that's because the late model 16V pistons have the right metallurgy and fly cuts. Not sure how you'd go using them with an 8V head, and apparently the 8V Vitara pistons are rubbish.

To echo the above, MicroTech are no longer supporting M series ECUs. You can still tune them however you want, but for setup options that require factory formatting (cylinder count, CAS trigger type, injector impedence, etc) you're stuffed. L series are still supported for the moment, but as I've discovered the technology used in the LT10S is practically stone aged compared to Haltech and Adaptronic.
redboy1

Will this suit the g10 distributor?
Haltech Platinum Sprint 500 Autospec Flying Lead Kit Long - (2.5m/8ft)
(Product Code: HT050702)
Engine Suitability:
1 to 8 Cylinder enginesNormally Aspirated or forced inductionLoad sensing by throttle position or manifold pressure (MAP)Sequential, semi-sequential, batch or multi-point injection patternsDistributor ignition systems or multi-coil systems
Trigger Types:
Hall EffectOpticalInductive Magnetic Reluctor
Trigger Patterns:
Single Pulse per cylinderBosch MotronicFordHondaMazdaMitsubishiNissan OpticalSubaru
Features:
Windows 2000, XP, Vista compatible softwareReal time programming, instant hesitation free adjustment while engine is runningFully user definable 16 x 16 mappingSelectable onboard internal MAP sensor rated to 150kPa (up to 1.5 Bar or 22psi boost)USB and CAN Communication PortCustom sensor calibaration allows for most factory sensors to be used2 x User programmable outputs
ECU Fixed Outputs:
4 x Fuel Injector outputs (for high impedance injectors only  (ie: above 8Ω)4 x Ignition outputsFuel Pump
ECU Programmable Outputs:
2 x Programmable Outputs
ECU Inputs:
Air TemperatureCoolant TemperatureManifold Absoloute PressureRoadspeedThrottle PositionO2 Sensor (Narrowband or Wideband)
Functions:
CAN CommunicationOver BoostGear SetupDecel Cut
Correction Tables:  Fuel /  Ignition:
Air Temp CorrectionBarometric CorrectionCoolant Temperature CorrectionInjector Dead TimeMap CorrectionPost StartPrime PulseWide Open Throttle
Miscellaneous: 
Tune can be password protected in software
Small and compact design rugged anodized aluminum casing
Power Requirements:
Source: 8.6 to 16.5 Volts DC
Consumption: 360mA @ 12Volts DC
Physical Dimensions:
ECU Dimensions Length: 134mm (154mm with MAP nipple)
Width: 64mm Height: 28mm Weight: 195g (0.43 lb)
Brayden

Assuming your G10A is a later model with electronic ignition then yes, any Haltech model should work fine. Just crack open the dissy and see what pickup it uses. As listed in the Haltech specs it supports the three main types - Hall Effect, Optical, and Magnetic Reluctor. Be aware that you can't run sequential with a reluctor, but you can run wasted spark.
redboy1

Ok sweet. Ordered the Haltech today. :)
I have read you can get performance camshafts from a company in the USA but all the threads I have read are a few years old. Is there anywhere here in AUS I can get them? I will be portin and polishing the head and would be awsome if I could get a nice cam to suit.
Do you think I am pushing my luck here?
Is that 3tech company still up and running?
Brayden

No idea sorry.