Joe/Tom's Mighty Boy

Browse through a range of Suzuki projects (NO tech questions here!)
Jeo

Progress has been made! The F5A is out and the G10A is in the hole, in the right position. Drivers side and top engine mounts are done, passenger side is mocked up with a scrap piece of alloy and needs to be remade in steel, and the back one is half done (but the cardboard template fits). All of the mounts are a combination of modified Mighty Boy mounts or entirely built from scratch. Only modifications to the chassis so far are re-drilling mounting holes in the sub-frame. No photos for the moment but I'll be sure to grab a bunch and explain what we did, once the engine comes out again so I can clean up the bay. Clutch cable is good, accelerator cable will need to be shortened but looks pretty easy, and I need to figure out what to do with the speedo cable.

Big job left to do is to figure out the driveshafts, but I don't want to measure those until the engine mounts are finalised. I've got a full machine shop who has offered to help, so I don't have to do a whole lot there myself.

Little jobs left are the wiring, exhaust, radiator, and I'm sure a billion other things.

Also came into possession of a turbo from a 1L Charade over the weekend... That won't be a thing I want to tackle any time soon (if ever), but it's nice to have options with where to go from here. Wasn't planning on it but couldn't pass it up for the price. Has meant that we have been keeping potential pipe routing locations in mind while doing the rest of the work though.

And so as to not leave you completely without pictures, I present to you a G10A in a Mighty Boy! It was actually really easy to install. Only took a few minutes.
Jeo

Combination of new job, being sick, training for/running a marathon, and otherwise being generically soft had kept me away from the Mighty Boy for almost a month now, but I got a chance to have a solid go at it today. Still plenty left to do, but I'm making progress for sure. First time I've ever tackled something like this and I'm definitely glad I'm doing it (so far). Learning plenty and enjoying it as we go.

Not a lot of photos so far but I will take a bunch the next time the engine comes out. Much explanation of what/how/why we did things once it's all done.

Quick summary of today's achievements because late.
All engine mounts are in and should be finalised. We do still have some room to move in practically every direction if needed, but I can't see anything else requiring it.
Alternator got moved to the front of the engine. This is where it was on the F5A and just seemed easier to do the same. Arguably meant more fabrication, but there was more room and easier access so why not. Need to measure and then find suitable length belt.
Exhaust is tacked together until just before the rear axle. Entirely built out of reused Swift parts so far, just need to find a suitable muffler and the rest should be pretty straight forward.
A combination of Swift and Mighty Boy shift linkages have been cut to fit and are sitting in place, but need to be welded.
Clutch and accelerator cables are done. Both required minor bracket tweaking.
Fuel lines will work, need to buy a new inline filter. Maybe look at the pump? Will see how we go there.
Heater hoses are in.

Things left to do.
Stuff mentioned above, driveshafts, speedo cable, find a radiator that will fit/be better than the stock MB unit, chase all the vacuum lines, poke the wiring, many other jerk tasks that you don't think of until you get there.
Matty

Looking good mate I have a g10a ready to go in my mightyboy one day :)
One day it will be DONE!!!
Jeo

Right, so I may have skipped a couple of steps here but the G10A is in, running, and the MB competed in a motorkhana on Sunday. The engine swap is by no means done as there are a bunch of things that are still pretty half-assed at best, but it did make it through scrutineering and an entire day of competition. Definitely won my class and I think I did pretty well outright. Full results should be out later this week.

The engine will have to come out again so that we can paint a few things and tidy up the wiring, so I'll be sure to take a bunch more photos then. Quick summary for now though... We used the original F5A divers side mount with a few new holes in it, made the passenger and rear mounts from scratch, and modified the old MB gearbox stay into a top stay. MB shafts with Swift CV's on the gearbox end. No cutting of the chassis but there was a little massaging, and we did have to cut a section of the G10A gearbox casing off. Combination of MB and Swift gear linkages welded together. Aftermarket inline electronic fuel pump. Modified EG Civic radiator. Swift speedo cable, MB dash cluster, MB accelerator cable, MB clutch cable.

Also, I thoroughly dislike wiring, and trying to weld aluminum.
Mr Anderson

Loving this thread and hearing about your motorkhana adventures, thanks for the updates.
1986 mighty boy, CB60 1L turbo, 80kw (107hp) at 12psi (sold)
Brayden

+1 on above.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
Jeo

Thanks guys.

Also this happened... Fits!

Ok, not really.
Turbo on the left for scale is from a 1L Charade. Don't remember what the big one was from, but it was large.

JB

Great stuff. Looking forward to seeing how you progress in future events. Good luck.
[img]http://www.tamon.org/gallery/d/14529-2/tamon-avatar.jpg[/img]
peterg

Hi, I'm just putting in 10A in at the moment.  I've done all the mounts except for the top mount yet.  I wondered if you could post a photo of the way you did your top mount.  Thanks.
Jeo

With three months between events I figured I was more than safe in being able to un-dodgy the last few things for the swap and have it back together in time. Then I figured that I'd have plenty of time, so no need to start now. Then I realised that I had been saying that for 10 weeks and crap the next event is in 2 weeks time and the MB hasn't moved since I drove home from the last one. Cut to last weekend and I started the process of getting the fuel pump to it's permanent home and moved the battery to the cabin. Both jobs were pretty straight forward, just a process.

Fuel pump was mounted on the firewall, inside the engine bay initially as it was only ever going to be a temporary thing while we got the engine running. Then we ran out of time before the event in May and it lived there for far longer than it should have. Also it got power from a switch on the dash... again, last minute dodgy...

Went pretty much as you'd expect. Drained the tank, dropped the tank, replaced all the old rubber lines, mounted the pump and filter under the tray, quick trip to Jaycar for a relay, wired it up and away we go. Went pretty much as you'd expect. Only hiccup was when it came to putting the fuel tank back; that was a right pain to do on my own. Gave up on that after a while and waited until the next day when I had my brother to help.

Next job was to move the battery. It did "fit" in the engine bay with the all the extra stuff we jammed in there (like an engine twice the size), but it was making routing radiator hoses way harder than it needed to be. Cue one amp wiring kit and battery box. Took out the parcel shelf from behind the seats, drilled a few holes in the floor to secure the box, find a suitable grommet in the firewall to pass the cable through, run said cable along the floor, and bam! More room in the engine bay and "far superior" weight distribution. Pretty sure it will possess godlike handling now...

Entirely unrelated but I finally managed to track down a pair of mk1 Swift struts and springs over the weekend and they should be on their way from Melbourne shortly. Hopefully they're here this week and I can get them in on Saturday. Very much looking forward to not wallowing all over the place.

Also, no idea who shot the video but I found this recently. Is apparently back in February so it was still the F5A then.
Jeo

Swift struts and springs did arrive yesterday, but I didn't get the chance to put them in. Instead I spent way too long stuffing around with a new radiator fan. Eventual success though. It's in and wired with it's own relay and bypass switch, meaning I can turn it on whenever and not wait for the temperate sender to say so.

Khana tomorrow :)
Jeo

More khana today. Results won't be out for a couple of days but from comparing times with others on the day, I definitely won my class and probably did pretty well overall. Catch is that there's now water pissing out of the water pump, so we'll have to take a more serious look at that.

And for something completely different...
Brayden

You'll have to let me know next time you're heading out. I'd love to come take some pics/video.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
Jeo

Can do! Unfortunately the last one for the year is in November, while I'm in New Zealand. So I won't be getting out until February at this stage. Maybe a khana-cross before then if I can be bothered?

Results in from the weekend. 5th outright, first in class for me, while Tom had a pretty shocking run at the first test and dropped nearly six seconds which meant he ended up 14th overall. Only other in class competitor this time was a mate in a Cappuccino who was a couple of seconds behind me for 6th outright.

The day was really good fun. No major mistakes made but lots of little things where I know I could have gone better. Need to adjust the handbrake as it's not grabbing like it used to, and really want a better handle on it. Might have to make up a big dirty vertical handle to bring it up near the wheel...
Dannygibbons

What's the rules in these Khana things as in what limitations do they have on modifications etc and where are they held??