Diesel Project

Browse through a range of Suzuki projects (NO tech questions here!)
pn1701

OK I got your attention! I am not your average Spook owner, I'm more into miniature ride-on trains. I needed a transmission only 400mm wide and the Mighty Boy fits nicely....sideways. I got an auto trans from Bill in Brisbane and spent some shop time grafting it on to the back of a Kubota 3 pot 700cc diesel. A couple of driveshafts carry the power to the front and rear bogies, through right angle drive boxes, then by chains to the 12 wheels.
Soon I'll get the chassis rails fabbed then it will start to look like a diesel locomotive, about 2 1/2 metres long. Meanwhile i need to do some trading. Firstly I have spare 600 cc motor not needed, but need
1. 2 front hubs, one with brake disc and caliper.
2. Auto shift lever with cables
3. radiator with fan

Now to work out how to post a pic. Pete
Jeo

Can't help with the parts but it sounds like an interesting project. Keen to see/learn more.
pn1701

engine graft
engine graft
Maybe that works
pn1701

Ah it did work. Mockup of chassis using spare wagon frame.
Attachments
P1030406a.jpg
pn1701

and todays progress. The sleeve between drive shaft and angle box won't cut it, so it needs a hub or two to make an adaptor. Bogie is currently an ally cutout, to check clearances.
Attachments
SANY0017a.jpg
nutter

Nice 1!! :thumbup1:
nutter

So it turns out we have a Tiny 3cyl Diesel Kubota engine in a little boring machine at work.
Its a D 722-E and it 'looks' like a perfect engine to be transplanted into a MB.
Its roughly 380mm from the front of fan to back of block, 565mm from sump plug to top of thermostat housing, about 400mm wide and has the intake and exhaust on the correct sides. 720cc, 16.3HP @ 3600RPM. Good runners sell on ebay for about $2200 and looks like there is plenty about. I guess the top RPM would slow U down a bit but big tyres would speed things up a bit. Has any one looked in to this a bit more?
nutter

SPECIFICATIONS
Cylinders 3 Bore 67mm Stroke 68mm Displacement .719 Liter
Output HP 8.4 @ 1800 RPM, 10.3 @ 2200RPM, 12.1 @ 2600 RPM, 13.8 @ 3000RPM, 16.3 @ 3600 RPM
Weight 80 kg approx.
Brayden

pn1701 wrote: Meanwhile i need to do some trading. Firstly I have spare 600 cc motor not needed, but need
1. 2 front hubs, one with brake disc and caliper.
2. Auto shift lever with cables
3. radiator with fan
I'd suggest buying a cheap alloy Mini radiator off ebay rather than mucking around with second hand stuff. The factory plastic end tanks generally aren't in great shape after 30 years.
I think I have a shift lever and cables, although it will take me a while to find them. (Just moved house)

FYI you can use front hubs and shafts from a Hatch/Alto, or an 83-88 ML Barina/ SA Swift.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
pn1701

nutter, this is a 722 and cost $350 xJapanese imports. Got it running on a pallet. Only real problem is that while the crankshaft is exactly the same as the flex plate it has 5 bolts to the spooks six. Bugger! Minor adjustment to the drive plate using cut down flywheel as adaptor
Brayden, I'll take you up on the shifter, and I bought a Honda Civic radiator which has pipes that match the Kub quite well. I have an idea to put 2 inner CV joints on each shaft then bore one out to 25 mm for the anglebox.
Attachments
Kubota meets MB auto
Kubota meets MB auto
pn1701

Getting layout sorted. Shortened driveshaft sleeve, cut off spline end and welded sleeve to CV. Much neater.  Abit more cut and shut and the engine bay is now 385mm wide!. Knocked up low profile exhaust, and removed oil filter to achieve that. Have to make remote oil filter adaptor for the block (have kit for filter and hoses)  Started making bogies to carry the 12 wheel drive, then I can final fix it all and start building bodywork. Pete
SANY0044a.jpg
Brayden

I love this project, thanks so much for sharing.
How much will the whole thing weigh when finished?
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
pn1701

Hi. Glad I'm able to keep you entertained.  This loco is expected to weigh about 1/2 ton, Weight is important for grip, but still has to be transported on ute, so it's a balancing act.   Bill just contacted to say he's found the auto selector so I'll follow that up before you go searching too far.  Made one of the bogie frames today and started machining a lump of ally into an oil filter adaptor. Found some engine mounts (Transit rears) on ebay, so engine might be permanent soon.Gotta say this is a fun project as it all seems to be falling into place. Don't have to worry about rego probs, but can't drive it down to the shops either!
pete
Attachments
SANY0057a.jpg
playwme

This is just too cool. Where did you get the angled gearboxes from?
pn1701

http://www.ebay.com.au/usr/pumps681?_tr ... 7675.l2559

Hi. This is where I got mine. I've just ordered a second alloy one as the bigger one had "space issues" !    ( It's available if you want)  Mine is rated at 15 hp for agricultural use (sprayers etc)  Peter might be able to help you with other stuff.

Still pushing along. here's one of the engine mounts, with Gnat's whisker clearance to inner CV.
Attachments
SANY0003a.jpg