Mat's F8B - EFI and Turbo Conversion.

Browse through a range of Suzuki projects (NO tech questions here!)
TurboKat

The thermo switch idea is genius!
Very tidy work so far, I'll be watching this...
Brayden

I dropped my fuel tank by 10-15mm, which gave enough clearance to mount both fuel pumps (and piping) above the tank.
Love your work with the fuel lines. Wish someone had told me about alloy pipe back in the day, I made my fuel lines the hard way - out of steel bundy line. That stuff is a bitch to bend!
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
86BOY

Thanks TurboKat, thought I'd adapt the drain plug as it was the easiest solution.
Yeah Brayden the Aluminium lines are a breeze to bend up and are even easy to bend by hand for small adjustments. A while ago I dreaded the thought of bending up new bigger fuel lines, it was only until I started to gather bits for the swap I found out Aluminium was an easy replacement material to use so I went with that.
I read in your thread that you spaced the tank down a bit which is a good idea, I would still like to keep the spare tyre underneath too so ill keep that in mind when mounting the pumps up. Anything and everything is always cramped for space on these mad little cars!
Boosted F8B Pocket Rocket.
86BOY

No more major bits to gather so now the Boy comes off the road to get stuck into the exciting bits.
IMG_4408.JPG
Took the tank out to get the stock feed line and the canister line out. I have temporarily mounted the lift pump with hose clamps until I make a bracket to mount it properly to the brace under the tray.
IMG_4413.JPG
New feed and return lines went in, tank re-installed and have cleared everything surprisingly! Bent the end of the lines round a bit to suit where the main feed line connects to the HP pump, and the return line to the surge tank. New EFI hose installed on the tank pick-up and connected to the lift pump inlet and the outlet to the surge tank. (A filter will also be placed in between tank and lift pump)
IMG_4414.JPG
IMG_4418.JPG
IMG_4415.JPG
I have removed the rear tank mount for now and have mounted the HP pump in its place and tucks up above the tank and behind the spare tyre mount. The mount will also be replaced as it is just slipped in tight but would like a sturdy mount. The hose from the Pump to the feed line will also change as the spare tyre will interfere with it, otherwise it will do for now.
IMG_4423.JPG
Now that the back end is some what sorted, it was time to move to the engine bay. Started with removing the Radiator, Distributor, stock fuel pump and the intake manifold. Cleaned off all the old gasket and test fit the goodies! I was happy to see the tiny clearance I have between the bonnet and manifold. Removing the sensor and shaving some of the manifold definitely helped.
IMG_4427.JPG
IMG_4432.JPG
IMG_4431.JPG
86BOY

Accelerator cable is in and working, took the old cable out and used a universal bike cable to make it longer than stock. Feels a lot different than a pedal connected to a carby setup, so smooth.
IMG_4449.JPG
Mounted my thermo fan to the radiator using aluminium angle.
IMG_4467.JPG
IMG_4470.JPG
I have put new coolant hoses in, next is to mount the radiator properly, make a bracket for my coil and a bracket for the Fuel Pressure Reg.
IMG_4481.JPG
Now the coil im running is a GTI one. Brayden as you would have more than likely seen/used this type of coil can you tell me which pin is the positive and which one runs to the ignitor? The coil in my Sierra has a different plug style than this one so im not quite sure which is which.
IMG_4437.JPG
Brayden

Sorry I can't be any help, I've never used a Swift coil anywhere but in a Swift! Currently running an MSD Blaster SS in the ute.
86BOY

Haha no problem at all, I'll do some interweb searching to find out. The 3 pin ignitor (J121) is a recommended setup on the Microtech diagram, the GTI uses the same ignitor and thought I'd try the coil too. Thanks anyway. :thumbup1:
86BOY

Hose clamps have been double checked at the tank end and pumps wired up to the relay.
IMG_4514.JPG
Ecu has been wired in apart from the coolant temp sensor which is a 3 pin and the Microtech is only a 2 wire setup, so my guess is that the sensor has 2 pins for the ecu and the other is for a dash gauge reading? I have no idea what pin does what so unless someone has any idea, i'll see what 2 pin CT sensors are available (even from another Suzuki) that has the same thread size and run with that.
IMG_4515.JPG
I have put in a fuse block to clean up the wiring a bit, Ecu wiring will be tidied up and wrapped after I hear it start and run. Fuel pump relay clicks on and off for priming so that's good to hear. Coil and ignitor are both wired up, after searching through photos on Google I could identify wire colours on the coil to get the pins right.
IMG_4523.JPG
IMG_4524.JPG
Thermo fan has been mounted lower on the radiator as it was going to be too close to the distributor and I have also made up a new Radiator support with brackets, just needs another to support front panel under the headlights.

I would like to flush out the coolant and also through the heater as I noticed some crap in there after taking the hoses off. Rear radiator hose needs to be fixed in place as i have removed the old one due to rust, new setup uses Ford EF/EL hose bends and joined with alloy pipe. Intake manifold can then be fully mounted with gaskets.
86BOY

Cam is out, should be back this week sometime with the distributor gears changed over.
IMG_4551.JPG
IMG_4550.JPG
Couple of things added to the manifold, a bike filter, vacuum cap for what would have been a Brake Booster port, and a 2 pin Coolant Temp Sensor that Repco ordered in for only $3.50! Usually a $60 item, I'll source a plug as for now its using crimp connections.
IMG_4565.JPG
IMG_4586.JPG
Fuel system has been tested. I filled the Surge tank using the lift pump until it was filled right up, had the return line disconnected and sitting in a container to see how effective it is and works a treat. I then connected the HP pump up, primed the system and found no leaks! Getting so close to being able to crank it and starting (hopefully).
Brayden

The first time it kicks over will be a special moment. :)
86BOY

I sure am bracing myself for that moment Brayden!
Well I got the cam back today, chucked it in, put it all together and adjusted the valve clearance. I just need to put on the timing cover, pulleys and rocker cover.
Distributor is on and pointing to the No.1 cylinder plug after I went through the intake and compression cycle, just needs fine tuning with the timing when its going. Between the Distributor and fan is the tiniest bit of clearance, if it seems to touch ill shave some plastic off the fan housing.
IMG_4594.JPG
IMG_4599.JPG
IMG_4601.JPG
IMG_4608.JPG
I would like to get an o2 sensor put in, not that its a must have but the wire is there so why not.

I wired up the plug for the Distributor into the Microtech and wanted a second opinion on what wire is what. Naturally I would think the red wire is the positive wire and white being negative (which is how it's wired now). Does your Distributor have the same colours Brayden?
IMG_4602.JPG
I'll have another look over my wiring to make sure its all going to where it should and tidy up a few things. It's been just over 2 weeks since the Boy came off the road so lets see if I can get it going by the 3 week mark.
IMG_4606.JPG
86BOY

Today was the day I cranked it for the first time, plenty of spark, fuel injectors pulsing but didn't fire. Not even a slight kick of it starting up. So a wiring issue might be causing this? Or even fuel settings on the map I was sent with is way out? I thought a low voltage issue from cranking it was a fault but the multi-meter shows it above 10 volts. Any thoughts? I can get a PC adapter for the Microtech at the end of next week to see what has been pre-set on the ECU. I was so excited to see spark that i thought it would fire right up but was a bit of a let down. :cry:
Brayden

If you've got spark and fuel then the missing ingredient is timing. I assume you're getting an orange flashing light on the ECU when cranking?
86BOY

Yes Brayden that's exactly right, orange flasher is blinking when cranking which means injector pulse. Timing should be correct, the rotor in the distributor is pointing to the No.1 cylinder right at the end of the compression stroke, even adjusting the distributor back and forth while cranking didn't get it going. I had thoughts on injectors being dirty/clogged but all the new spark plugs smell like fuel. I'll check the timing again, making sure an obvious mistake hasn't been made. My goal is to get it starting before it gets a tune! :roll:
Brayden

The PC dongle makes diagnosis (and basic setup) really easy, so I'd recommend that. If you need setup comparisons I can help.
You've got fuel pressure? I'm wracking my brain to think of causes for a lack of ignition.