Lachlan's MightyBoy

Browse through a range of Suzuki projects (NO tech questions here!)
Eljimberino

hi. great thread.

i can’t see the images - can everyone else?
Brayden

The external image host used by OP has disappeared, along with the images.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
Zuffen

Sorry the images have departed.

I'll try and get them back up.

In the last week I'v replaced the Daewoo engine with a spare we had.

The original engine was an oil burner and the trans had dodgy synchros on second.

We're now looking at fitting a 1600cc Suzuki Ma engine.  We just need to do some measuring of potentials.

We figure as the vehicle is an NA category vehicle engine capacity rules don't apply so it all depends on what our Engineer will sign off on.

Buying a complete donor car is the way to go as we will need the engine/trans plus wiring loom and ECU plus gear shift linkage.

I would love to be able to use the donor knuckles for the brakes but will see what happens.

There are a few potentials, other than the various Suzuki models, the Accent the Getz and Pulsar would all give over 100HP and be totally driveable.

One note for engine swappers, I got the stock Matiz throttle body (without the top chopped off) under the bonnet today and never gave it a thought as i slammed the bonnet but it cleared. 

May take us a few months to get into it but we'll keep you posted.
Zuffen

OK. Update time.

The replacement motor is a dud.  Blowing smoke and running like crap.  I think it's fouling plugs.

After a lot of searching we've come down to the 1.6litre Hyundai Accent or Getz engine and trans. 78kw so only a little over 4 times the power of the original Boy.

You can buy a decent car for under $1,500.00 with less than 200,000k's on it.

We need to do a bit more measuring but the 1.6 looks a good fit.

We will look at he 2.0litre as that opens up lots of options.

The 2.0litre turbo engine would be fun but (and a very tight fit or modified front end) I don't think we can get enough brakes under it to make that half sensible.

We'll keep you updated as we move forward.
Zuffen

I haven't kept the Forum up to date on what we did.

The car now has an SR20DE engine, transmission and front suspension out of an N14 Nissan.

The engine and transmission fits (sort of) and puts out 105KW.

It's been major surgery but it now looks like it will all fit.

I have it that the bonnet closes with 45mm clearance to the cam cover and the front tinware and grille still fit.

I expect the car to end up at 750-800KG.

The firewall moved back a bit but the firewall was forward of a standard MightyBoy after the Matiz swap.

My biggest concern is my Engineer surrendered his NSW licence so I need a new Engineer who sees things the way I see them.
Jeo

Well that escalated. Interested to see how you go.
Zuffen

This is what it looks like as of today.

The engine is in and clears everything by at least 15mm!

The wiring is coming along but doing my head in.

Still have a  heap of stuff to do but every day it looks more like it will actually work.

The engine will have to come out again but hat only takes 20 minutes.

Still need to plumb the brakes and run fuel lines.

Then I can turn the car around and do the rear brakes and fuel tank.  I'm hoping to use the Nissan tank as it has a 50litre capacity.

The car may sit too low (130mm Clearance at the moment) but it has lowered Nissan springs in it so I can always go back to stock front springs.  The donor came with lowered springs and this was always a fall-back in case it was too low.
Brayden

Insane conversion. Bonkers! Pretty damn impressive though!

FYI you can upload pics directly to the forum if you don't want them to disappear like the rest. ;)
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
Zuffen

Thanks Brayden I'll try it that way.

The task moves along.

The car has been completely rewired using the Nissan N15 loom combined with an N14 loom so it has been a total headf--k!  I think I've soldered around 200 joins in wiring, what with making things longer and shorter and just moving things around to fit.

So far I have almost everything electrical working except the engine (that would be handy) and the ABS will have to wait until the car is mobile to see if it works.

I have the shifter in and working plus the exhaust back as far as the rear axle.

I'm planning on using the Nissan fuel tank with 100mm cut off one side and fit it in front of the rear axle. It should just fit.

I still have a list of around 30 items to sort but the engine will come out in the next week or two for the last time then  can finish a few tasks in the engine bay and sling it back together.

I still have the rear brakes to sort out but I think I have that under control.

At this stage the only thing I haven't figured is sway bars. I could try it without them and see how it handles but I'd like to get the Matiz front bar to fit and then work on the rear.

The car has no original wiring left in it and the only MightyBoy mechanical part is the windscreen wiper mechanism, if you don't count door hinges, locks and window winders.

The body is all MightyBoy except the front substructure, firewall and floor back to the step up in the rear of the cab,  

Narrowing the dashboard 200mm has been fun but it looks like it go back together OK and it will look the part.
Zuffen

Well almost 3 years since my last Post and it still isn't Engineered.

In the meantime we've had Covid lockdowns, sold 2 house, purchased another, re-built a 14x17 metre shed and built a new 12x7 shed and now are trying to get 6 acres under control.

The car has progressed to the point it is now driveable and a little sorting should see it go to the Engineer.

Longest drive to date is 2 kilometres!

We're trying to fit 6.5x15 wheels and 195/55 tyres and things aren't going our way. I think a swap to 50 series tyres will help as will raising the rear flares 20mm to give some room for suspension travel.

One tyre hits the bottom of the front drivers guard but wheelbase is identical side to side and all the panels fit as they should.

I think a little trimming on the guard is in order and shouldn't be noticeable. I have the bottom of the guard flexed out 30mm and everything clears. It looks stupid but it gets it driving.

The original plan has worked with the exception of the ABS. There just wasn't room under the bonnet to fit the unit and it's a whole lot less work to not have it.

One side light we had to fit electric windows as the window winders are obscured by the Nissan dash. The motors have to be outside the door as the window won't go all the way down if they are inside the door and Lachlan needs the window all the way down to fit and drive. A creative arm rest is on the board to cover the motors. The doors also have intrusion bars in them!

I'll post up photos and hopefully video of it driving in the next few days.