Alto Automatic to manual using Matiz parts

Suzuki hatchback tech questions and answers.
WvHuizen

Hello,

I own an 1984 Alto with a F8b and an automatic gearbox. Is it possible to buy a manual fivespeed Daewoo/Chevrolet Matiz donor (F8b with EFI) and swap the gearbox and other parts (shifter, clutch assembly etc.) needed or would a lot of modifications be necessary? I would like to keep the carburated engine from my Alto.
86BOY

With the amount of work needed to swap just the gearbox, you would be better off swapping the whole powerhouse over with the added bonus of it being a newer motor that has reliable EFI. Another Forum member did the F8C gearbox conversion in a Mighty Boy and said it's more trouble than it's worth. You're better off finding an F8B manual gearbox which has pretty much the same final drive as a 5 speed Matiz box.
Boosted F8B Pocket Rocket.
WvHuizen

Thanks for the quick reply, too bad it doesn't fit.
Zuffen

I'd recommend the Matiz route.

It isn't all that hard to swap the whole lot in.

You will need engine/trans, shifter, all the front end wiring, the exhaust system and axles.

I thin it would be possible to swap in the Matiz front knuckles and struts.

We got it all under the front of Laclan's MB but did use a lot of the Matiz structure to do it.
Brayden

WvHuizen wrote:Thanks for the quick reply, too bad it doesn't fit.
It does. Several people have swapped the complete engine/drivetrain. The difficulty is getting the Matiz manifold under the bonnet, but that's not a huge issue.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.