Painting tips

Chat about anything and everything.
daronk18

I getting ready in a couple of weeks to respray my car not my boy but another one. Just trying to get some tips to help it all go smooth and turn out ok..
Brayden

Put 90% of your effort into preparation, and take your time.

A well prepared surface will give you a decent result regardless of how bad you are with the gun, but a crappy surface will make even the most professional gun work look horrible.

Prepsol and tack-rags are your friends!
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
daronk18

thanks mate, ive got heaps of tack rags from where i work which is good. and all my panels are straight but one, so thats not too bad. as im painting the same colour with the respay what grit paper would you sand back with and would you go all the way back to metal and start again???
Brayden

If you're painting the same colour then I wouldn't worry about going down to the metal as long as you give yourself a smooth base to start applying undercoat and colour.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
Jermaine

and your sure there is no rust
fritz

Sand your car very well with a not too coarse grit paper (esp if you're not priming again). Also might be worth investing in silicone remover as lots of polishes contain silicone which will cause new paint to do some weird shit when applied.

There's straight, and there's straight. When I bought a brand new front fender I had to spend quite a bit of time with high build primer and loads of elbow grease to get rid of ripples in the metal (comes from panels being made from such thin metal). If you just want a clean looking car, dont worry too much about that sort of thing. :wink:

Good luck with it.

PS dont forget to use some good quality respirators. That stuff aint good for you. And forget about using 2 pack with isocynates. That's really really bad shit. :evil:
Jermaine

fritz u have a pm
fritz

Sorry mate. Nothing from you in my inbox. :?