Trev's Official Rebuild Thread

Chat about anything and everything.
Trevor

I didn't think my speedo would go in, will have to have another look at that, got a g10 speedo cable coming if it doesn't. I'm just running the setup that was on the Mb when I got it, but my brother (auto electrician) said to put on the original coil,which I'll get to shortly. how's yours going Jeff?
jeff

Howdy, my error Trev yes you do need the g10 cable , I assumed thats what you had, progress is slow just finished grafting swift drums on rear, did consider disc (too much mucking about) wiring not quite right hooked up and used brother in laws Nissan Patrol to jump and it stalled it out (the patrol that is ) while barely rolling over the boy, massive earth somewhere ( no sparks though thats good news yeah ). Are you staying with carby if so , are you going to use the fuel controller and idle up setup ( I like being able to bounce Q&A on this conversion ). I will have to send some pics your mounts for the motor are quite similiar with the exception of the drivers side , I used the original Swift both the arm and the rubber mount. Cheers for now sorry again for the mistake.
Trevor

Keep chipping away you'll get there.Ive been driving mine around a bit and it grows o me more and more.Carb stays for now till I get round to the injection.I only have the idle solenoid in use and I'll have to re check the choke setup as I don't think it's right, There's much too do, next some temp top stay's
Brayden

I'm planning on doing this conversion on the red MB I picked up late last year. Hopefully between all of us we can put together a pretty concise "how-to" for other punters. ;)
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
ike849

I was just about to suggest the same thing brayden.....

I would be especially interested/grateful if people posted pics of their engine mounts with measurements!!!! that way people could get a fabricator to do the mounts if they weren't so sure on doing them themselves.

Trev, when you had to 're-adjust' the engine so that the mount wasn't hitting the car 'frame'; did this alter it's placement in the bay too much???

ie. is the engine now no longer sitting east/west. if so approx. how many degrees is it offset or raised?
Trevor

Only moved it about 20mm to the drivers side.I just put it in too far to the passenger side on my first try.I also made a little clearance with the oxy where the sump was touching,just on the drivers side side rail as it attaches to the frond rail on the seam(approx 5mm) (hope that made sense)and I'll clean that up when it gets transplanted into a freshly painted Mb.When I get time and my mounts are all done to my liking,I'm planning to make a spare set which I'll post for all to see.
Brayden

If you get a chance to pluck the motor, a pics of the layout of the engine mounts in the empty bay would be ace.
Trevor

Can do,but it'll take time.Firstly all the subframe mounting positions and holes etc are unchanged from original.Drivers mount and rear mount are Mb apart from altering the plate that the shifter stay (rod) on the rear,and modifying two Mb brakets with a cut and shut(hope to remake this one one day probably from aluminium)for drivers side bracket.The stay required a little bending and the gear shift rod was lenghtened and one end spun 90 degrees. The passenger mounting bracket was fabricated and sits on I'm guessing a g10 mount,but they are the same as the sierra mount anyhow. G10 speedo cable is needed,and I will be checking if it fits my speedo later today.
Brayden

No hurry on the pics mate, it was just a "one day in the future" type of request. ;)
Trevor

Here's a tip for anyone considering this transplant.You will need a g10 speedo cable,it plugs straight in to Mb dash,but you will need to enlarge the firewall hole as the ends are bigger on the g10 so do this before you put the engine in.You could also go thru the old choke cable hole which is more away from the carb and plumping(still need to enlarge).If your planning to stay with the carb then consider moving the wiring harness from the original spot too,so as there is more room back there to do connections and adjustments to the carb.Also you will need g10 accelerator cable, the pedal end of the Mb will need modifying,but am going to check if a sierra one is better option
Last edited by Trevor on Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
jeff

Trev another pain is the proximity of the speedo cable to the heater valve assembly also talking about wiring mine is split inside the cab and runs under the heater housing assembly then through a blanked hole in O/S firewall (thus reducing the diameter of harness by half) and as there is a VH booster sitting where the battery was the battery now sits behind the passenger seat with a 2.5 metre battery lead( these are only solutions that I have implemented not neccesarily the best way) all I can say is there are consequences for each change made too the original equipment, headaches galore and I would not change a minute of it.Cheers.
Trevor

Was just checking my tappets and they where as I expected, not easily adjusted.(this is the G10a) Anyone got any info on them,Are they some kind of lifter under the shim bucket?? Is it head removal to do any thing here??
jeff

Trev , no adjustment on the valve lash adjusters (there like the new commis) if u need new ones $117 each much cheaper to buy second hand head from wreckers. As for removing, once cam is off a strong magnet or head removal ( you dont want to do that) no shims it is haudraulic. I have a copy of the SF310 manual if any more info required 8) .
jock

hi! trevor

Your garage looks like MB heaven .
Wondered where all the MB'S in NSW ended up .At least it seems to be more of a Hospital Than a Graveyard. Do you intend on resurrecting all of them ?
If not and you have a set of roof bars and bracket fittings left after carve up I would be interested since the previous owner of my project hacksawed them off to fit a tonneau cover and they look sh----house

Jock
Jock
Trevor

Yep ,hope to do all of them,will be back doing body work this week,now that my temporary spray booth is empty.Not sure if I'll have spare bars as a few didn't have them or are just no good.Still haven't decided if my own will have them on either.