Gear box rebuild

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
eris

Hope some1 can help...I have a bearing noise in the input shaft of my gear box (f8b), can anybody help where I can get a rebuild kit or a supplyer of bearings. I went to repco and scotts with no luck as the guy said he had no listing :x ( there is no noise when I put my foot on the clutch only with clutch out) and are they a sh*t to rebuild...thanks for any help... cris
do red Mighty Boys go faster down hill???
Brayden

What you're looking for is a "thrust bearing" and the size of it will depend on what particular model of gearbox you have.

Because you have to rip out the engine and box to replace the bearing you may as well replace the entire clutch. The clutch kit will include a new thrust bearing, you just need to press it into the carrier.

If you're not keen on replacing the clutch for whatever reason then take the bearing to CBC and get a replacement.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
eris

Thank you for that Brayden, there is no noise when the clutch pedal is depressed all goes quiet. so it seems the front bearing in the box could be the noise the thrust bearing is used to depress the pressure plate. when I put the gear box in ( 2nd hand) I replaced the clutch and bearing and also the spigot. have you overhauld a mighty boy box and is it a bugger to do as I haven't had a toy box apart before. also do you know or anybody know if a overhaul kit availble thank you again... cris
Jermaine

iv had mine apart.. its pretty simple.. i just pulled it apart and got the bearing numbers and ordered them through webster.. as far as i know there is no kit avalible
Brayden

Easiest way to check if it is the thrust bearing or input shaft bearing is to get the ute up to 60kph or so and then back off with the clutch depressed. If it still makes the noise then it is the input shaft.
mowog

99% it will be the thrust bearing.
ike849

CBC have a full listing of bearings and seals for both gear box variants of the f8b and also the f5a box....

It will probably be cheaper though to take each bearing to your local bearing supplier (not retail chain) and get them....
Ralf the RR

mowog wrote:99% it will be the thrust bearing.
Disagree!

If you read the post, there is no noise with the clutch depressed.
Thrust bearings spin with your foot on the clutch.

Noise is apparent when clutch is released, ie crank driving input shaft.
First diagnosis is probably correct - input shaft bearing.
That's providing it happens in all gears.
Harry
Oil leaks are a factory rust prevention option
mowog

The typical symptom of a thrust bearing failing is noise when the pedal is not depressed. when you depress the pedal it loads the bearing and the quietens the noise. When not depressed the loose bearings float and make noise.
Brayden

Spot on, mowog.

Early indication of a knackered thrust bearing is a little squeak as it freewheels when you release the clutch.
Trevor

Thrust bearing should not be in contact if it is adjusted correctly when clutch out. People that don't take there foot of the clutch usually wear this bearing out
Ralf the RR

mowog wrote:The typical symptom of a thrust bearing failing is noise when the pedal is not depressed. when you depress the pedal it loads the bearing and the quietens the noise. When not depressed the loose bearings float and make noise.
How can a stationary bearing make a noise?
Harry
Oil leaks are a factory rust prevention option
Brayden

Because it isn't stationary. Most thrust bearings end up stuffed because the clutch wasn't adjusted properly, which makes the bearing rest on the pressure plate constantly, causing premature failure.
eris

Thank you for the help, my understanding is that any bearing will make the most noise "under load" ie wheel, thrust, waterpump ect. mmm tobe on the safe side I will replace the thrust bearing as well as I will have the box out. :D thank you..... cris