Radio code/pin

Chat about anything and everything.
Husky

Gday Guys,
When Im not driving My MB Ive got a 2004 Toyota Rav4. The other day I changed the car battery and forgot I have a standard security radio. Anyhow now I cant unlock it. I bought the car 2nd hand(owned for 3 years) and need a 3 number code to unlock it. I have rang Toyota and they are just crooks, ffs I just want to unlock my radio and they want to charge to put the pin in/unlock. It gives me 10 goes before it locks but its really the same thing as I need the pin
Does anyone have any ideas on how to unlock the radio? I know the radio model number and make if that helps as I pulled it out to check for any numbers that someone in the past may have written on it for this exact reason
Cheers
Dave

Check any manuals or booklets that may have come with the car when you bought it?

Or maybe rip it out and replace with an aftermarket one and :pray: :fingersx:. Haha. I actually have no idea, but hopefully you can get around it without having to pay Toyota.
Billie

Hey mate only option is paying toyota. We get it done at work all the time. Aftermarket radio would work too.
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝
Husky

Yes I have checked all the manuals and the stand alone audio manual does not have the numbers written in it. The manual tells you how to change the pin and even disable it but you need to know the pin in the first place :(
Looks like am going to have to bite the bullet and go to Toyota :x
I know the later model Bluetooth radios fit straight in and could replace it with one of those. There going on ebay for around $300
Dave

Well, if an aftermarket one is cheaper than what toyota charge...?
ceej

I have a 97 Rav standard radio that has the pin disabled (pretty sure it is anyway, had the battery out a few times and never got stuck with it) sitting around... If you want to keep the standard deck I will swap you for your locked one free of charge. Just send me yours and I'll send you mine. That way if I sell the car I have something to put in.

Personally if I were you I would just swap it out for aftermarket though. Rav4 is the easiest car I have changed a stereo in! :wink:
Garry. Nuff sed!
Husky

Yeah I will look into the newer blutooth ones as they connect straight in so ive been told. I have already had the radio out and yes its a peice of piss.
The only prob is I have some Cds still in it. :(
ceej

Too easy. i was talking to my mate yesterday who used to be in parts at Toyota. He seemed to think that to retrieve the code/unlock it through them they needed to hook it up to something as the codes arent stored on a databse like most car companies...

CD's can be removed with a bit of creativity. Just wont be able to use the player again... :P
Garry. Nuff sed!
playwme

If you haven't thrown the unit in the bin by now, try using the last 3 digits of the VIN number as the security code. A lot of Toyota dealers used to use that cause as far as I know it was them that activated the security code, not the factory. It also meant their technicians could unlock a radio in about 15 seconds without having to go and look it up. I'm sure most still charged the standard fee though.
Husky

Got it sorted now, I did try the vin but to no avail! :(
Ended up going to toyota and paided $55 to unlock it :x

The guy at the dealership reckons that they buy the codes from head office in Melbourne via a special machine that unlocks the radio?
Billie

Lol no they have them stored. Free for them and certified service centres to get.
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝
gadj

A memory saver might be a good buy for next time you need to disconnect the battery. Basically a cigarette lighter plug with a 9v battery connector (likely to be electronics in the plug). It allows you to hold the memory of all accessories for a short time on the 9v battery.
So many delays to getting my MB back in order with 993cc & 5 speed transaxle... neighbor issue gone, donor shell up on rotisserie, new sheds on the way.... another project also..
Husky

gadj wrote:A memory saver might be a good buy for next time you need to disconnect the battery. Basically a cigarette lighter plug with a 9v battery connector (likely to be electronics in the plug). It allows you to hold the memory of all accessories for a short time on the 9v battery.
I have switched off the pin so it wont be necessary :)
gadj

Good thing you can switch it off - my suggestion applies to anyone experiencing the same situation & can't disable the pin or simply doesn't need the hasle of reprogramming. My stereo has a clock that I keep forgetting how to set - usually takes me 10 mins. or so to work out which 2 buttons put it into time set mode :roll:. I plan to get a memory saver soon.
So many delays to getting my MB back in order with 993cc & 5 speed transaxle... neighbor issue gone, donor shell up on rotisserie, new sheds on the way.... another project also..