Steve's F6A...

Chat about anything and everything.
stevan_istheman

Hey all, figured i'd better start thinking about building this F6A twin cam that i've had for a while now.
(Damn 4x4's are fun but steal so much time any money from you)

OK, Specs So Far:
Pistons - Forged JE units from here about 10-12 months back
Rods - Thinking about billet steel rods made on the sunny coast here (any opinions would be great, should i or shouldn't I?)
Crank - Debating Knife Edging, polishing, cryo treating or whatever (mainly because i want it to rev like a bike and i'm running a big turbo so the extra revs wont hurt)
Mains Girdle - Yes, i'm gonna make one... because i can. prolly T6 alloy
Oil pump - only just started looking at this, was thinking dry sump but now thinking of building bigger gears to pump more volume.
Oh, and i'll use ARP studs everywhere. :wink:

Thats about it for bottom end... I shouldnt have any reliability problems there.

Top End:
Cams - Dont know, opinions please.
Valves - 3 or 5 angle job, whatever i can get pretty much, Maybe bigger S/Steel Valves but it will be very cramped in there to stuff bigger ones in.
Valve Springs - Of course, i'll need some :censored: stiff ones.
Turbo - Garrett GT2056... said it was large for a 660. :wink: Still deciding if i should keep the internal gate or throw on an external just for ease of boost control (aiming for 20+ pounds)
Intercooler - I know, not exactly top end but to counter the HUGE lag i'll run air/water for minimum of piping.
Intake & Turbo manifolds - Custom, made by me
Fuel system - 300cc - 330cc injectors? More opinions please
ECU - Adaptronic at this point, but i'm open to suggestions

Should also add there will be ceramic coatings on most parts.

So basically i'm just opening it up for discussion so if there is anyone has vast experience in the engine building area.. *cough* Colin *cough* especially the high revving performance engine area, i'm all ears.
That will do for now, i've spilled my guts enough for a sunday arvo.
Thanks in advance guys.
BAL4 Designs
For all your mechanical design and drafting requirements.
zeek73

Mate the only advise I can offer is check out PLASMAMAN W2A intercoolers as I found them good to deal with and the product to be top notch. I believe they are a better product than PWR has to offer.
Cheers
Pete
gadj

:censored: :-o Stevo's finally looking like doing something with the sleeper...
:thumbup1: :thumbup1:
I have to wonder if the lag is going to be beyond practicality (not that I'm any turbo guru)
So many delays to getting my MB back in order with 993cc & 5 speed transaxle... neighbor issue gone, donor shell up on rotisserie, new sheds on the way.... another project also..
Brayden

A GT2026 is about bang on for a built 1L, or a streetable 1.3. On a 660 it would come on late and hard, so the motor will need to be high revving, and coupled with a bulletproof box. I can imagine 20 pound plus coming on at about 5000RPM will lead to many stripped teeth! (not before a lot of torque steer though. :twisted: )
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
stevan_istheman

Brayden wrote:A GT2026 is about bang on for a built 1L, or a streetable 1.3. On a 660 it would come on late and hard, so the motor will need to be high revving, and coupled with a bulletproof box. I can imagine 20 pound plus coming on at about 5000RPM will lead to many stripped teeth! (not before a lot of torque steer though. :twisted: )
Yeah, i was thinking about exploding gearboxes...
I'm definately gonna have to invest in a LSD from cusco but i've got 2 boxes plus 1 spare. (2x AWD and 1x FWD) :thumbup2:

On another note, BOV will be as small as i can get to avoid boost drop between gears... if i can get it back into the boost range quick enough that is.. :lol:
When i got my GT20 i was looking at turbine sizes and the specs aren't that far bigger than the GT12 from memory.
Anyway, antilag system anyone?
BAL4 Designs
mini_kompressor

Hi Steve, so how many revs are you thinking of pulling? The F8b i built for "Boosted boy" early last year had only stuff obtainable off the shelf used (chinese pistons and rings, good acl main bearings, no name brand big end bearings, lightly polished crank, all balanced) and was assembled following manufacuer specs and clearences, and regularly sees 8,0000+ rpm with no problems, bar a rebuilt oil pump which couldnt hack the pace. All fixed with a "Kazuma Mammoth puppy" also of chinese origin. This engine has done 30,000+ hard km's, and is driven daily. As long as you get tolerences and clearences right, you shouldn't have any problems. Advice: Good bloody oil pump, and fit an oil cooler :thumbup1:
just over 2l of oil doesnt take long to get too hot.
stevan_istheman

mini_kompressor wrote:Advice: Good bloody oil pump, and fit an oil cooler :thumbup1:
just over 2l of oil doesnt take long to get too hot.
Was planning on leaving room for oil cooler, or considering using civic radiator from an auto with trans oil cooler built in. Yes, i know the oil will heat up quicker but thats not always a bad thing... In the morning i'd rather have the oil up to operating temperature quickly than having slow moving, cold oil thats not lubricating my turbo properly. :wink:

Revs: Depends what rev limiter i can get to work, i want to be able to have a 2 stage limiter so off the line it will limit to say 5k but once i get rolling the 2nd stage is at 10-12-14k all depends how well they can balance the engine with the lightened crank, etc. (The engine will be balanced obviously)
BAL4 Designs
grant4561

The bottom end of the F6A motors is very strong anyway so you may not have to go to do all of the upgrades. Anymore than say 100 RWKW and you will have to upgrade the gearbox also.

Turbo sounds a tad big to me but that's up to the individual a GT12 would be my choice.

Anyway I am on the Sunny Coast also and have 3 cappo's with running Adaptronics so you may want to hook up some time.
gadj

Sounds like a variable vane or twin turbo could be favourable.
So many delays to getting my MB back in order with 993cc & 5 speed transaxle... neighbor issue gone, donor shell up on rotisserie, new sheds on the way.... another project also..
nelpd96

Another vote here for the Adaptronic, I run one on my race car and it is great, very intunitive and function with a very reasonable price.

Civic radiator will also be a great fit but you will have to check the clearance of the turbo because they are quite wide compared to the MB or Mini radiator. I don't have a heap of clearance between mine and the std G10 exhaust manifold. There are photos in my build thread anyway.

Cheers
Paul
stevan_istheman

Looks like Adaptronic gets the win, good to hear all the good reviews.
I may aswell stick with my GT20 for now, making another turbo manifold isnt a big problem, TIG welding is easy.
Gearbox has me a little worried but i do have access to CAD software and a Milling machine these days so straight cut gears might be the answer if i smash up one quick.. :D
BAL4 Designs
Brayden

The support for Adaptronic amongst the Cappo community will be a huge help, especially if you don't have a local tuner familiar with them. A mate put one in his Swift and ended up selling the car because he couldn't get it tuned right.

Knowing that the Cappo guys have maps makes me think seriously about using Adaptronic for my next build. Then again I already have maps for my Microtech, and it works well.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
grant4561

^ Yep, us Cappo guy's have heaps of map and base files which we have swapped around with great success.

At the end of the day its personal choice though and where you can get support when needed which you will with any aftermarket ecu.