Cheap Systems

Chat about anything and everything.
Munchskinman

Hi all. I am in search of a cheap sound system with some reasonable bass.
It was recently my birthday and after my birthday i now have birthday money.. im kind of hoping for 2 - 4 speakers a head unit an amp and 2 15inch or 12inch subs hopefully for under 700 now i know it can be done my friend has done it to hes corolla with some really cheap shit that sounds shit... Now although it was cheap im asking for quality anyone know some good dealers or brands that are cheap?
fritz

Some great deals to be had on ebay. I got speakers that way much cheaper than possible here. Be carefull with head units though as the radio stations m_may_ not work here (although I suspect they will).
Subs also may be too expensive to freight from the US.
Dudley

Be careful on ebay, some nasty shit on there. Your best option would be a set of 6" splits, a 4 channel amp and a 10 or 12" subwoofer. I recomend you head over to car audio australia (www.caraudioaustralia.com) and check out the for sale section on the forum. Your best bet is a jaycar response 4 channel amplifier, You'll want to spend more money on the splits so maybe some low end alpine gear but you could always go some vdo/jaycar if want really cheap. As for subs, low end kicker might be the best bet. Go check out CAA as u might be able to get some better gear for reasonable prices. Remember that your only getting what u pay for. I recently sold my 4 channel alpine amp for 180 and JLw3v2 sub for 120, too bad you were just alittle to late!

Pat
Project Mighty Mighty Boy 2006
Munchskinman

yeh i would most probably go to ebay but i got no credit card and some of the shit on there could be dogey. I was thinking of running my speakers of my head unit and getting an amp for the subs :twisted: i just want 6inch splits in my doors now anyway... if they were like 150watts would it go alright in a 45watt amplifier in my head unit? :? My mates are saying it wont go to its max potential which is where i want to be pumping it all day.. but my mates runs hes 6" splits and 6x9's off hes kenwood deck and it sounds alrigh....
Brayden

Cheapest and easiest system for bang for buck performance:

1 x head unit - JB currently have an awesome JVC unit for $198 that does MP3.
1 x 4 channel amplifier - spend a bit of cash here on a new Jaycar amp, or a good quality second hand amp. An amp with 4 x 45WRMS will have enough grunt to do what you need.
1 x pair of 6" splits. Clarion have these going as low as $150 on special at most car audio places.
1 x 10/12" sub - any decent brand will do, either new or second hand. (Pioneer/Clarion/etc)

You should be able to score all of that for around your budget price, maybe save a bit more if you have to.
With that system you can run the splits and the sub off the amp and get better quality sound and the ability to crank nice and loud. My system is based around that setup and it gives clear sound at any volume level.

I have a Clarion head unit, Clarion EQ, Clarion 6" splits, a 4 channel Kicker amp and 12" Fusion sub.
I've also bought one of the JVC MP3 head units I mentioned above and put it in the Alto - very impressive unit, especially when you look at the price.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
Munchskinman

that sounds alright but its hard to find i just went to JB-HiFi Audio and shit it was expensive i was like can you drop the price at all the guy goes ill give you a great deal off any sub you buy and it was like 5bucks off.... what are some good cheap companies now :lol:
Brayden

Grab the latest catalogues from AutoBarn, Strathfield, JB HiFi and SuperCheap. Between those places you should be able to get a system.

Either that or take your wad of cash to somewhere like JB HiFi and tell them you have X dollars to spend and you want a stereo system with a deck, splits, sub and a four channel amp. They should be able to cut you a better deal.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
ferdie

Do your home work first

once u know what u want and can talk confidently about the products go in 2 jb and make them slut thier prices, and in doing this say.

"i want _____ headunit, the guy at northfield/strathfield/wow sight and sound(which ever store is the closest competition) said he would do it for $X (making sure to say bout $50 less than jb's price) do this for the whole system and u will save serious coin.....

in car audio the general proffit margin is 30-60% depending on brand and item so in asking for 40% of the rrp sale price u will most times be believed and they will try match the price......

im that well known at my local jb that the sales dude i deal with knows me by name and i dont even ask for discount now, i usually get 40% off cable and other bits and pieces cos jb is the closest to my place that stocks that kind of stuff and im always using it.....
Munchskinman

Thanks guys for all your advice im going to try and visit all my car audio stores on the weekend lol :wink:
I will also be using all your information just hope it works :fingersx:
Dudley

Brayden wrote:Cheapest and easiest system for bang for buck performance:

1 x head unit - JB currently have an awesome JVC unit for $198 that does MP3.
1 x 4 channel amplifier - spend a bit of cash here on a new Jaycar amp, or a good quality second hand amp. An amp with 4 x 45WRMS will have enough grunt to do what you need.
1 x pair of 6" splits. Clarion have these going as low as $150 on special at most car audio places.
1 x 10/12" sub - any decent brand will do, either new or second hand. (Pioneer/Clarion/etc)
2 great minds think alike!
Ferdie: Would that heppen to be the indooroopilly JB? I've seen you driving round in the boy and im also mates with Coinslot from caa (just alittle info so u dont think im stalking you)
Project Mighty Mighty Boy 2006
Josh

Munchskinman wrote:i just went to JB-HiFi Audio and shit it was expensive i was like can you drop the price at all the guy goes ill give you a great deal off any sub you buy and it was like 5bucks off...
As Brayden and Ferdie have more or less inferred; If you waltz in there and it's clear to the staff that you're only a tyre-kicker there's no way they're going to be straight with you about what kind of a deal they can do you. Don't go talking up deals until you've got the cash in the pocket and you're ready to throw it at them with absolute confidence.
[url=http://www.tamon.org/?page=owners&id=10][img]http://www.tamon.org/forum/images/ute_specs.gif[/img][/url]
Munchskinman

No. I got the cash it just seems reasonably high, $200 for a 12inch JBL sub. C'mon i was freaking out man :P
Josh

Oh I know you've got some cash to throw at it! You told us so! :)

What I highlighting is that unless the staff are utterly convinced you've got the cash in your pocket and are ready to spend it right there right now, you're not going to receive anysignificant discount.
[url=http://www.tamon.org/?page=owners&id=10][img]http://www.tamon.org/forum/images/ute_specs.gif[/img][/url]
ferdie

the trick is 2 know exactly what u want and work from there, as often they will be trying 2 move certain stock weather or not it is really what is best for u......

that way u can put your coin on the table there and then when the deal is presented, or walk away if its not what u want...

and dudley, yeah its indro jb
Scottc123

im running mostly jaycar gear in mine apart from the deck which is a JVC and 6x9s which are kenwood
system consists of, response 4x100wrms amp repsonse splits, Dual 12" venoms in bandpass box, and the kenwood 6x9s, my friend is running the same in his lancer and got 141db at sound off, wasnt bad considering we both didnt spend over $1000