points gap

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
Flinny

Had trouble getting hold of some points that would fit, my father thinks he has got hold of some but they could not tell him at what gap to set them-any help appreciated?Also disy cap has what looks like the mitsubishi symbol on it ,would this be right ? Now for the tricky one-i lost all power when i got car home, worked out a broken wire-good -fixed that now motor cranking will not fire(still got old points inand they are stuffed)battery seems to go flat but if i leave it for about 5-10 mins then try again its back to full charge again. I am no mechanic and would like to try and sort some problems out myself & not just rely on my mechanic to fix everything, for own self knowledge and back pocket. Last thing-is it possible to get hold of a manual, i have the handbook that obviously came with car when new but I would like a little more detail if possible. Its 1986 543cc lovely yellow mighty man...Thanks regards Flinny
jono

Gap: 0.4-0.5mm should do it.
Mitsubishi symbol? Hmm, not sure about that :? Might be better off getting a another one from Repco or something, but if it works....
You might have to do a full check - like points, plugs etc...
Speed Limited: I'm Pedalling as Fast as I Can
1987 Mighty Boy
Injected F8B (love it!)

http://www.freewebs.com/fitre/
Flinny

jono thanks for that went to your site and got all the specs i need, looks like i have a bit to do-back to the shed(again) But yeah disy cap & rotor definetly have the mits symbol on them both - ah the joys of a motor project hey-this maybe worse than motorbikes!
ceej

Just cause it has the bits-missing logo, doesn't mean its actually Mitsubishi motor corp, the ones that actually make cars.

Just a hint though, Check all of your fuses, check that you are getting spark, check that you are getting fuel and work from there. That way, you know where to start fixing rather than just waisting time and money on things that don't need to be done. :wink:
Garry. Nuff sed!
me217

Flinny wrote:worked out a broken wire-good -fixed that now motor cranking will not fire
check your fuses.

me217
me217

1985 suzuki mighty boy : mods, f8b
1990 toyota mr2 gt import : mods, turbo timer, short shifter, 2.5" exhaust
1992 suzuki sierra : mods, g16b mpfi, 235's/75, snorkel & lift on the way.
Flinny

ceej-yeah roger that i will have to a bit more open minded reagrding whats in it, just found a piece of paper under passenger seat saying import motor fitted at 104.000 ks so about 35.000ks ago, fuses all ok, spark at distributor, will do fuel next (after new points go in)have replaced plugs, leads etc..Will keep going told wife i may pick it up and put it in the lounge room which would be easier to work on-she didnt laugh.. regards Flinny
mowog

fit a new condenser as well, just replacing the points will often result in the condenser breaking down. always do both as a set when changing.
niiko

Is there an echo in here?
mowog

dunno. is there a large void?
Gladier

I do have to say flinny ... thats one NICE post count :lol: :lol: :lol:

jono

:lol: Yep I agree. 2,396,744 posts a day! "Ultimate Kei".
Speed Limited: I'm Pedalling as Fast as I Can
1987 Mighty Boy
Injected F8B (love it!)

http://www.freewebs.com/fitre/
Flinny

Dont understand why so many posts, I am new to all this please tell me if i am doing something wrong, i only wish to try and get some inside knowledge of these MB's,so i get can get it up to its former glory. regards Flinny
Brayden

Don't worry Flinny, it is just a glitch with the forum. It will be fixed as soon as our resident forum guru has time. 8)
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
Flinny

ok, thanks Brayden-was getting nervous that i was doing something wrong.
regads Flinny
Gladier

Flinny wrote:ok, thanks Brayden-was getting nervous that i was doing something wrong.
regads Flinny
he hacked the system !!!! argh!!!! run-away!!! :lol: