Wrong rings?

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
daronk18

Im looking at getting back into the mightyboy scene and looked at one the other day. The guy said the motor had been rebuild but the guy put the wrong rings in? Is that possible? And would that cause it to smoke a little when it heats up? cheers
gadj

It is possible. Could simply be the right rings incorrectly installed ie. upside down or gaps in wrong place. There are differing ring designs (usually relating to position on piston) and materials ie. cast, chromium & others. More likely is the situation where the bore wasn't measured correctly & the wrong size rings were installed eg. STD rings installed where first oversize might have been appropriate.
I experienced similar symptoms with an engine that had not been run in correctly & the bores had glazed up.

Do not take my word for gospel - talk to an engine builder. I am not professionally qualified, life experience only.
So many delays to getting my MB back in order with 993cc & 5 speed transaxle... neighbor issue gone, donor shell up on rotisserie, new sheds on the way.... another project also..
daronk18

thanks for that i will have to track the guy down that did the rebuild.