need certain speedo cable for my mightyboy

Chat about anything and everything.
mightyute

hey folks

im thinking of buying this mightyboy but it has had a f5a 800cc engine conversion but is missing the correct type of speedo cable.

the bloke says he cant remember now, but its either a male or female connection needed to connect to the gearbox.

anyone know what type of cable is needed to connect to a f5a gearbox ?

cheers
gadj

Would be nice if I had photo's or diagrams avail. but the only way to find out is look at the speedo drive on the transaxle. The one I am familiar with has a round, slotted drive boss.
F5a is 550cc
F8a is 800cc
So many delays to getting my MB back in order with 993cc & 5 speed transaxle... neighbor issue gone, donor shell up on rotisserie, new sheds on the way.... another project also..
mightyute

whats the average km's a 800cc f8a engine will last ?

will try get pics asap
Billie

How hard has it been driven? Average is anywhere from 150-300,000 km's i'd say, they have to rev hard to keep up so they wont last too long. If your speedo drive has a sort of small rectangle that sticks up then its the same as mine then just look for a cable that has a slot that it slides into, the other type has the small rectangle in the cable, which slots into the speedo drive. If needed i can send a speedo drive with matching cable.
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝
gadj

Uncertain there but I'd expect up to 200 000K's out of a well respected & properly maintained motor.
Most wont get quite that far though, they are too much fun to go too easy on them. Mine made far less than 120 000 due to misinformation regarding E10 fuel - I ended up shattering a ring & embedding part thereof into the piston crown.
Rebuilds are not a huge hasle for those with the ability - those that are not able to do it themselves can find themselves looking at $1200 to $2000 depending on the rebuilder ( the size of the rebuilders boat/hobby horse) & the required work.
So many delays to getting my MB back in order with 993cc & 5 speed transaxle... neighbor issue gone, donor shell up on rotisserie, new sheds on the way.... another project also..
Dave

The F8B in my Hatch is coming up on 340,000 k's. Still goes pretty good, not the healthiest/most reliable though :)
gadj

Wow, Dave... that is impressive! Getting into the life expectancy for larger petrol engines & diesels there.
Husky

Dave,
Are you 100% it hasnt been rebuilt? How do you know it wasnt rebuilt at 200,000km :?:
Billie

340,000 i'd say its has a rebuild or too in its life. Check the engine number matches the vin plate. Our rodeo has 370,000 and is in need of a rebuild, good old 4ze1.
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝
Dave

Sorry, should have added that. I have no idea if it has or hasn't been rebuilt at some period in it's life. It was an ex-company car for an air conditioning service in Ipswich though, so high K's would be expected.

Oh and all numbers match up. :D
Billie

Lol i'd say pull the head off and measure the bore to see if ts been bored out but thats alot of effort.
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝