water getting in!

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
macdee

starting up my engine today, cranking it over and there is water coming through the oil feeds and sitting in the oil baths. 100% the head is not warped. 100% its not gaskets. all bolts are tightened.

has anyone experianced this or know whats going on?
Brayden

Water coming through which oil feeds? ... and what is an oil bath?
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
macdee

where the oil gets fed through the path into the cylinder head. theres 2 holes in both left and right top corner right? i can see water dripping from them. and iols baths is just the bottom of the cylinder head i guess. didnt know what to call it lol

also is there meant to be core plugs in the cylinder head?
macdee

pic of something like it
Attachments
cylinder head.jpg
Brayden

I had a similar problem on a Swift once. Turned out the head had cracked between a couple of cam journals.

Apart from that the only other explanation is the gasket was fitted incorrectly or is a dud.
gadj

Memory has it the head gasket is almost symmetrical therefore easily put on the wrong way around thus blocking either an oil feed or water gallery.
Appears to me the head will have to come off, so you would be very wise to have it checked for straightness hardness & crack tested if not also machined. Take note of the way the head gasket is sitting (mark it) - the engine shop can read faults via stains, impressions etc.on the gasket.
I have seen heads with cracks straight down the cam journals, not visible until the cam was removed & the head crack tested.
Also put a straight edge on the block as per the manual on this site to see that it is not also needing planeing.
Core plugs? Do you mean welch plugs?
So many delays to getting my MB back in order with 993cc & 5 speed transaxle... neighbor issue gone, donor shell up on rotisserie, new sheds on the way.... another project also..
macdee

yeah the head has been crack tested and machined so i can cross them off. um what are welch plugs? are they plugs on the bottom of the head?

also with the gasket i can only see one way for it to go on, which was to line up the correct hole on the gasket to the oil feed on the head. so im 100% that is correct.
Brayden

The only welsch plugs on an F series are in the block.

If you're sure that the head isn't cracked/warped, the gasket is on correctly (and hasn't blown), and that the head is tensioned then the source of your water must be magic, because there's no other way it can get into the top of the motor.
gadj

That is what got me... I dont remember seeing any motor with welsch plugs in the head in all my parts or other experience. Casting marks that appear alike plugs, yes. :NFI:

The F series do have tube inserts to locate the head on the block & I vaguely remember an oil feed but...
So many delays to getting my MB back in order with 993cc & 5 speed transaxle... neighbor issue gone, donor shell up on rotisserie, new sheds on the way.... another project also..
mowog

the intake manifold gasket on my f5 leaked water into the head and got into the top of the head. I would check that. unfortunately its easier to pull the head than the manifold.
Brayden

mowog, any chance of some more details? I don't understand how a leaking manifold gasket would allow water into the top of the head. Combustion chamber yeah, but there's no passage from the top oil gallery to the inlet manifold.

I'd be interested in the cause for future reference.
Billie

Yeah i'd like to know too. I would have thought it would just let gases into the coolant or coolant into the combustion chamber, or just leak.
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝
mowog

I am not sure but my guess is that the water leaked in to the cylinder when the motor was not used, when started the compression forced the water down past the rings into the oil pan then condensed up in the top of the head. same as with a leaking head gasket.
macdee

so pulled my rockers out and there are 3 plugs on the bottom of the head. i think they are meant to pop to release pressure. anyways mine are leaking so hopefully replace them and get the timing right and the hatch should be ready to turn over.
macdee

ok so i replaced the plugs and they are no longer leaking water. but now when the oil comes out of the feeds into the head its mixed with water. could this be water pump failure?