Short shift gear stick - Move back and high

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
holk

Has anyone ever attempted to move back and up the gear stick in a MB?
I am planning to make a short shift stick, moving it back and higher. I would like ideally to use the same hole for the rod to go through, but I am not sure is it would be wide and long enough.
Brayden

I have also thought about moving the shifter backwards, it is awfully close to the dash! My solution (which I haven't actually done yet) is to heat and bend the shifter twice to put a kink in it, that will effectively move it backwards and shorten it at the same time.

The only downside is it might affect shifting... and considering that changing gears in an MB is like stirring a bowl of soup it might take some getting used to! :lol:
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
holk

I have already done that, but the excursion of the stick is way too long and not linear (ie in 2nd is very back, and in 1st is very high). Only solution is to move the lever completely and try to keep the same path
ToranaGuy

An interesting idea, and one i could probably play with, my shifter needs to be rebuilt & i have a spare in the shed, i might look at heating it & bending it back, or i'll just make a new top piece for the shifter.

Cheers

ToranaGuy
It's update time MB Parts list! send part info to toranaguy74@optusnet.com.au|
mowog

if you can extend the lever bit that goes below the pivot point under the floor you reduce the ratio of movement between the top and bottom of the lever, why not have a look at extending that? might have some realigning of the shift shaft or maybe raise the whole setup on its mounts but it might work.
jeff

howdy , havent looked at relocating ,but in the conversion(g10) used the Swift selecter and took200mm out of the gear shift to stop the grazed knuckle effect ,this seemed to work (Iam 6ft 2)and was comfortable .From mmemory there is a slight backward slant on the swift part possible graft,worth a thought.cheers
blueprintute

Brayden wrote:The only downside is it might affect shifting... and considering that changing gears in an MB is like stirring a bowl of soup it might take some getting used to! :lol:
Is there anything that can be done to take the slop out of the shifter ie a detent kit or is there a nylon bush in there that could be replaced or anything? Surely they were not sloppy from factory?
87 Mighty Boy! Black . . . FOR SALE!!
03 XR6 Turbo Ute
09 250R Ninja
Brayden

Actually they were that sloppy when new. The two bushes on the shifter (fulcrum and linkage) are both nylon from factory.
ToranaGuy

Brayden wrote:Actually they were that sloppy when new. The two bushes on the shifter (fulcrum and linkage) are both nylon from factory.
So my sloppy shifter probably isn't as bad as i thought it was then! I found my spare shifter in the shed last night, doing a cleanup. I should go buy a bush kit & rebuild it.....

Cheers

ToranaGuy
Trevor

On my g10 coversion i had to weld the linkage which made the stick angle back a little which was good
Billie

I know this is an old thread, but incase anyone was wondering.

With mine i got a peice cut out of the middle, now its quite small, then fiddled with the rear engine mount, until i got a smooth gear change, then tightened the bolts on the shifter, also have new bushes, theres bearly any play, makes for short shifts. Hope that helps.
ToranaGuy

nova_66 wrote:I know this is an old thread, but incase anyone was wondering.

With mine i got a peice cut out of the middle, now its quite small, then fiddled with the rear engine mount, until i got a smooth gear change, then tightened the bolts on the shifter, also have new bushes, theres bearly any play, makes for short shifts. Hope that helps.
Nice man, any pics at all?

Cheers

ToranaGuy
Billie

I'll take one today.
Billie

Brayden

So you just cut a section out of the gear shifter between the knob and base? Sorry but that doesn't shorten the length of the shift at all!

To shorten the throw you need to cut the shifter below the fulcrum joint and extend it. ;)